Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Nikon 1

Re: The Nikon 1

You may want to look at the E-PL3 instead, for its much faster AF than the E-PL2. Also, to be specific, you were looking at the MICRO four thirds, the four thirds is a DSLR system.

I don't think there are too many people here that remember that camera.
    You'd be surprised, many of the people on this forum are people who've been shooting for quite some time.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. Stick around, this place can be a valuable resource for information and learning.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thanks, yes I did know it was the micro. Liked the PL3 but I had a budget to deal with and the PL2 was on sale for 100.00 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    You may want to look at the E-PL3 instead, for its much faster AF than the E-PL2. Also, to be specific, you were looking at the MICRO four thirds, the four thirds is a DSLR system.

You'd be surprised, many of the people on this forum are people who've been shooting for quite some time.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. Stick around, this place can be a valuable resource for information and learning.

Got to play around with these 2 cameras today at pictureline in SLC. Very small. AF worked like the auto area mode on the dslrs. It quickly grabbed what looked important. It was low light inside. No hunting at all. Just snappy focus. The screen was so sharp that it looked weird. And the view finder looked just like the screen. Just in the view finder. A cool feature was the screen/ viewfinder switched automatically when you looked through the view finder.

Seems cool. I will need to see a the IQ before I can decide if I need one or not.

snappy quick focus isn't unique any more... Everybody has quick focus now.
    - Charlie

Not really, not inside at least. A lot of cameras will still hunt in those conditions. Not sure about the other EVIL cameras. I have almost no experience with them.

Except when it comes to continuous auto focus. That's what I'm hoping the new Nikon 1 system can deliver. If so, it will be a first for EVIL cameras.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Zero - Olympus' "FAST" AF system is, well, fast, and not prone to hunting, its fast anywhere. They are certainly faster than any DSLR with any variable aperture lens. The only DSLR lens' that compete are f/2.8 and faster, to the AF on the Olympus' kit lens.

John - true that. I didn't even think of that. I personally have very little use or need for tracking, not that its not useful, just that I don't do that type of photography that utilizes it (rarely, anyway). You're right, it probably will be better for that. The question though is, is that enough of an edge for nikon? Probably so, its not like Nikon needs an edge to make sales anyway, lol...
    - Charlie

Chasseurs d'Images says - it's on the sensor

Latest edition of French magazine Chasseurs d'Images at last gives us some reliable information:

- the phase detect focussing mechanism is on the sensor of the J1/V1. A large number of photosites are twinned to do the phase detect with individual readout of each photosite
    - the autofocus performance (shooting a car approaching at 50km/hr) is as good as an expert DSLR. It is much better than other compacts
    - the autofocus works just as well when shooting video
    - in terms of noise etc. the sensor is better than the miniscule one in the Pentax Q but not as good as the Olympus E-PL3 which is not as good as the Nex 5N. So no miracle here - the bigger the sensor the better the performance
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
    I'm new here, but the last two weeks I have been researching four thirds cameras and decided on the Oly Pen E-PL2. I looked at the Nikon J1 but I really couldn't justify the cost compared to the Oly. Oly is known for good glass and I just didn't see what Nikon had to offer to justify the higher cost. Didn't really care for the looks of it either. Since I'm an old 35mm film guy, digital cameras that look like the older film cameras attract me. Eons ago I started off photography with a Olympus RC35 rangefinder and loved it. I don't think there are too many people here that remember that camera.
    Being an old film guy you might look more at the EP-2 than the EPL-2. The EP-2 is a little easier to shoot in manual since it has a thumb wheel in the back. The EPL-2 has only a dial and it's a little harder to shoot.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: Chasseurs d'Images says - it's on the sensor

Thanks, Charles! This all sounds excellent - espeically about the AF performance.

You guys have to keep in mind what I do - I shoot outdoor action sports, often in difficult to reach places. Lighter and smaller are always important concerns for me. So if Nikon has made a camera that makes it easier for me to shoot continuous auto focus bursts in the backcountry, I am pysched. Also, I don't think the best image quality is ever the most important measure of a camera's value. There's always a balance between size, performance and image quality. What the balance is depends on the photographer and the job. And I am sure there are plenty of other photographers out there that have the same interests and demands that I do.

