Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Pls.give me help to buy a good canon to me

I will buy a new Canon this days so i dont know which is better to me
    Rebel XTI , 5D or 30D.
    coz. one week ago i used to purchase a new XTI then after i opend all this posts i became confused so i am in need to get a new camera and i am not tallking about the price , i am tallking about the fit to me ,,
    i am not a profesipnal photographer , but i love photos and cameras , and if u advice me to buy the most expensive one its ok,
    also pls. tell me the dfrnt. between this modles, and practecaly about to find lenses and accesories.
    thanx for help
    Michel

Re: Pls.give me help to buy a good canon to me

I moved this to the Canon forum where you might find more help. Being a non-Canon shooter I can't help much but we won't be able to help if we don't know what you want to do with the camera. All three are very capable cameras but one may be better than another based on your needs.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

You have 3 very solid cameras to choose from here. I haven't used any of them, but I may be able to give you some info based on what I have heard, and read. Hopefully others who own some of these models will post some thoughts too.

The XTi is a consumer level camera. It doesn't have the build quality that you will find in the higher end cameras. That being said, it is still a very solid body, and hold up to most situations. The XTi has a 10.1 mega pixel sensor. Higher resolution is nice, but not needed. I have made 24 inch prints from my 6mp Digital Rebel. The higher resolution gives you more cropping options tho.

The 30D is build a little more solid than the XTi, and has an 8.2mp sensor. Both the XTi and the 30D use and APS size sensor so you will have a 1.6x crop factor. This can be a big help if you do a lot of wildlife or sports photography and need the extra reach from your telephoto lenses. The 5D uses a full frame sensor so there is no crop factor.

Of the 3 you listed, the 30D has the fastest burst rate. The 30D will shoot 5 frames per second, while the XTi and the 5D will shoot 3 frames per second. The faster burst mode may be important to you if you like to shoot fast moving subjects.

The XTi weighs 18 oz, the 30D weighs 24.7 oz and the 5D weighs 28.6 oz.

These are just a few of the differences between these models. I can't give you a recomendation for one of them over the other because I have no idea what you plan on shooting. If casual family snapshots and vacation photos are your thing, I would lean towards the XTi. If fast action is your thing, the 30D would be my choice. If big prints are what you're after, I would go with the 5D. This is a very simplified summery and there are many other things to consider, but hopefully this will at least give you a place to start.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

One very important feature that I forgot to mention on the XTi is that it has a build in dust reduction system. None of the other Canon models have this feature, yet.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information