Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

DSLR newbie setup advise needed.

How does this setup sound for a newbie SLR person w/ ~$1k cap:

Rebel XTi (400D) body = $544.95
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II = $69.95
    Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS = $174.95
    Spare battery = $27.95
    Sandisk 4GB CF card = $74.95

Total: $892.75 - All prices from bhphotovideo.com

I want the 50mm f/1.8 b/c I really like shallow DOF photo's and am always impressed by the 50mm photo's I've seen on threads here on the message board. I've thinking of getting the IS version of the "kit" lens for ~$100 more by buying the body/lens separate compared to the stock non IS lens/body combo, thoughts on this? Should I consider a different zoom lens besides this as my normal lens?

Also what about lens filters? Do I need to worry about buying these now or only when/if I see a need later on? If I need now, what should I get?

As far as other items, I have a tripod and a monopod already, and a camera bag.

Can a local camera store compete with BHphotovideo's prices? Would it be considered rude to ask how good of a deal they could make me and show them what Iooking at spending via the list above? I wouldn't mind spending a little more to support a local shop, but not really $100's more.

Thanks for any info or thoughts, as mentioned about I'm a newbie and I'm sure I could be forgetting / missing lots.
    Phil

Re: DSLR newbie setup advise needed.

That looks like a fine set up to me. The 50 f/1.8 II is a good sharp lens that's pretty fast. The new 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS is a surprise, the initial tests on photozone show it to be very sharp and a marked improvement over the original kit lenses. Definitely step up to the IS version.
    The only thing I'd change is to get two 2gig cards instead of one 4 gig card. If one card corrupts for whatever reason you'll still have a back up card.

B&H is probably tops when it comes to etailers and are a sure bet when making camera purchases. If you go elsewhere bargain hunting, make sure you are buying from a reputable dealer, check out this site's dealer feedback forum and resellerratings.com for information on your chosen dealer.

I am a naked lens guy and only use filters if I need to. In the digital world filters have nearly become obsolete, most of the effects of filters can be reproduced in post processing. A polarizer is about the only effect that cannot be reproduced.

I think most camera stores are well aware of the internet and the pricing there. I too am willing to support local shops but not at a huge price increase.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

That set up sound like a great one. As far as filters go, if you want to do landscapes then a graduate filter is a must have along with a polarizer. I would strongly suggest a Cokin system and a medium and light ND graduate fitler. The benefits to a Cokin System is you can slide the filter up and down to fit the scene you are shooting and you can put it on different size lenses with only the price of an adaptor ring. You can spend as much as you want on a polarizer but the medium price range polarizers will do you a great job.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Liz

Great camera. Two fine lenses. The 50mm/f1.8 is an excellent lens - and the new 18-55IS also looks like a winner from what I've seen.

Congratulations! Well thought out - and I love the Rebel digital series. Excellent cameras.

Show us your pics - especially the ones with the new 18-55 IS lens.

Liz

Phil, what you are proposing looks like a great set of equipment to start out. The only suggestion I would add is to get an extra memory card. In the past year, while I have had no trouble, I have seen a lot of postings on this forum and others, where people have had their card die on them I have the 4 GB Sandisk, but also have a 2GB Sandisk that is for backup, or, perish the thought, I actually manage to fill the 4GB before I can download images. HTH

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Hi All,
    am new to posting and forums. I'm looking to buy my first Digital SLR. I'm also looking at the Canon XTi, and trying to decide how and what to buy.
    I plan on taking pictures of my 2 active boys - 4 & 7, and my dog. Yup, i'm a mom, but i love great pictures. The pause on our point and shoot digital is killing me.
    I like to get great face shots of the boys, and Bella is fast & hard to keep up with. Plus I know the boys will be playing sports as they get older.

Would this set up work for my needs as well? I'm in the same budget situation.
    Thanks for the advice - sorry to piggy back your question!

Insert something witty here.. yogestee's Avatar

Phil,,,add a battery grip to your 400D...You won't regret it..

Jurgen
    Laos
    Falang dung nyai

Please don't edit my images without my permission.

Thread Information