Plus, whatever new technology they've developed will end up in their other cameras. This could mean the next Nikon digital SLR will have useable continuous auto focus for video.

And here's a nice bit of news - Nikon sent me the paperwork for a J1 loaner a couple of days ago. I should be able to find out for myself in the very near future
    Photo-John

All good points John.

I only think they subject themselves to greater scrutiny and more critical outlook by the high starting price. When an E-PM1 or GF3 or an NEX-3 can be had for $500, or a GF2 or an E-PL2 can be had (all in stores now, I might add) for $400 what does Nikon put on top that adds $150-$250 of value? Its almost like Nikon (and Pentax for that matter) cant be bothered with being competitive in cost.
    - Charlie

Price

Good point about the high price. I hadn't thought much about that - yet. They could lower it, I suppose.

By the way, the J1 arrived today. I will be too busy to even open the box for a couple of days. But later this week I'll shoot a box-opening video and start seeing what it can do.
    Photo-John

Personally, I do not like the looks of the Nikon micro 4/3rds cameras. Too toy like looking let alone the higher price. I believe Olympus has the nicest looking M43 cameras, kind of nostalgic looking.

Quote Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
    Personally, I do not like the looks of the Nikon micro 4/3rds cameras. Too toy like looking let alone the higher price. I believe Olympus has the nicest looking M43 cameras, kind of nostalgic looking.
    Personally, the looks of a camera are far down the list when it comes to importance. Performance is what counts. I do think the Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras are the best looking, though.

Technical correction: Micro Four Thirds refers to Olympus and Panasonic cameras that use the Micro Four Thirds lens mount. The Nikon is a new, proprietary format with a small sensor than the Micro Four Thirds cameras use.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Personally, the looks of a camera are far down the list when it comes to importance. Performance is what counts. I do think the Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras are the best looking, though.

Technical correction: Micro Four Thirds refers to Olympus and Panasonic cameras that use the Micro Four Thirds lens mount. The Nikon is a new, proprietary format with a small sensor than the Micro Four Thirds cameras use.
    Didn't realize Nikon's sensors were smaller than the Oly and Panny. Geez, another good reason that would deter me from buying one. And, by what I read in your reply, you are pretty much dependent on buying Nikon's lenses for the V1 and J1 or will say an Oly or Panny lens fit on a J or V1 with an adaptor.

No, you are stuck to their 4 options

10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
    30-110mm f/4-5.6
    10mm f/2.8
    and 10-100 f/4.5-5.6

All lens are the typical slow, or slower than the typical slow. No fast primes, no high grade glass, all just ordinary extra slow cheap plastic zooms (plus one fixed pancake lens that is also offered in all competition at the same price with a larger image circle). If you want good glass, Fuji, Panasonic/Olympus, and Sony have a much greater variety than Nikon as well.

Attaching Nikkor AF-S lens is possible with the AF adapter, but with a 2.7x crop factor its sort of a waste of glass space. The adapter does not have screw driven motor, so non AF-S lens will not have autofocus.

Olympus and Panasonic lens are intercompatible with each other, all Panasonic and Olympus lens are on the same micro 4/3rd mount. They also work, with AF 4/3 adapter, with all 4/3rd AF lens. Because those are built specifically for the 4/3rd sensor, you use the entire lens image circle.

The Sony also offers an AF DSLR lens adapter, either hte LAEA1 or LAEA2. The 2 in particular offers an SLT mirror giving you bonafide DSLR performance in a CSC body, with attached Sony/Minolta A mount lens. The LA-EA2 also offers screw driven AF motor so it will work with AF on all lens.

Since Fuji and Canon announced their bid into the market with APS size sensors, amongst the host of other APS and M43 bodies available now, their is now less and less reason to bother looking at the Nikon 1. As of this moment they have the fastest continuous AF (not single-AF) for a mirrorless option, but I suspect that will likely change very soon.

