Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

New Epson Printer out

well here in Australia it is out and is new to us anyway.

It is called PictureMate.

EPSON makes creating photos from your digital camera simple, cost effective and convenient. With the EPSON PictureMate, creating lab-quality, highly durable, glossy photos has never been easier. And for less than 50 cents per photo, creating photos at home has never been more affordable!
    • Quality - Brilliant photos using the new EPSON UltraChrome ink system featuring Red and Blue inks for more vibrant colours
    • Convenient - One touch of the button for lab quality glossy photos
    • Cost effective - At home convenience - for less than 50 cents# per photo!
    • Durable - Create glossy photos that are resistant to damage from light, water and airborne contaminants
    • Versatile - The ideal companion for any digital camera, allowing you to create beautiful photos without the need for a computer
    The EPSON PictureMate will be available for shipment from the 15th of June.

Key Features

• Lab quality 100 x 150mm border free photos without the need for a computer
    • Support for most available digital camera memory cards (Compact Flash, Smart Media (max. 128MB), Memory Stick, Magic Gate Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo**, Microdrive, SD Memory Card, mini SD Card, MultiMedia Card**, xD Picture Card)
    • EPSON UltraChrome ink - featuring new red and blue ink for brighter photos
    • Print photos directly from your PictBridge compatible digital camera
    • Convenient, go-anywhere carry handle
    • Create frames and borders using EPSON Print Image Framer (including Disney PIF)
    • Print directly from Bluetooth compatible mobile camera phones with the optional Bluetooth adaptor
    • Create colour, black and white, and sepia photos
    • Over 80 years lightfastness*
    • Economical PictureMate print pack includes all you need to create 100 glossy PictureMate photos for less than 50 cents# each! (This is Aus 50 cents)
    • Operating System support; Windows 98/2000/Me/XP, Mac OS 9x, Mac OS X 10.2x
    • 1 year warranty (Here Optional 2yr extended warranty as well)
    RRP is $420Aus about $280US

I have asked Epson to send me some info and prints from it as I might just buy one of these on their Demo purchasing deal they have for Channel Partners. Will let you all know what I think after getting the info, hopefully next week.

I think this is in compertition with some of the instant print Canon Printers, as you can print directly from memory cards without a computer as well. Might be good for Event Photography maybe.

Not small enough to travel long distances I think

Here is a picture of it, there isn't much info here as yet, as I said, I am awaiting some product info from Epson that I asked for from the Cannel partners area of Epson (I sell Epson Products as a computer reseller). The other printer that looks interesting as well, is the new R800.

Most things are fine over here, although the back has been very sore.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Might fit in the suitcase....or large gadget bag.

Penny,

I saw the new Epson on their site as well, and found the following specs:

Dimensions and Weight (L x W x H)

Storage – 10.0" x 6.0" x 6.4"
    Printing – 10.0" x 12.0" x 6.4"
    Weight – 5.5 lb

About the size of small/medium camera bag it seems, and while I haven't actually seen one up close, the dimensions suggest it might fit in suitcase. As to whether it is sturdy enought to take the "ride" in a suitcase, maybe Peter can comment further.

Regards,
    Joe

Gee that is small, I haven't been able to see the specs of it thanks for posting that here. Weight is a little heafty.

I looked at the Canon small printers and asked one of the photography shop people what he thought. Said they were OK, but you can get better prints from other printers. I looked at the examples and thought they were quite good for 6" x 4" prints.

I'm interested to actually see photos produced from these new printers.

You can buy either the paper/ink packs or just the ink packs, but if they are balanced for the ink and paper in the packs that is probably the better way of going I am thinking. These days with all the technical stuff that the companies do, it makes sense to stick with certain branded products and not mix and match stuff.

I'd love to get a 2100/2200 Epson printer, can get one for about $1,000Aus, but that is a lot for a printer to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Gee that is small, I haven't been able to see the specs of it thanks for posting that here. Weight is a little heafty.

I'd love to get a 2100/2200 Epson printer, can get one for about $1,000Aus, but that is a lot for a printer to me anyway.
    Could you email me as to where you can get an Epson 2100 for about $1000 (hopefully in Sydney ;-)

Sorry BlackBart53 but I can't tell you that info as it's secret dealers business if you get my meaning. How's Mudgee these days, you had some rain out your way the last day or two. Hopefully it will pickup real soon for all of us, even us city folk.

If your interested in pricing, real pricing that is, let me know and I will see what I can get for you. I actually have a computer business (me) for the past 11 years now. Prices out your way must be high I would think.

Review Page Is Up

I saw the PictureMate at PMA in March and I added it to the reviews a few days ago. Here's a link to the new review page:

http://www.pcphotoreview.com/Persona...4_1688crx.aspx

And here's a photo I took at PMA. For size reference, the memory card you can see is an SD card. It also has a swiveling handle on it. I think it might be a bit large for traveling, Penny. If you want something packable the Sony and Canon dye subs might be better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Epson Printer out-picturemate.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information