Sony NEX-5R With Built-In Phase Detect AF

Have you guys seen the new NEX-5R Sony announced this week? They almost snuck this one past me and it's actually a pretty big deal. Basically, it's an upgraded NEX-5N, a camera I reviewed this spring and loved. But they upgraded the sensor with embedded phase detect AF points to improve continuous auto focus performance. I haven't seen any reports yet on performance but I'm very curious to find out how well it works. The Nikon 1 cameras had a similar system and it worked great. But so does Canon's new T4i / 650D and it doesn't work so great. So it's impossible to predict how well Sony's new "Fast Hybrid" AF system is going to perform. I definitely like the idea of on-sensor phase detect, though. Nikon made it work so hopefully Sony can, too.

Sony Alpha NEX-5R Camera Announcement >>

The NEX-5R also has built-in Wi-Fi and it's the first interchangeable camera to use apps. It's not an Android-based OS like the point-and-shoot Nikon recently announced (Nikon Coolpix S800c Intro). Sony will be producing and distributing all the apps. But to start, they have one that allows you to connect to your iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device; and there's also one that let's you upload directly to Facebook.

What do you think? How interested are you guys in the built-in Wi-Fi? For me, it's all about the auto focus. I think I'm gonna have to put some pressure on Sony to get me one of these ASAP!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sony NEX-5R With Built-In Phase Detect AF-nex-5r_2up.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Sony NEX-5R With Built-In Phase Detect AF

The hybrid AF certainly is the interesting part for me. Nikon did hybrid on the small sensor, Canon tried on the APS-C and we will see what Sony can do on the APS-C. A NEX-6 is supposed to be coming soon; also with hybrid AF.

I could care not care less about the phone connection, but the Wi-Fi is important in that Sony does not have a wired tether on any model since the A900 (no Live View body has tethering). Wi-Fi could offer an elegant tethering solution if it's fast enough.

Rumor says that the new FF DSLT to be announced next month will have both main sensor/hybrid PDAF and SLT PDAF.

I am watching the main sensor PDAF closely. To me, the complete removal of the mirror and then the electronic shutter will be the most important developments of this decade. Now, about that mechanical aperture...

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Now, about that mechanical aperture...
    What do you mean about the "mechanical aperture?" Is there any other kind? It pretty much has to be mechanical, doesn't it?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I think the uploading to social sites is going to be a big hit. Street photographers should love this feature I would think. Make your phone a mobile hot spot on your hip. Very cool.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    What do you mean about the "mechanical aperture?" Is there any other kind? It pretty much has to be mechanical, doesn't it?
    Of course not, but I don't see anything coming along in the near future. But then software may make it unnecessary before a hardware solution is found. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

besides AF improvements which are really needed, usability should be improved with the new control on top

I am going to have to stop reading press releases as it causes a severe case of GAS. Gear Acqusition Syndrome. Resistance is Futile.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

ELS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I am going to have to stop reading press releases as it causes a severe case of GAS. Gear Acqusition Syndrome. Resistance is Futile.
    + 1

I agree .... :thumbsup:

MiniClip Slideshow Maker For Android

Animal Face Changer is easy to use and most amazing app for face morphing and eyes morphing in Android market play google com/store/apps/details?id=com fotograph facechanger]Install Now Animal Face Changer MiniClip Slideshow Maker is easy-to-use movie maker and video editor app collects your photos and transforms them into stunning videos, complete with preloaded music for you to choose play google com/store/apps/details?id=com mevd slidemaker]Try MiniClip Slideshow Maker In Store Now Camera Super Effects are super cool and brings action movie graphics in your real life images This super hero photo booth allows you to bring some very cool and amazing super power effects in your photos play google com/store/apps/details?id=com fotograph cameraeffect]Camera Super Effects Is Free Now tumblr : gongappsandgames tumblr com/ instagram : instagram com/gongappsandgames/ Tags : #instagramdirect #instadirect #TagsForLikes #directmessage #direct #message #messageme #TagsForLikesApp #instadirectme #tumblr #tumblrlife #tumblrphoto #TagsForLikes #tumblrphotos #tumblrlove #tumblrpic #tumblrpics #tumblrposts #tumblrpost #perfect #tumblrpicture #tumblrpictures #tumblrthings #tumblrstuff #instatumblr #beautiful #love #TagsForLikes #tumblrgram #money #cash #green #TagsForLikes #dough #bills #crisp #benjamin #benjamins #franklin #franklins #bank #payday #hundreds #twentys #fives #ones #100s #20s #greens #photooftheday #instarich #instagood #capital #stacks #stack #bread #paid #android #androidonly #google #TagsForLikes #googleandroid #droid #instandroid #instaandroid #instadroid #instagood #ics #jellybean #samsung #samsunggalaxys2 #samsunggalaxy #phone #smartphone #mobile #androidography #androidographer #androidinstagram #androidnesia #androidcommunity #teamdroid #teamandroid

MiniClip Slideshow Maker For Android

Animal Face Changer is easy to use and most amazing app for face morphing and eyes morphing in Android market play google com/store/apps/details?id=com fotograph facechanger]Install Now Animal Face Changer MiniClip Slideshow Maker is easy-to-use movie maker and video editor app collects your photos and transforms them into stunning videos, complete with preloaded music for you to choose play google com/store/apps/details?id=com mevd slidemaker]Try MiniClip Slideshow Maker In Store Now Camera Super Effects are super cool and brings action movie graphics in your real life images This super hero photo booth allows you to bring some very cool and amazing super power effects in your photos play google com/store/apps/details?id=com fotograph cameraeffect]Camera Super Effects Is Free Now tumblr : gongappsandgames tumblr com/ instagram : instagram com/gongappsandgames/ Tags : #instagramdirect #instadirect #TagsForLikes #directmessage #direct #message #messageme #TagsForLikesApp #instadirectme #tumblr #tumblrlife #tumblrphoto #TagsForLikes #tumblrphotos #tumblrlove #tumblrpic #tumblrpics #tumblrposts #tumblrpost #perfect #tumblrpicture #tumblrpictures #tumblrthings #tumblrstuff #instatumblr #beautiful #love #TagsForLikes #tumblrgram #money #cash #green #TagsForLikes #dough #bills #crisp #benjamin #benjamins #franklin #franklins #bank #payday #hundreds #twentys #fives #ones #100s #20s #greens #photooftheday #instarich #instagood #capital #stacks #stack #bread #paid #android #androidonly #google #TagsForLikes #googleandroid #droid #instandroid #instaandroid #instadroid #instagood #ics #jellybean #samsung #samsunggalaxys2 #samsunggalaxy #phone #smartphone #mobile #androidography #androidographer #androidinstagram #androidnesia #androidcommunity #teamdroid #teamandroid

I don't think so that it is a Bad Idea.........

And I don't want to leave the other players out. Here are links to some Samsung and Sony EVIL camera action:

Thread Information