Liz

E-P3 - Touch screen display

I am happy with my E-PL2..............having said that I am really interested in the touch screen display on the E-P3, not to mention the speed, especially using the touch screen.

I read the PR review, PJ's comments, posts and photos. I also did more research through google so I'm getting quite familiar with this camera. BTW, one of the major draws are the images that PJ has posted.

IQ is the most important feature for me - and the E-P3 IQ is comparable to the E-PL2 without the red dots. The red dot issue does bother me in the sense that I found myself doing a lot of scenes which include the sunsets/rises. Until now it hasn't been a deal breaker, but looking at the E-P3 I'm very tempted to seriously consider it.

Touch Screen question:

I just found one comment about the touch screen that I have a question about. I read where the touch screen can be turned off by using the "J" menu which I am not familiar with. Can anyone tell me if this is an easy "switch" or a longer process? Here is a copy/paste of the only reference I could find about turning off this feature.

You can also turn all touchscreen functions off completely, using the Custom J menu
    Any information or other thoughts? Thanks.

Liz

Re: E-P3 - Touch screen display

I don't know about the red dots or touch screen but read this
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/New...Quality-Review
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I don't know about the red dots or touch screen but read this
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/New...Quality-Review
    Thanks Greg

Actually I don't think the E-P3 has a red dot problem.

I mentioned the red dot problem because it is obvious when shooting with the E-PL2 in the "right" conditions - and would be one (big) reason for me to upgrade to the E-P3. The other reason is because I would really like a touch screen.

Thanks for the link. The DxO does not rate the camera very high, but the E-PL2 is rated about the same or lower and I'm happy with it except for the red dots.

I'm just wondering about how easy it is to turn off the touch screen - and turn it back on again. Is it quick - or a process.

Liz

Just remember that is IQ only. I think the E-P3 focuses much faster and probably out performs the others. I am beginning to think that maybe Olympus has squeezed as much IQ out of the 4/3rd sensor that can be had. I can tell you my Nex really has better IQ but suffers from little lens support. Olympus has a much better line up with lenses. Olympus has always fallen behind in DXO marks across the board. I think all cameras are about equal in DR and color depth but not with noise.
    PJ would be the one to ask about the red spot issue. Olympus is usually quick with fixes. I am sure the E-P3 will be better.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary View Post
    I can tell you my Nex really has better IQ but suffers from little lens support.
    You do know that, with the adapter, you can AF all the Sony and Minolta lenses with AF motors in the lens (SSM and SAM). Of course, you lose some of the small size and no IS. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thread Information