Camera Test Lab Archive

This is an archive of previous digital camera pro reviews. New digital camera pro reviews are listed on the Digital Camera Pro Reviews page.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Pro Review

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Review

by Photo-John

One of four cameras in Casio's Exilim Zoom series, the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 is a pocket-sized, 7-megapixel compact digital camera with a 3x optical zoom lens, 2.5-inch LCD, a full range of exposure controls, and MPEG-4 movie capabilities.

Price: $400-450 US

Pros
    • Truly pocket-sized
    • Big LCD
    • Best Shot mode with illustrative images and descriptions
    • Fast start-up and quick shutter response
    • Accurate, saturated color
    • Awesome battery!
      Cons
    • Exposure control a bit awkward
    • LCD hard to see in bright sunlight
    • Awkward, two-button playback control
    • Somewhat harsh, contrasty image quality
    • No ISO info in EXIF data
    Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Studio Test Images
    Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Studio SamplesISO 50 Sample >>
    ISO 100 Sample >>
    ISO 200 Sample >>
    ISO 400 Sample >>

More Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Resources
    All Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Photos >>
    Owner-posted Casio Exilim EX-Z750 reviews >>
    Write a Review >>
    Casio Web site >>

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - front and back

IntroductionCasio Exilim EX-Z750 - truly pocket-sized
    Let me start out by saying that I loved using the EX-Z750. The small size, speed, and 7-megapixel CCD add up to a more than competent package. Casio was one of the first camera manufacturers to realize that they needed to improve camera responsiveness. They've built a niche for themselves with fast, compact cameras with great features. I'd been hearing great things about Casio digital cameras for a couple of years and I've been anxious to try one. The EX-Z750 was my first chance.

I used the Exilim EX-Z750 for about a month, in a variety of situations, including a mountain bike trip to the Austrian Alps. I took all kinds of pictures with it, from tourist snapshots and party pics, to mountain biking and product photos. Some of the photos I took in Austria with the EX-Z750 were even published in a magazine article about the mountain bike event I attended.

Key Features

• 7.2 megapixel CCD
    • Exilim Image Engine for fast image processing
    • 2.5-inch LCD
    • Best Shot Mode with 30 scene modes and scene mode descriptions

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Features
    Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - Best Shot ModeThe main components of the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 are the 2.5-inch LCD display, the fast processor, and the 7.2-megapixel sensor. The camera has lots of other useful and fun features but the sensor and speed were most important to me. The EX-Z750 has a very wide range of exposure controls including full manual and excellent, consumer-friendly exposure modes. The Best Shot mode includes 30 different "scene modes." These are preset programs for photo subjects like Portrait, Children, Pet, Scenery, Night Scene, and Fireworks. Each one has an illustrative image and description to give the photographer an idea of what it will do. The Casio Best Shot Mode offers photographers creative options for taking better pictures as well as helping them understand how the camera works. There's also a Best Shot mode for video recording.

The EX-Z750 lens is a standard 3x optical zoom with a variable aperture of f/2.8-5.1. There are three auto focus options. Spot AF uses one focus point in the center, Multi uses nine focus points to identify the subject and focus for you, and Free allows you to move one focus point to any part of the frame that you want. I had the camera set for "Quick Shutter" which allows the photographer to take a picture without achieving perfect focus. This allows you to shoot quickly, even if the camera hasn't been able to focus yet - another example of Casio's attention to camera speed. For low-light shooting the Auto focus Assist light helps ensure you get your subject in focus. In Manual or Snapshot mode, exposure variables are selected with the "Set" button and controlled with the zoom lever.

