Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DX Lenses

Sebastian-
    Here's a photo of the DX fisheye, the 18-70mm DX lens, and the 12-14mm DX lens. I didn't see the 17-55mm. I'll check again tomorrow. For feedback, ask Kokopeli as he went to the Nikon booth with me this morning.

I tried the fisheye on the D2H and it was sweet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6661.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!! Nikon!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Sebastian-
    Here's a photo of the DX fisheye, the 18-70mm DX lens, and the 12-14mm DX lens. I didn't see the 17-55mm. I'll check again tomorrow. For feedback, ask Kokopeli as he went to the Nikon booth with me this morning.

I tried the fisheye on the D2H and it was sweet.
    NIKON!!
    Sweet!
    Loved that pic you posted of the D70 and D2 side by side..
    Make sure you get to the shoe convention too! PLEASE!!!
    Brian
    Nikon Rules!
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 02-13-2004 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Oh and...
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

It's not a shoe convention, it's a gun convention. Not kidding. There's a sport shooter convention in the same building. One side of the convention center is full of photo geeks, and the other is full of camo-wearing, ammo bag carrying survivalists. I'll have to take some pictures.
    Photo-John

Hey John, have you seen the camera that Epson is supposedly developing. It appears to be a digital rangefinder camera but I am wondering what the lever (like in film advance lever) is for. Any pics or is this just a joke I am hearing. I'm not joking by the way, have seen images of it on dpreview.com.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    The Fuji PMA booth has contortionist girls! I think they have some, uhh, cameras and stuff, too.

get her to clench her hands together and play "jumprope" no joke alot of the famous asian contortionists can dislocate their shoulders

DUDE YOUR EYES WILL POP OUTTA YOUR HEAD!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I haven't seen it but I'll see what I can learn today. I have an appointment with Epson.
    Photo-John

Fuji FinePix S20 Pro

Fuji's new FinePix S20 Pro, set up with a radio slave and tethered to a video monitor. The S20 Pro uses the 6.7 megapixel Fuji Super CCD SR which has two types of pixels ( S-pixels and R-pixels) for greater dynamic range. It can capture an image up to 2832 x 2128 pixels with much greater highlight and shadow detail than previous sensors.

The S20 Pro has 35-120 optical zoom lens, slots for xD -Picture Cards and CompactFlash, AV out for video display, flash hotshoe, and flash sync terminal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6638.jpg  
    Photo-John

New Nikon 4200 & 5200

Two new Nkon Coolpix cameras were announced on Thursday, the 4 megapixel Coolpix 4200 and the 5.1 megapixel Coolpix 5200. Both of the cameras feature Nikon-developed built-in redeye reduction. They also have all-metal bodies, 38-114mm ED lenses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6669.jpg  
    Photo-John

Leica Digilux 2

The new Leica Digilux 2 was the surprise winner in the DIMA digital camera shootout at this year's PMA. The DIMA shootout is a blind test that anyone at PMA is allowed to participate in. Cameras are categorized by price. The DIMA tests might be one of the best indicators of camera image quality since they're so controlled, so many people can participate, and they really are 100% unbiased. So Leica winning for best image quality is very significant and the people at Leica are very, very happy.

The new camera also has more of a Leica look and feel than its predecessor, the Digilux 1. The Digilux 2 uses a 5 megapixel CCD sensor, has a 7-22.5 f/2.0-2.4 aspherical Leica DC Vario-Summicron lens (35mm equiv. 28-90mm), full manual as well auto exposure controls, video recording mode, and it uses SD Memory and Multimedia Memory Cards. I think this camera means that Leica has absolutley arrived as a digital camera company.

And just to remind you that the new Leica camera is the result of a partnership between Leica and Panasonic, the rear view photo is of the new Panasonic Lumix counterpart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6539.jpg   PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6533.jpg  
    Photo-John

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

LOL! What a combo!?

It's not a shoe convention, it's a gun convention. Not kidding. There's a sport shooter convention in the same building. One side of the convention center is full of photo geeks, and the other is full of camo-wearing, ammo bag carrying survivalists. I'll have to take some pictures.
    Maybe the shoe convention is elsewhere or next week. I'd heard from a fairly reliable source that one was or will be down there.
    But YES take some pics of the "gun enthusiasts ", maybe you could get a pic of a PMA attendee and "gun enthusiast" together or something.
    Thanks for the great pics and info about the things to come!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Ghost
    I'm still hungry. Got more?

Konica Minolta Booth

They were giving away a Mini Cooper at the Konica Minolta booth. Somehow, those nice young ladies were helping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6718.jpg  
    Photo-John

Firearms and Neckcar

It's funny. We've got two shooting-related conventions in the same convention center. This photo is from the lobby of the other convention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6688.jpg  
    Photo-John

New Epson All-In-Ones

Epson has two new all-in-one printers, the RX500 and the RX600. Both printers are "designed to not only view, scan, copy and print photographs without a computer, but also restore old slides, negatives and traditional printed photographs. The end results are true photographic quality prints using Epson’s superior six-color photo inks at resolutions as high as 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6726.jpg  
    Photo-John

Epson Digital Rangefinder

This is weird. It was in the Epson booth, in a glass case. There was a sign on the case that said only, "Unique digital camera created and engineered by Epson and developed in partnership with Cosina Co., Ltd."

