Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos

I snagged the new EOS 70D the day it hit stores here in Salt Lake and I've been playing with it as much as possible since then. I am only now getting around to editing and sharing photos, though. If you want to know more about the new 70D, here's a hands-on video intro I made right after I brought it home:

Canon EOS 70D HD DSLR Hands-On Intro Video >>

I'm not expecting dramatic image quality improvement from the EOS 70D. This camera is mostly about improved video auto focus. I was at Canon HQ a couple of weeks ago and they straight up said not to expect much, if any, RAW quality improvements. Still, I'm hoping for a little. I haven't done any close analysis yet but I thought I'd start sharing some photos for those of you who might be interested. These first photos were shot last night in the mountains. The lighting is pretty dramatic so I'm not sure they're a great way to judge image quality. They certainly don't look bad, though

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0328_1200.jpg

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0366_1500.jpg

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0388_1500.jpg

I'll add some more in a bit. I know we need some more normal subjects to better judge the camera's image quality.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Canon EOS 70D - Utah State Capitol

The Capitol building, here in Salt lake City, is one of my regular camera testing stops. The indoor images were shot at ISO 1600 and you can definitely see noise. It's not bad. But it's not nearly as good as you'd get from a Sony, Pentax or Nikon APS-C sensor camera right now.

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0288_1500.jpg

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0270_1500.jpg

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0261_1500.jpg

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0276_2500.jpg
    Photo-John

Re: Canon EOS 70D - Utah State Capitol

I was out testing my 70D with a Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Autofocus Lens and a Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 DGX 2x AF Teleconverter, Boat was well over 100 yards away you could not see them with the naked eye. ISO was on auto.
    Last edited by billy320; 09-08-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Wow! Very cool! How did you get your hands on the 800mm? Have you used the 70D enough yet to feel comfortable writing a review? I added it to the user reviews yesterday and it would be great to get a user review posted ASAP. We can always update it later if you want. Here's a link to the user review page:

Canon EOS 70D User Reviews >>

Thanks for posting that photo, too. I wasn't expecting anyone to add anything - especially not a photo shot with a 1600mm lens
    Photo-John

Canon EOS 70D Photos - People Photos

Here are a couple of people photos taken with the Canon EOS 70D. I've also started uploading to the gallery. You can see all my Canon EOS 70D photos, here:

Canon EOS 70D Sample Photo Gallery >>

So far, so good. I'm not seeing any really noticeable image quality improvement compared to the EOS 7D, T4i, T5i, etc. But I didn't expect any, either. This camera is really about Canon's new Dual Pixel CMOS auto focus for movies and live view. Video auto focus testing is next on my 70D task list.

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0043_1500.jpg

My First Canon EOS 70D Photos-img_0089_1500.jpg

Let me know if you've got any questions about the camera or have anything specific you want me to make sure and test.
    Photo-John

I bought the 800mm, I used to help out an elderly neighbor when I lived in Brooklyn NY I went to the store for her and took her to her doctors appointments, shoveled snow etc. When she passed away last year I was in her will and she left me some money. I will be going to Grand Teton and Yellowstone again Sept 14 to 21 so the 70D will put to the test.

Re: My First Canon EOS 70D Photos

Nice Pic's Man

Thread Information