New Camera - Panasonic Lumix GF2

Panasonic announced the GF2 today. I started to write a quickie announcement article and then spent all day on a GF2 manifesto. Whoops

Panasonic Lumix GF2 Announcement >>

Give my article a read and let me know what you think - about my opinions and the GF2.

I need to get my hands on a Sony NEX-5. I'm kinda tempted to just go buy one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: New Camera - Panasonic Lumix GF2

Across the board I think the NEX has it beat. I almost bought a NEX 3 a couple of weeks ago but after reading a ton of info and asking a million questions I changed my mind. Instead I settled for a Voigtlander 28mm, gonna learn to zone focus.
    In all of my reading on the NEX I found out it isn't an easy camera to use if you want to shoot in manual. It has lots of quirky navagation issues. If Sony fixes those issues I may change my mind.
    Just looking at your pre-review I think the Pany will be easier to use. We'll see.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Video resolution should read 1920x1080i 60fps.
    I don't know if this offers enough more over my GF1 for me to look at upgrading. I am with you though, if anyone is considering a high end compact camera should give these cameras a long look. My GF1 continues to impress me, I have to change my mentality. The little GF1 is probably 85-90% of what my full size DSLR bodies are, maybe more, maybe it can replace one of my full size bodies.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Video resolution should read 1920x1080i 60fps.
    My spec is right off the Panasonic press release. And I admit that video specs still confuse me. The "i" is for interlaced, correct? So couldn't you have 60i? Wouldn't that be 60 half frames or something like that?

Help - skyman!
    Photo-John

I know at some point I am going to get another EVIL camera. I gave my EP-1 to my step daughter. She takes a lot of candid type shots and needed a camera really bad.
    I have been thinking of a used G1. Not sure.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I know at some point I am going to get another EVIL camera. I gave my EP-1 to my step daughter. She takes a lot of candid type shots and needed a camera really bad.
    I have been thinking of a used G1. Not sure.
    I really like the E-PL1. Maybe the Panasonics have better image quality. But that doesn't really take away from the E-PL1. Plus, and I said this in the GF2 article, the Olympus cameras have built-in image stabilization. That means you can use your Leica, Voigtlander, Canon, etc. lenses and still keep it steady. That right there is image quality.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I really like the E-PL1. Maybe the Panasonics have better image quality. But that doesn't really take away from the E-PL1. Plus, and I said this in the GF2 article, the Olympus cameras have built-in image stabilization. That means you can use your Leica, Voigtlander, Canon, etc. lenses and still keep it steady. That right there is image quality.
    The reason I am looking at the G1 is that it has a EVF so using my Voigtlander lenses would be much easier. I tried them on the EP-1 and focusing with the LCD was a pain. Does the G1 have a swivel LCD? I haven't really read much about that and also really haven't seen any comparison photos to gage it's size. I would like to see a side by side shot with an EP-xx. A used G1 is fairly cheap right now.

Sony a99/a7R

Olympus has an accessory EVF for the E-PL1. I almost always use it. It's especially great for video. And yes, the G1 has a tilt-swivel LCD. I don't think I took any pictures of it with another camera, although I should have. I remember it being small - probably between a GF1 and the GH1. It's not tiny but it's easier to pack around than a DSLR.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    My spec is right off the Panasonic press release. And I admit that video specs still confuse me. The "i" is for interlaced, correct? So couldn't you have 60i? Wouldn't that be 60 half frames or something like that?

Help - skyman!
    I've read the press release now, I think it's wrong. I've never heard of it referred to as 60i or 60p, but I haven't heard everything. I've always heard of resolution scan as interlaced or progressive. 480p or 720i or 1080p, etc. the only things I've heard of with a number like 30 or 60 is frame rate or refresh rate. In the case of recording video, refresh rate isn't part of the equation. Anyhow, I'd wait for someone smarter than me to be the final word on this.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thread Information