Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Lightbulb Canon EOS30D and Sunpak AF5000 a good mix?

HI all. I am new to photographyreview.com and was wondering if a Canon 30D and a Sunpak AF5000 will work together becuase a local photography shop owner told me otherwise. I am ranked below a beginner so all tips and advise is appreciated. Thanks have a nice day and I will be seeing you around the site... Nick

Re: Canon EOS30D and Sunpak AF5000 a good mix?

The problem is if you wish to have all the automatic flash functions the answer is no. You will need a current Canon Flash. If you wish to do all the flash exposure manually then yes.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NIck_satcom
    HI all. I am new to photographyreview.com and was wondering if a Canon 30D and a Sunpak AF5000 will work together becuase a local photography shop owner told me otherwise. I am ranked below a beginner so all tips and advise is appreciated. Thanks have a nice day and I will be seeing you around the site... Nick
    Be very careful. An idiot on another web site was blaming Canon and threating to sue because the flash he used burned out the main board in his 350D. There was a warning in the manual but he didn't think that was adequate: after all, the manual had lots of pages!

Go to the Sunpack web site (or whatever other flash brands you are looking at) and see what flash units the manufacturer recommends for 30D cameras. Not all flashes work with all cameras.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

IMHO, off brand flashes are useful with medium format cameras for which the manufacturer makes none. This is where the Metz and Sunpak flashes come into their own. As for digital SLRs (and 35mm of course), I think most would agree that you will get ideal performance with a flash made by the same company. In relation to the post below, I too have heard of circuitry being fried by off brand equipment. So in short, follow the manufacturers recommendations even though you'll find their flashes to be more expensive. It's not worth the risk. Off brand lenses, however, usually work just as well as their brand name counterparts.

Thread Information