Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Thread: 20D vs 30D

20D vs 30D

I'm new to this forum, so hi all.
    Have only recently (14 months ago) entered into digital photography.
    Based on a rec. I got the digital rebel, even though I have been a Nikon fan since the 70's.
    So like most, I can't get enough and am in the process of upgrading. I still shoot a decent amount of film but am going to jump to much more didgital.
    So...20D or 30D, that is the question.
    Recent reviews that I've read don't praise the 30D as that much of an advancement over the 20D. The general consensus seems to be that it is not worth the extra price as the 20D was when it was first released. Now in my case it's about a $300. difference. I shoot portrait, sports/action, candid photojournalism, aerial and product.
    In your opinion, is it worth or not worth the extra cash and why? I am very curious to hear what you have to say.

Thanks in advance for you opinion and input.

Re: 20D vs 30D

I was in the same situation with you. I started with the DRebel as well and found myself torn between the 20D and the 30D. This review gave me all I needed to know and more:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/

I got the 30D largely due to the spot meter which was also on my EOS A2 film camera.

Hope this helps.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Tough Call

Save some money or get a few more questionable features? I'm thinking about the same thing. I've got a 10D I want to replace. For me, the spot meter isn't really a big deal since digital SLRs offer much better exposure evaluation tools. I haven't used a spot meter since I had a histogram available. For me, the main things the 30D has over the 20D are the larger LCD and the improved shutter life. I have an EOS 1D that I've turned over the counter on twice. I take a lot of pictures. So a durable shutter is important. But I have to admit, every time I see the huge LCD on a 1D Mark IIN, the 30D, or a 5D, I want it. It's easier on the eyes and really does help you evaluate focus better. So I'm leaning toward the 30D. If I decide to save some money I'll probably look for a used 20D so I can save a few hundred more.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The way I would look at it, is that OLED viewfinders because of their brightness, speed and lower battery usage will replace LCD viewfinders within one to two years. I would therefore go for a used Canon 20D at this point, to tide me over to a time when I would want to replace it with an OLED viewfinder camera and more features. In that regard, there are all kinds of new approaches to noise reduction and EVF cameras are poised to offer some interesting competition to DSLRs, too. Cameras with double processors are also being experimented with as well, and they will change digital photography too.

Ronnoco

Just in case any of you are still around. I decided to get the 5D.

Quote Originally Posted by davello
    Just in case any of you are still around. I decided to get the 5D.
    Now that's plain rude!

That's jealousy talking.....:cryin: :cryin:

Now come back with some pictures!!

enjoy.:thumbsup:
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    The way I would look at it, is that OLED viewfinders because of their brightness, speed and lower battery usage will replace LCD viewfinders within one to two years. I would therefore go for a used Canon 20D at this point, to tide me over to a time when I would want to replace it with an OLED viewfinder camera and more features. In that regard, there are all kinds of new approaches to noise reduction and EVF cameras are poised to offer some interesting competition to DSLRs, too. Cameras with double processors are also being experimented with as well, and they will change digital photography too.

Ronnoco
    Why on earth would you rather look at an image of an image instead of the actual image through the lens? I hope the EVF stays a long way away from the SLR, I understand the reason for the EVF on a compact, but there is absolutely no reason to have one on an SLR. Hopefully OLED technology will help improve the compact super zoom's viewfinders which border on horrible.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    Now that's plain rude!

That's jealousy talking.....:cryin: :cryin:

Now come back with some pictures!!

enjoy.:thumbsup:
    I'm so new to the forum that I am not able to upload photos.

What about Image Quality? Is there any difference from the two.

I have a Rebel XT, is it worth upgrading from one of the two?

Yes. I'm not sure about the 20d or 30d, but it's an amazing jump in quality to the 5d.
    I think you'll notice a difference.

Wow, I am in the same predicament. I am leaning towards the 30D because of the better shutter life, bigger screen, and faster frames per second rate. B&H has a good price on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cr_mmurillo
    What about Image Quality? Is there any difference from the two.

I have a Rebel XT, is it worth upgrading from one of the two?
    I wouldn't move on the 30D from a Rebel XT unless you desperately need the faster fps.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Oled

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Why on earth would you rather look at an image of an image instead of the actual image through the lens? I hope the EVF stays a long way away from the SLR, I understand the reason for the EVF on a compact, but there is absolutely no reason to have one on an SLR. Hopefully OLED technology will help improve the compact super zoom's viewfinders which border on horrible.
    Not to drag this thread too far away from the original subject, but I've started thinking about OLED technology for computer monitors. I'm nursing along some old CRTs and starting to think I need new monitors. But I hate LCD monitors. I don't trust them one bit. I'm not sure how well OLEDs can be calibrated. But Canon is supposedly developing OLED-based television technology. Computer monitors are a logical application, too. I want!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

New to the forum(greetings) and noticed this thread.
    Had been mulling over a DSLR since my unhappy foray into D P&S (Fuji Fine Pix).
    Using a 35mm Canon EOS A2 I went and looked at used 20D.
    Camera dealer had one but when you figured the battery charger in and some cabling.....it didn't have them in the box, it would have cost around 1200.00cdn.
    Plus warranty period is 90 days so then an additional warranty plan...
    I can get a 30D for around $1600.00cdn new,with basic Canon warranty.
    So thats what I did.
    Canon 35mm lenses fit it and away we go.
    Can now go either way and do a lot of comparison stuff and have some fun.
    Camera is pretty amazing
    Reminds me what the old T series bodies and ergo setups started
    EOS 35mm to the digital series now..

Thread Information