Normally I ignore gimmicky software features. But I really like the Exilim EX-Z750s neat calendar. In playback mode there's a button that allows you to browse your photos with a calendar. If you save a lot of images on one card, the calendar makes it really easy to find photos. I don't know how much I'd actually use it. But it's a creative idea and I enjoyed playing with it. It also demonstrates Casio's "think-outside-the-box" design approach.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - LCD Display
    Casio Exilim recording display, with live histogram on

Casio Exilim play display, with histogram and image info on
    Casio Exilim main menu

Casio Exilim EX menu

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Design
    All of the Casio Exilim cameras are truly compact. I love the fact that the EX-Z750 really is a "pocket-sized" camera. It never felt bulky or uncomfortable when I carried it in my front pants pocket. The EX-Z750 has a sturdy, aluminum case with a huge, 2.5-inch LCD display that takes up most of the back of the camera. The Casio design engineers compromised on the optical viewfinder in favor of the big LCD. Most casual digital photographers just use their camera's LCD and probably won't mind the tiny viewfinder. However, I like to use an optical viewfinder for panning, when I shoot action photos. I found the tiny optical viewfinder on the EX-Z750 to be pretty unusable.

The camera control layout is pretty good. Most of the time I didn't have to look at or think about the controls. The shutter-release and zoom lever are in the standard location, on the right side of the top of the camera. The mode dial is at the top right corner of the rear, within easy reach of the photographer's thumb or index finger. The EX button, which offers quick access to basic functions like ISO, white balance, and resolution, is on the left side of the camera body, as is the drive button. I found the EX button a little awkward to push. But it's faster than using the menu to change the same settings.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 - Controls
        Left: Casio Exilim EX-Z750 mode dial, menu button, display button, etc.
        Right: EX and Continuous shutter button

They've packed a lot into this little camera and overall I think the design is very nice. I had one problem with the camera construction. After my trip to Austria I discovered a dent in the front of the camera's aluminum body. I'm not sure if I did it or it came that way. It hasn't been a problem. But don't assume that a metal body means the camera is indestructible. Remember, plastic flexes and metal dents. Both materials have their pros and cons.

Camera Performance
    As I said in my introduction, I really liked shooting with the EX-Z750. The Exilim Image Engine ends up being the standout feature for me. I have no doubt that the fast processing helped me get mountain bike photos where other compact cameras would have failed. More than once I got a picture I didn't expect the camera to be quick enough to catch. Of course, good technique is still important. Don't expect the Exilim EX-Z750, or any other camera, to take the picture for you. But if you prefocus and plan your shots well, this camera will likely surprise you.

The EX-Z750 has more than enough exposure options for most people, including me. I tend to stick with manual exposure when I use SLRs, and aperture or shutter priority when I'm using compact cameras. In this case, I all three options were available, as well as Snapshot mode (full auto) with exposure compensation. Most of the time I used aperture priority, controlling exposure by changing the aperture and exposure compensation

Other than initial camera setup and formatting the memory card, I hardly ever had to use the menu. All of the controls I needed to shoot - exposure, white balance, flash, and exposure compensation - have controls on the camera. That means you don't have to waste time going through menus to change settings when you're trying to take a picture. This is another example of the good planning that went into the Exilim EX-Z750 camera design. It also helps you get more and better pictures because you can adjust most settings almost instantly.

One downside, for me, is the tiny optical viewfinder. I've found that optical viewfinders are really the only way to do good panning photos with compact digital cameras. Using the LCD almost always results in missed shots. But the EX-Z750's viewfinder was too small to really use. It's ok for still shots, but too hard to use for action, which is where I really need it. The big LCD was better than I'm used to. I was to pan with it, although not as well as if I could with a decent optical viewfinder. Also, in very bright sunlight I had a hard time seeing the LCD display.

Image Quality
    The Exilim EX-Z750's resolution is excellent. I believe the current crop of 7-megapixel compact cameras is the best yet. Seven megapixels is more than enough resolution for prints up to 11x14 inches and it's enough to make 8x10 prints with almost no interpolation. Handled correctly, a 7-megapixel file will easily make good enlargements of 16x20 inches and larger. However, there's a lot more to image quality than pixel-count. Image quality is a combination of white balance, optics, image processing, exposure, and resolution. For the casual photographer, the EX-Z750's image quality is probably very good. However, after careful and close evaluation, I found it a bit contrasty and oversaturated. The photos look great on the LCD display and right out of the camera. However, if you have an underexposed photo or any image that could use some selective adjustment, the contrast and saturation can be a problem. Generally, images that look good right out of the camera offer the least overall potential. While I liked the photos I took with this camera, they didn't allow me much room for adjustment or "optimization."

