Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

100$ and i want a camera.

Ok. So, i got 100 bucks and i want a digital camera but, i dont want a crapy one. so i was looking at walmart.com and well..

http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...+500000.500002
    theres a list of all the cameras 50$ - 100$
    Here is the one i think im going to buy.. Vivitar 5100
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4840432 (Scroll down to see specs)
    its on sale "Was: $99.64" and on Amazon.com i get -
    "List Price: $161.95
    Price: $99.99"
    So im guessing its good.

But before i buy it i want to no if i should, from someone who used it before or from soemone who knows cameras.

5 megapixels is better then 3 megapixels right.. lol because most other cameras for this price i see are in the 3MP - 3.5MP range.

Anyway, sorry for my bad grammer.
    Need reply ASAP please, going shopping tonight.
    Thanks
    Last edited by matrex; 06-26-2006 at 08:06 AM.

Re: 100$ and i want a camera.

Hi Matrex,

I don't know anything about any of these cameras specifically, but I recommend you browse the Reviews section of this sight, to see if you can find more specific information.

One thing to look for is optical zoom. Most of these seem to have digital zoom. Digital zoom basically crops the image file, which means you record less detail. You want to avoid that if possible. I'm not sure exactly what you'll be doing with the camera, but in most cases a 3 mp camera with optical zoom will be better than a 5 mp camera with no optical zoom. But, if none of the cameras in your price range have optical zoom, then the extra megapixels (5 vs 3) will give you more detail to work with when you decide to crop.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Paul

I say buy a USED CANON POWERSHOT G2 from EBAY. It's a great camera with all the P&S features with fully manual controls. It's 4MP, with a hot shoe, and shoots in RAW.

I swear this camera is truly underpriced.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I'd dodge that Vivatar, just my opinion. Most of the ones we sell are returned.

Try going to your local store and see what they have on clearance, you may find something better. I know we have a Nikon Coolpix for around $120 at my location, it is a little more, but worth the difference.

jeez - want to buy something under $100 but dont want junk?

If you dont need to buy right away, I suggest saving another $50 or $100 and getting another step up camera. Konica Minolta makes a fantastic 12x optical zoom 6mp camera for $230-$275, also has an image stabilizer and it takes SD's. I think it was the DiMAGE Z6. Not sure if its still on sale at some places, check ebay.

**I checked ebay, heres a link thats over in 18hours, its at $81+shipping right now. seems to be a reputable seller. I'd trust it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/260-Konica-Minol...QQcmdZViewItem

or even this is fantastic. 4mp, and 10x optical
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830126013
    which is $230, when they are in stock, but idk if they will be because KM went to sony now..

Save save save, the more you can wait, the more happy you will be with that digital camera. pick what features you need, what you can slip by with, and what you will be happy with, and go from there.

***Sorry if ebay sales arent allowed to be posted, as I know some forums dont like it. if they arent, would an admin please erase my post, or correct it. thanks.
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

Thread Information