One of the cameras in the case has a Leica M lens on it and the other has a screw-mount lens on an adapter. I have no idea what the winder lever is for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6742.jpg  
    Photo-John

It is weird isn't John, that is why is specifically mentioned it. Anything else come out of your time with Epson, new printers, paper, inks etc, or better profiling for Photoshop maybe.

Don't know about new profiles, but Epson did have new printers and a new high-end flatbed scanner. Scroll down to the bottom of this discussion to see the new photographic all-in-one printers from Epson. I'll post more later. And I didn't actually notice that camera until after my appointment with Epson. I'll see if I can't corner someone tomorrow and ask them what's up with the funky camera.
    Photo-John

HP Photosmart 7960

HP recently announced that black and white prints made on selected HP printers, (when used with the HP 59 gray photo inkjet print cartridge and HP Premium Plus Photo paper) including this Photosmart 7960, have proved fade resistant for over 100 years. The independant tests, done by Wilhelm Imaging Research, found that, "these black and white prints resist fading for up to 115 years when tested under glass."

The HP 59 Gray Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, compatible with the Photosmart 7960, "adds vibrancy to color photos and produces stunning black-and-white photos." The Photosmart 7960 prints up to 8.5 x 14 inches and costs $299.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6850.jpg  
    Photo-John

DIMA Awards

This is a photo of the DIMA awards section at te PMA show. You can see the test prints that were judged by attendees. The DIMA awards are a true blind test and might be the very best indicator of real image quality for digital cameras, printers, and print media.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6841.jpg  
    Photo-John

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar

Any News on the Elan7NE?

Any News on the new Elan 7NE? I am thinking I should hock some of my possessions, and try to raise the money for it. Maybe trade my Rebel Ti in on it and get the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5.

Any News???

[QUOTE=Photo-John]
    PMA 2004 - LAS VEGAS

February 12-15
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

I think this posting is the camera you are looking for.

[QUOTE=h2oskierc]Any News on the new Elan 7NE? I am thinking I should hock some of my possessions, and try to raise the money for it. Maybe trade my Rebel Ti in on it and get the EF 28-105 3.5-4.5.

If you look at this posting I made you will see info regarding the Elan7NE/EOS30V camera I suspect that is the naming it would be around the rest of the world.

New EOS 30V Film Camera to be released

Elan 7NE Photos

h2oskierc-
    I apologize for the delayed answer. I was in LA for a couple of days after the show and had network problems. Here are a couple of photos of the new Canon film SLR. The most noticeable change is the texture. It's a new look for Canon EOS bodies. I'm not sure if it serves any functional purpose or not. It looks grippier.

AF speed and accuracy have been improved as has been the frame rate, which is now 4 fps. It also has the new E-TTL II flash metering. For more specsyou can take a look at the Elan 7N/7NE press release.

Incidentally, Konica Minolta also announced new film SLRs. I think Canon and Konica Minolta were the only major manufacturers to introduce new film SLRs, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6493.jpg   PMA 2004 - February 12-15-img_6494.jpg  
    Photo-John

Send $$$ For Film and Processing h2oskierc's Avatar
    h2oskierc-
    I apologize for the delayed answer. I was in LA for a couple of days after the show and had network problems. Here are a couple of photos of the new Canon film SLR. The most noticeable change is the texture. It's a new look for Canon EOS bodies. I'm not sure if it serves any functional purpose or not. It looks grippier.

AF speed and accuracy have been improved as has been the frame rate, which is now 4 fps. It also has the new E-TTL II flash metering. For more specsyou can take a look at the Elan 7N/7NE press release.

Incidentally, Konica Minolta also announced new film SLRs. I think Canon and Konica Minolta were the only major manufacturers to introduce new film SLRs, though.
    Thanks for posting those pics. It is always nice to see some pictures that are without the manufacturers propaganda...

I can't wait till April, Chris needs a new toy!
    Chris

When I grow up I want to be a Photographer.

No more money left for film
    Will work for Canon DSLR Body...

Cool

The Fuji PMA booth has contortionist girls! I think they have some, uhh, cameras and stuff, too.
    looking at that face it is hard to rememebr what a camera is.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ranter and raver.

Re: PMA 2004 - February 12-15

I know I'm late on the scene, but where's the love for the Pentax *ist DS? Any pictures laying around? Did you talk to the folks at Pentax about it?

There is just something absolutely seductive about a digital SLR that can share lenses with my K1000 and the LX I'm getting (I know, I know, limited functionality, blah blah blah).

It needs to be November 20th now. I can't believe that I am actually thinking of buying this camera sight unseen, but I live in the middle of nowhere and don't even know if the folks in Wash DC (relatively close and home of parents) would carry it. I could never find a dealer with an *istD.

And as for the "how do you pronounce it" question - I'm just going to call it "my pretty."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information