Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

About to buy Nikon CoolPix 5700 need advice on lens selection

Hello,

Well I am bout to go out and buy the Nikon CoolPix 5700, however i do not have a clue to which lens will best fit my needs.

I will use this dslr to take pictures of jewelry, mostly gold items with some stones. I use a lightbox or photo box, which is a box that lights up from all sides. I put the items in it and use the hole on top to take the pictures of it.

Is this camera a good choice for me? should i possibly looks for something else? As for the lens i understand i need a "micro" lens? i need something to be able to get all of the details from close ups, and something to handle the brightness in the box?

I need to purchase everything very soon, so please any kind of advice is dearly appreciated, THANK YOU!

Michael-
    The Coolpix 5700 isn't a digital SLR. It's a compact digital camera with a built-in zoom lens. You can get conversion lenses for it. But they won't be the same as having completely changeable lenses as you'd have with a digital SLR. Most compact digital cameras have pretty good close-up capabilities. What will the end-product of your photography be? Are you going to be selling jewelry on ebay or are you going to be making prints? If you're only going to be using the photos for the Web, the Coolpix 5700 is probably fine. But if you want to do some printing at sizes larger than 8x10, you should consider getting a digital SLR. However, if you do decide a digital SLR is what you need, be prepared to spend $1500- 2000 to get started.

I hope that helps. It sounds like you're a little confused about the different types of digital cameras. Let us know if you have more questions.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information