Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

AARRRGGGHHH help with which camera to buy

Hi good people, I need some sound advice
    I have spent the last two evenings researching which compact digital to upgrade to and it's making my head bulge!!!
    I brought a fuji finepix A607 just over a year ago and it's really given me the photography buzz, I got it cos it was cheap and have taken some nice photos but the camera does have its limitations.
    I know what I want, but BLIMEY there are so many cameras to choose from
    up until an hour ago I thought I'd be settling with a canon ixus 55
    but then a Panasonic, then a Fuji popped in my head! honestly my brain really is spinning cos i want to get this purchase right.
    OK, I know I want a compact camera,
    I'd like 4megapixels plus
    I'd like super optical zoom
    with a really fab Macro distance (love my close ups)
    Movie option with sound would be nice but not the most important requirement
    now I'm thinking I really need image stability (which the Ixus 55 doesn't have)
    But above all I want really crisp photos (my current fuji can be quite noisy out of sunlight)

so what do u guys advise?
    am i asking for to much?
    oh God theres so many cameras to choose from
    a big thanks in advance for any light u may be able to show on my question

Re: AARRRGGGHHH help with which camera to buy

just been reading about the Digital IXUS 800 IS which has 800 iso compared to ixus 55 iso 400.
    taking photos indoors of my newborn is taking up most of my photography at the moment so should I be going for better iso?
    its just that lthough the iso is better with the ixus 800, the ixus 55 has better macro

Check the specs on the Kodak Z7590. Everything you asked for.

I find my Panasonic FZ20 quite noisy and only shoot at ISO 80 because of it. The IS is really good however and I like the macro too although it's not as versatile exposure wise on macros.

What limitations were most problematic on your old camera?

For examples you can go to the "Find all threads started b" lin in my profile.
    ----------------------------

the Kodak Z7590 seems handy with a nice spec, but I would hardly call it compact, yet to check out the Panasonic.
    as i mentioned earlier my Fuji is a great camera to start out with but has it's limitations;
    slow start up,
    average macro distance
    limited movie function,
    difficulty with getting true colours indoors
    having said that, with a mini tripod and set on timer, out in the field I have taken some pleasant snaps.
    the idea of a newersmaller more "practical to carry all the time for that special shot" appeals to me and the Fuji only just squeezes into a pocket :-)
    thank you so far for taking the time to reply, I really needed some help like i say and was worried that this was one "which camera" question to many and would annoy.
    I really have tried to research which camera i need theres just so many!

Thread Information