Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Salt Lake Photographer Settles With City..

I thought I'd share an article I read in today's Salt Lake Trib about a photographer who sued the city who had wrongfully searched her and detained her.
    She was on a public sidewalk photographing and was approached by a uniformed police officer.
    From what it sounds like, the city isn't exactly admiting wrong doing, but isn't saying they they were right either.

Discuss...

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3282390

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Salt Lake Photographer Settles With City..

All I can say is yay fir her and that is really sad. Not sure if this is, but incidents similar to this are absolutely ridiculous and brought on by all the "new powers" handed down from Homeland Security policy. I realize she may have been scared into doing it, but I would never have surrendered the other info. They had no right for all that.

Re: Salt Lake Photographer Settles With City..

That's messed up. A lot of people wouldn't know exactly what their rights are in that kind of situation, and would have just given the information with out a fight. That's what makes this so bad. A police officer can get away with that kind of thing most of the time. Good for her, but I would like to have heard that the officer was reprimanded.

Paul

Send A Message

It sounds to me like she should have pursued this further. I think the ACLU would have been interested in this case. The more publicity this gets the better.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information