Their is some confusion in the market as to the AF performance of mirrorless options. Many claiming superior speed and performance to modern SLR's. This is a partial truth, as it depends on very bright contrasty subjects. In low light and difficult contrast situations, SLR still spanks all mirrorless options back and forth.
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-14-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    - Charlie

[B]All lens are the typical slow, or slower than the typical slow. No fast primes, no high grade glass, all just ordinary extra slow cheap plastic zooms. If you want good glass, Fuji, Panasonic/Olympus, and Sony have a much greater variety than Nikon as well.[/B

This whole system of theirs is not very attractive for the cost. I do have the Oly E-PL2 and the lastest 14-42 II lens along with their 40-150mm Oly and I'm pretty impressed with the build quality as well as the optical and image quality, and at attractive pricing.]

lol I agree.

The 14-42 and 40-150 are excellent optics. A typical consumer range and speed, but great performance and size to boot. If you have any old good lens, you may want to look into adapting those lens to your e-pl2. Or, better yet check out the 45mm f/1.8... If short tele portraiture is your game.
    - Charlie

From what I been reading the Nikon 1 is a big seller and Nikon is having to keep up with demand. There must be more to this camera after all.
    I do have a co-worker who is a very serious biker. He tries to carry a small camera and really isn't concerned with super IQ. Size and fast focus is his only concern.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

From what I been reading the Nikon 1 is a big seller and Nikon is having to keep up with demand. There must be more to this camera after all.
    No, its got a Nikon label on it. There are more cronies in this world than there are thoughtful people. Producing sales is by no means a merit in this market of brandism.

Please believe me when I tell you that the PRIMARY driver of the Nikon 1 sales IS the brand name and the cronyism surrounding it.
    I do have a co-worker who is a very serious biker. He tries to carry a small camera and really isn't concerned with super IQ. Size and fast focus is his only concern.
    Then he's probably best off waiting for something else. lol.

You say fast focus but Nikons niche is with continuous, not single.

And still, better done on a DSLR/
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-15-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    - Charlie

Please believe me when I tell you that the PRIMARY driver of the Nikon 1 sales IS the brand name and the cronyism surrounding it.
    You have proof or you just want the world to take your words for it?

Then he's probably best off waiting for something else. lol.

You say fast focus but Nikons niche is with continuous, not single.

And still, better done on a DSLR/
    You've got issues man

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    He tries to carry a small camera and really isn't concerned with super IQ. Size and fast focus is his only concern.
    And some people seem to have a hard time with the fact that some people do choose cameras based on different criteria and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by AgingEyes View Post
    You have proof or you just want the world to take your words for it?
    Lets just say that it is part of my business to watch the consumer habits of people buying these cameras. I have a relationship with retailers within my region and I am familiar with the conversations and habits of consumers interaction with salespeople. I've seen plenty of Nikon 1's sold and I'm familiar with the personal conversations the buyers have had with their sales people. I don't care to offer you any more proof nor talk about my job to a whole lot of detail. I think that this is part of a market trend that goes on across the board and doesn't really need much proof for you to recognize that its true. People base purchase decisions on brand name popularity? Golly! Whod have thunk?!
    You've got issues man
    Thanks
    And some people seem to have a hard time with the fact that some people do choose cameras based on different criteria and needs.
    And some people have a hard time understanding that merit can be a cumulative quality, and not isolated to any singular gimmick, novelty, or one uniquely neat trick. That, and its only a few more weeks before newly released alternatives hit the market.
    - Charlie

And some people have a hard time understanding that merit can be a cumulative quality, and not isolated to any singular gimmick, novelty, or one uniquely neat trick.
    You're obsessed.

And thank you for enlightening us Nikon users.

I love how you quote me and use bold highlighting to select certain text, as if there is some sort of implication you are trying to make to me without actually being direct about it.

Or better yet, asking questions then ignoring my answer. I guess you were being rhetorical, I thought the query was sincere.
    - Charlie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information