Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Question Advice needed…Sony DSC-P41 vs. Nikon CoolPix 2500

Hello all,

I’m currently have the Nikon Coolpix 2500 and it works well, but a few things have led me to look at a new camera and I wanted to get some input from you guys (the experts).

Here’s the link to the Nikon:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25502

The negatives about the Nikon:
    Only 2MP
    Takes a while between shots
    The biggest negative is that it takes a while from when I start to take the shot to when the shot is actually taken (I press the shutter button, but it takes a second or two before it takes the shot, sometimes missing the shot entirely)

I just ordered the Sony DSC-P41 because:
    Very affordable price for a 4.1MP digital camera
    Reviews have said it takes quick pictures and that it also can take back to back pictures quickly.
    The battery feature is appealing to me (you can either use the rechargeable one or 2AA batteries.

Here’s the link to the Sony:
    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ductSKU=DSCP41

Is this Sony DSC-P41 a significant improvement over the Nikon Coolpix 2500 ???

All I really use the camera for is family pictures of the kids and/or family events. I don't really know much about digital cameras and haven't used many of the features of the Nikon 2500 and don't plan on using many of the features of the new camera either.

Thanks in advance for any and all input !!!!
    Last edited by ffrllc; 07-26-2004 at 01:22 PM.

Good Decision

I think you made a good decision. Generally, the compact digital Nikons don't get the greatest reviews here. And the Nikon Coolpix 2500 got extra-mised reviews.The Sony P-series cameras have always been faster than most and the P41 looks like they've made a serious effort to speed it up, with their new Real Imaging Processor. And you can't go wrong going from 2 to 4 megapixels.

As far as I can tell, the only thing you're giving up is a real optical zoom. The P41 has a fixed, 33mm lens with 3x digital zoom. But since it has twice as much resolution, you can just crop your images and end up with the same image quality you'd have with most Coolpix 2500 photos. You're only giving up a little on the telephoto end. But I think the lack of shutter-lag and increased resolution will make up for the fixed lens. It would for me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think you made a good decision. Generally, the compact digital Nikons don't get the greatest reviews here. And the Nikon Coolpix 2500 got extra-mised reviews.The Sony P-series cameras have always been faster than most and the P41 looks like they've made a serious effort to speed it up, with their new Real Imaging Processor. And you can't go wrong going from 2 to 4 megapixels.

As far as I can tell, the only thing you're giving up is a real optical zoom. The P41 has a fixed, 33mm lens with 3x digital zoom. But since it has twice as much resolution, you can just crop your images and end up with the same image quality you'd have with most Coolpix 2500 photos. You're only giving up a little on the telephoto end. But I think the lack of shutter-lag and increased resolution will make up for the fixed lens. It would for me.
    Thanks Photo-John,

I was just confused as to why a 4MP camera from Sony would be in the same price range as the 2MP from Nikon. Glad you think the Sony is an upgrade.

PS I haven't really used the zoom much so far. If that's the only downgrade from the Nikon to the Sony, I'll be happy. I'm looking forward to the increased shutter speed and higher resolution pictures.

Thanks again...

Thread Information