Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Nikon D200 first serious test

Chasseurs d'Images (CDI) just published the first full technical test of the Nikon D200 - prototype. It was marked "Do not test" but they did it anyway and the results were so good that they decided to publish. They even did a direct comparison with the D70S, Canon 350D and Canon 5D.

It's difficult to resume 22 pages of test in a few lines. Basically it's all excellent. The camera is fully usable up to 1600ISO and even at 3200ISO the noise is still fairly low but the image sharpness drops off. Default image sharpening is moderate but the images still look excellent.

The only point on which any of the other cameras beats the D200 is on image quality. The 5D has less noise at high ISO, slightly more dynamic range, softer burn-out in the highlights beyond values 245/250 and a prettier out-of-focus image. (All this comes from the larger sensor).

Charles
    Last edited by Franglais; 11-26-2005 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Forgot the 5D high ISO noise thing but that's obvious

Re: Nikon D200 first serious test

I am assuming, based on the source, that this is published in French and those of us with no language skills (aint even got good English) cannot get at it. Correct?
    Too many photo ops; too little time..

Only in paper format

Quote Originally Posted by carney2
    I am assuming, based on the source, that this is published in French and those of us with no language skills (aint even got good English) cannot get at it. Correct?
    Exactly. Chasseurs d'Images is written in French. Their technical tests are really serious and they get regular visits from manufacturers engineers who sometimes give them an idea of what they're working on - not all of which finds its way into production.

Whenever I find something of interest I repeat it here as accurately as I can. The D200 test is really reassuring. Even the prototype looks like a mature product that outclasses eveything in its category.

I'm now waiting to get my D200, with just one question - do I wait for the kit with the 18-200?

Charles

Re: Nikon D200 first serious test

What did it say as compared to the D70s overall worth the extra $$$. and few months of still just shooting regular film.

Another serious test says..

Quote Originally Posted by Majja
    What did it say as compared to the D70s overall worth the extra $$$. and few months of still just shooting regular film.
    Le Photographe (magazine for professionals) published a test on a production D200 yesterday. They do a comparison of resolution in terms of "24x36" equivalent:

Nikon D70 : 39 lines/mm
    Nikon D200 : 51 lines/mm
    Canon 5D : 54 lines/mm (previous test)
    Nikon D2X : 55 lines/mm
    Canon 1Ds Mk II : 62 lines/mm (previous test)

The improvement over the D70 is significant. There is also less coloured aliasing, probably because there is less sharpening by default.

Noise is much better than the D70. The D200 at 800 ISO has about the same noise as the 5D at 1600 ISO.

They say that prints from the D200 are much finer than those from 6x9 film, due to the absence of grain. (Wow)

If I were you I would save up for the D200. The only question is whether to get the 18-200 as well..

Charles

Thread Information