I also noticed a bit of haloing in between areas with lots of contrast - like the edge of a mountain with blue sky in the background. Take a look at the edges of objects in the studio samples to see what I mean. I can't remember exactly when, but at some point I changed the camera's sharpness setting to "-1". I found the default setting was making my images appear a bit harsh and "crunchy." I'd prefer to have them come out of the camera a little soft and then sharpen them to my own satisfaction with the Photoshop Unsharp Mask filter. For further evaluation, I printed a couple of unadjusted EX-Z750 files on our HP Photosmart 7960 printer. Color and contrast was pretty good right out of the camera. However, even with the sharpness set to "-1" I had a bit of haloing between mountains and blue sky.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 mountain bike action sampleCasio Exilim EX-Z750 - Austrian mountain villageCasio Exilim EX-Z750 flower closeup
    Click on thumbnails to view sample photos.

If I owned this camera I'd set the in-camera contrast, saturation, and sharpness to "-1". As I said earlier, the overall look of the photos was a bit overdone for me. On the other hand, most casual photographers, who don't want to make their own adjustments, will probably like the way the default settings look. It's nice to have options. In this case, they make a big difference.

As far as noise goes, this camera is in keeping with other 7-megapixel cameras we've tested. It delivers the best image quality at its lowest sensitivity setting. At ISO 50 my studio test was essentially noise-free. At ISO 100 some noise becomes apparent, although it even close to enough to disturb me. The noise really starts to appear at ISO 200, and at 400 it starts to get a bit nasty. Digital cameras have made us all a bit oversensitive about image quality, though. Even though there is visible noise at ISO 200 and 400, I wouldn't hesitate to use those settings if it helps me get the shot. Especially since the 7.2 megapixel sensor will effectively hide a lot of noise in the huge number of pixels. Still, you'll get the cleanest files from the EX-Z75 at its lowest ISO setting of 50.

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 party flash sampleCasio Exilim EX-Z750 bicycle trials photoCasio Exilim EX-Z750 mountain landscape
    Click on thumbnails to view sample photos.

Just to qualify my image quality evaluation, all photos were shot at the highest resolution and highest quality setting that the camera offered. Making any kind of resolution or quality change results in diminished image quality. I recommend always shooting at the maximum resolution and highest quality your camera offers. Why buy a 7-megapixel camera if you aren't going to take advantage of what it has to offer?

Conclusion
    As I said in my introduction, I really enjoyed using the Casio Exilim EX-Z750. I've even thought about buying one for myself. It has a great list of features, including a lot of manual controls as well as great point-and-shoot functionality. But what really sets this camera apart for me is the combination of speed and size. I love that I can drop it in my pocket and take it everywhere. And I am very, very impressed with the quick startup and minimal shutter-lag. Image quality may not be the best. But I'm willing to trade a little image quality for portability and functionality. In the end, it's a point-and-shoot that doesn't feel like an unreasonable compromise to this SLR user. If I make the decision to leave my digital SLR at home and take the Casio in my pocket, I don't worry that I've made a big mistake. Because I know the EX-Z750 delivers.

Who Should Buy The Casio Exilim EX-Z750
    I think I can safely say that anyone who wants a fast, pocket-sized, point-and-shoot digital will be happy with this camera. If you want the coolest, tiniest digital camera ever, the Exilim EX-Z750 may be too big - even though it fits in a pocket easily. If image quality is your top priority, you probably shouldn't be reading this review or considering compact digitals at all. I like it as a carry-everywhere compliment to my digital SLRs. Anyone who wants an actual pocket-sized compact with lots of features should be more than happy with the EZX-Z750.

-end-

Casio Exilim EX-Z750 box contents
      Contents of the Casio Exilim EX-Z750 box.

• Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Digital Camera
    • Rechargeable lithium ion battery
    • USB cradle
    • 2 CD ROMs
    • USB cable
    • AV cable
    • Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Basic Reference (manual)
    Note: SD memory card not included

Other Resources:
    Casio Exilim EX-Z750 User Reviews >>
    Write a Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Review >>
    Casio Exilim EX-Z750 Sample Gallery >>
    Casio Web site >>

Last edited by Photo-John; 08-18-2005 at 08:43 AM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information