Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Old Canon Film SLR's

Hi, Im a photography student and right now im using the rebel xti. Loving the colors my xti is giving me but i want a feel of the older film cameras by canon, for instance the AE-1. A camera that i can carry around with a lens not too big. Any suggestions where i can find these "older film slr's"? Any stores around the Bay Area that carry these older styles? And what are the best online site to purchase one of these, who offer them in good condition?

PS: looking for the classic styles (with metal, etc)

Re: Old Canon Film SLR's

I've had two Canon A1s and think they're great cameras. Plus, the FD lenses are really nice and you can get great deals on them since hardly anyone is buying them anymore. In the Bay Area, try Keeble and Shucat in Palo Alto, or Adof Gassers in the City, if you want a camera store. You can also try the pawn shops in the Mission. Online, I like KEH.com for used cameras. I've bought a lot of used 35mm bodies from them and I've never been disappointed.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by aironmax_1
    Hi, Im a photography student and right now im using the rebel xti. Loving the colors my xti is giving me but i want a feel of the older film cameras by canon, for instance the AE-1. A camera that i can carry around with a lens not too big. Any suggestions where i can find these "older film slr's"? Any stores around the Bay Area that carry these older styles? And what are the best online site to purchase one of these, who offer them in good condition?

PS: looking for the classic styles (with metal, etc)
    Check out the exposure meter before buying. These cameras are more than 20 years old and they age. I had an AE1, AT1 and a T70 and two out of the three had problems at the end.

Charles

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Ebay is a good source for older 35mm gear too. Just do your research, ask lots of questions, and check out the sellers feedback before bidding. That's where I got all of my AE-1 gear a few years ago.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'm leaning towards either an AE1 or a 6000 series by Nikon, I can't really find the differences or anything comparable between the two. I might just stick with my k2 but lenses for modern slr's are pretty pricey.

Thread Information