Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Which one to buy -Cannon PowerShot SX110 or Cannon PowerShot A2100IS

Hi,

I am planning to buy a digital camera in next few weeks and i have found two good options meeting my needs. First one is cannon powershot sx110 and second is powershot A2100.

However I would like to take suggestions from experts on this.

PowerShot SX110 has got 10x optical zoom and great looks but digic 3 processor and its only 9 megapixels.

PowerShot A2100IS is a newer camera with 12.1 megapixels and digic 4 processor but it has got only 6x optical zoom and it also does not look as good as SX110.

I want to understand on what front i should compromise, should i give importance to megapixels and new processor and choose A2100IS or i should give more importance to zoom and buy SX110.

Please do not suggest any camera of any company other than cannon.

Looking for some help.

Thanks in advance.

Aks.

Re: Which one to buy -Cannon PowerShot SX110 or Cannon PowerShot A2100IS

Most will argue that at about 8 megapixels digital resolution rivals that of film. I wouldn't worry too much about the megapixels. I have two SLR bodies and one is 8mp and the other is a full frame at 12.7. Both take fantastic photos that are easily enlarged quite large.

I would look for the features on either camera that are most important to you. Smaller size, more zoom, type of battery, etc etc. A camera with more pixels on a small sensor will tend to get noisy very quickly at higher ISOs. My G9 with 12 megapixels exhibits noise very quickly, even at ISO 100.

Personally between those two models, I would choose the SX110. If I were buying a superzoom compact right now(watch out I am going to suggest something other than a Canon)I would buy a Panasonic TZ5 or TZ7. If Canon were the only brand I would consider, I would be looking at the SX200 IS. I have found that I will carry the camera more if it's smaller, and both of those models are quite compact.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Thanks a lot for such detailed explanation and this is really very helpful.

The last point I have in my mind is that lets say I do not set any thing and simply click an image using Auto mode (do not consider zoom here). Which camera will produce better image in that case.

Because I know this is the way I will be using camera most of the time.

I think you will be best off if all you do is point and click with either the Panasonic TZ5 or TZ7(ZS3). I know you want a Canon, but the Panasonics are pretty much the best compact super zoom cameras out there. The movie mode on the Panasonics is superior to the Canons movie mode in that you can zoom while shooting a movie. For me that is a deal breaker for the Canons.

If your heart is set on a Canon then I would go after either the SX110 or the SX200. If you want to zoom whilst taking a movie then the larger SX10 or SX1. And there the best value is the SX10, the SX1 is incredibly expensive and while offering RAW capture and HD movies @ 1080 neither one is worth the over $200 increase in price over the SX10.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Yesterday I checked images taken from both of these cameras. Although everywhere I have got feedback that SX110 is better than A2100, surprisingly photos taken by A2100 are far better than photos taken by SX110.

Check it yourself -

SX110 sample pics -

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...sx110_is_3.php

A2100 sample pics -

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...sample_images/

Once you zoom images you will see that A2100 pics are a lot crisp and clear.
    Chromatic aberrations is also quite less in images taken from A2100.

Although I can not explain it, but it seems new technology is definitely making its impact.

Well it seems to me you've made up your mind then.

Not exactly. However now I know what SX110 and A2100 are missing . So, I have decided to wait for few months and try to get a good deal on SX200. Because as you have also mentioned, it has got best of both models (SX110 and A2100).

Therefore it will be good to have 12.1 mega pixels with digic 4 with all different manual controls..

Thanks a lot in helping me in understanding different pros and cons.

Thread Information