X200 to be full frame

I heard the rumor a couple of weeks ago. But rumors seem to be accurate here lately.
    X-roadmap 2014/2015: Weather sealed lenses and Full Frame X? | Fuji Rumors
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: X200 to be full frame

A lot of that information sounds a little off to me. I don't know who actually produces sensors for Fujifilm, but they're nothing at all like anything Sony makes. And I don't see why Fujifilm would be interested in using the same full-frame sensors that are already being used in Nikon and Sony cameras. If they do have a full-frame camera in the works, I would fully expect it to use the same X-Trans sensor design they're using in their other cameras. The Fujfilm camera designs are really nice. But it's the X-Trans sensor that really makes them special.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I agree John. I guess we will see in time. Five years ago I would have bet full frame would be a thing of the past with improvements with APS-C sensors.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I agree John. I guess we will see in time. Five years ago I would have bet full frame would be a thing of the past with improvements with APS-C sensors.
    Yeah. You could argue that it *should* have been a thing of the past. However, a larger sensor with larger pixels will always be better - at least when image quality is the number one priority. Plus, camera companies have marketed full-frame cameras well and made enthusiasts believe they really need them. I don't think they're going to go away any time soon.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    A lot of that information sounds a little off to me. I don't know who actually produces sensors for Fujifilm, but they're nothing at all like anything Sony makes. And I don't see why Fujifilm would be interested in using the same full-frame sensors that are already being used in Nikon and Sony cameras. If they do have a full-frame camera in the works, I would fully expect it to use the same X-Trans sensor design they're using in their other cameras. The Fujfilm camera designs are really nice. But it's the X-Trans sensor that really makes them special.
    Actually Sony makes sensors for Fuji. There are not that many sensor manufacturers out there. Sony, Canon, Samsung, Toshiba and Aptina are the ones which are found in advanced cameras. Fuji uses Sony sensors, but employs a non-standard Color Filter Array.
    Flickr
    Blog
    Gear: Nikon V1, Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 and Nikkor 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6. 25mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 C-Mount lenses. The cheapo, plastic variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
    Actually Sony makes sensors for Fuji. There are not that many sensor manufacturers out there. Sony, Canon, Samsung, Toshiba and Aptina are the ones which are found in advanced cameras. Fuji uses Sony sensors, but employs a non-standard Color Filter Array.
    Could be. It's just such a different sensor configuration that it seems unlikely to me. I know you're right about there being few sensor manufacturers, though. Where did you get that manufacturer information?
    Photo-John

Could be. It's just such a different sensor configuration that it seems unlikely to me.
    IIRC it's the same sensor like in the D7000, Ricoh GR, Nikon A, some Sony NEXes, etc.
    The only difference is the Color Filter Array, which can be changed easily.

I know you're right about there being few sensor manufacturers, though. Where did you get that manufacturer information?
    You mean the list of manufacturers or the info on who is making sensors for Fuji?
    If it's the sensor for Fuji you are referring to, it's not that hard to guestimate who could be making them. As far as I know Sony is currently the only company making 16MP APSC sensors. I think it's the same one like in the cameras mentioned above, but with a couple of Fuji tweaks (on sensor Phase-AF).
    If you are referring to the list of manufacturers, I forgot to mention Kodak or rather former Kodak's division. I don't know what they are called now, but they are still making sensors. If I'm not mistaken they make the Leica M9 sensor.
    Flickr
    Blog
    Gear: Nikon V1, Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 and Nikkor 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6. 25mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4 C-Mount lenses. The cheapo, plastic variety.

You mean the list of manufacturers or the info on who is making sensors for Fuji?
    If it's the sensor for Fuji you are referring to, it's not that hard to guestimate who could be making them. As far as I know Sony is currently the only company making 16MP APSC sensors. I think it's the same one like in the cameras mentioned above, but with a couple of Fuji tweaks (on sensor Phase-AF).
    If you are referring to the list of manufacturers, I forgot to mention Kodak or rather former Kodak's division. I don't know what they are called now, but they are still making sensors. If I'm not mistaken they make the Leica M9 sensor.
    I was hoping you had some documentation about who made the sensor. Everything you say makes sense but I thought maybe you had a source for specific information.
    Photo-John

I was hoping you had some documentation about who made the sensor. Everything you say makes sense but I thought maybe you had a source for specific information.
    Unfortunately not.
    Flickr
    Blog

Unfortunately not.
    Yeah, I did a Google search after my last post and couldn't find anything. I think your educated guess is a good one, though. I hadn't thought it through about the filter on the sensor just being a filter. But after I thought about it, it made perfect sense. Pentax buys the sensor with their own filter array spec'd, then their engineers create the software to interpolate the data that comes through that filter.
    Photo-John

Thread Information