Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Should I purchase body-only or get a lens included w/ Digital Rebel?

I am considering upgrading to the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have several lenses from my old 35mm Rebel. Should I get the package with an included lens or save the $100 and just use my old lenses?

Thanks for any info/recommendations!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Should I purchase body-only or get a lens included w/ Digital Rebel?

Welcome to the Forum. I have read mixed reviews on the Canon "kit" lenses over the last couple of years. Some like them, others don't. It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. I find the kit lens to be a pretty good, basic lens on my DRebel. I chose to get the kit lens, because of the focal length it covers. I had a couple other lenses from my Canon film cameras, but none of them that covere the wide angle view that the kit lens did. If you have some decent lenses that cover the range of the kit lens (keep the 1.6x crop factor in mind), I would go with the body only. If you're looking to add and inexpensive wide angle lens your your bag, I think the kit lens is a pretty decent option. It's not going to be as sharp as the "L" series lenses, but I think it's a good starter lens.

All that being said, I have no idea what your level of shooting is, or what you intend to take photos of. Another option, depending on your needs and budget, would be to get the body only, and spend a little more money for a third party lens to cover the focal lenth that the kit lens would.

The more info you can give us about your needs and what lenses you already have would be helpfull.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Smile Re: Should I purchase body-only or get a lens included w/ Digital Rebel?

Quote Originally Posted by image-inary
    I am considering upgrading to the Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have several lenses from my old 35mm Rebel. Should I get the package with an included lens or save the $100 and just use my old lenses?

Thanks for any info/recommendations!
    Hi there.
    I purchased a Canon EOS 350D with a lens kit and found that the weakest link was the lenses.I think I would be inclined to purchase the camera body only and use the lenses that you have.The lenses that came with my camera are just collecting dust as I have since purchased some better ones.The big question of course is the cost involved.In my part of the world good lenses start at $1000.

Re: Should I purchase body-only or get a lens included w/ Digital Rebel?

The 17-55 'kit' lens is not all that bad and does cover a good range. IF you have other better quality lenses which cover this range you might consider buying just the body only. However IF you don't I would suggest buying the camera with the kit lens.

Wayne

Thread Information