Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Compact/semi-compact digital closest to an SLR?

I know, the dreaded "which camera" question, but I don't have much time to research and would like some quick feedback. So this is more of a "drive-by" question.

Which compact digital camera out on the market today comes the CLOSEST to being like a digital SLR in terms of (in this order):

Speed (shutter lag & AF)
    Noise (standard being Canon Rebel or 20D/30D)
    Overall image quality
    Control (manual controls)
    Format (3:2 image ration)

Thanks in advance
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Re: Compact/semi-compact digital closest to an SLR?

Ok, I guess people are getting fed up with these types of questions.

So, I spent a few hours (at work:hand: ) and it seems like the following might fit the bill:

Canon G7
    Olympus SP-550UZ
    Fujifilm E900

Which of these 3 would you choose and why? For reference, I currently have a Canon D30, and a Fuji F30. I obviously notice the difference between the two cameras and know the Fuji's limitations, but for the most part I can still take pictures that I am pleased with. I just finding myself not taking my D30 with me as much as I used to because it's just so much bulk and so much equipment. Would like a more portable solution w/out the huge performance sacrifice.
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Good to dee you here, Bruce. Sorry no one answered your question right away. Cameras don't inspire quite the kind of passion as mountain bikes do, I think

Of the three cameras you mentioned, I'd probably choose the G7. I really, really like having a compact camera with image stabilization. I think it makes a huge difference in the number of successful photos you get - especially if you are riding and shooting in the trees or at sunset. I've been using a Canon PowerShot A640 recently. I'm not 100% positive, but I think it's basically a simplified version of the G7. It has a 10-megapixel sensor, the shutter-lag is pretty minimal, and the image quality is excellent. I'd say that's a great, and less expensive alternative. You will be giving up the flash hotshoe and image stabilization, though. On the other hand, you'll gain a swivel LCD which is actually pretty useful.

I haven't used either of the other two cameras you mentioned, although we do have a Fujifilm super zoom on the way for review. I have used the Olympus SP-350 and I really liked it. For one, it's very small for a camera with all the features it has. It doesn't have the reach of the SP-550. But it will fit in a little case on your backpack shoulder strap. I think that might be tough for the 550.

I would also recommend looking at the Casio compacts. I don't think they have the best image quality. But the combination of compact size, speed, and features they offer is excellent. One of my favorite compact digital cameras ever was the Casio Exilim EX-Z750. It had full manual exposure controls and easily fit in a pants pocket.

Hope that helps give you a little more direction. I've been really busy working on other projects. But I should be able to keep a closer eye on this forum over the next few days. So if you have more questions, I'll do my best to make sure you get an answer.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Porter's Camera Store Employee

I agree with John, the G7 is definately the way to go. I've used both the Fuji and the Olympus... and if you take all of the good points from each of those cameras and combined them, you would get the G7.

The Fuji has exceptional speed, but the menus aren't very easy to navigate and the image quality isn't quite up to par with the Canon. The Olympus has a great zoom range, but the speed of operation is quite slow and it runs on AA batteries (I believe the Fuji uses AA's as well, but I'm not sure about that). The image on the Olympus can get quite noisy as well.

The G7 is has great speed, a great lens, great construction, a superior processor, cheaper and more affordable memory, a reliable lithium ion battery, and on top of all of that, it's easy to use. I would say go with the G7.

No problem, John. It's always good to go out and do the research on your own. I guess the reason so many people post these types of questions here is that they (including me) really respect the opinion of the people on these boards, so its just seems easier sometimes to go straight to "the source" and find out.

But I'm glad I did the research, it's helped me "catch up" a bit on what's been going on lately in the camera world, and has made me think harder on what I'm really looking for and what expectations I should have going into this decision.

So, really, no worries about not a lighting quick response, I'm glad I was forced to research. In fact it's been great getting back on these boards and reading opinions/insight about all things photography. I really enjoyed reading your (John) opinions and experience with the XTi and how you've been trying to avoid the pro gear and test the limits of the "non-pro" gear. I think many of us "enthusiasts" tend to be drawn towards feeling like we "need" pro gear when in reality we could get by with alot less.

In terms of my original question, it's funny because I came to the same conclusion, that the G7 is probably the one that I would be most pleased with. So far I've been pretty pleased with my wife's F30, so as far as a compact camera I can always borrow hers when I need, although I have always wanted to try some of the Casio compacts that you've mentioned. I realize the G7 will have its limitations (just like I do with the F30), but I think as long as I recognize this and not expect too much, I'll be able to be satisfied with the purchase.

Anybody in the El Paso area that has one that I could try out? We could do a camera swap (my D30) for a day or so. If not, is there an online shop with a really good exchange policy? I usually buy my equipment from B&H, Newegg, or even (gasp ) Circuit City (that's where I got my wife's F30; incredible deal; better than online).
    60Hz Productions

Thread Information