Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Konica Minolta Leaves Photo Business - Press Release

Konica Minolta Announces Withdrawal Plan for Camera Business and Photo Business

Konica Minolta has long been a leading company in photo imaging business covering wide range of imaging from input to output. In addition, we have provided inspiring products and services by fusing our unique technologies.

In camera business, we have expanded picture-taking opportunities by developing innovative technologies such as the world’s first autofocus cameras. In 1962, our camera, well-accepted for its high reliability, boarded on the US’s first manned spaceship “Friendship 7.” Also, ever since introduction of the world’s first body-integral autofocus SLR camera, Maxxum/Dynax series, in 1985, SLR cameras have become more popular among picture-takers, and we have succeeded in selling 16 million units of interchangeable lenses since then.

However, in today’s era of digital cameras, where image sensor technologies such as CCD is indispensable, it became difficult to timely provide competitive products even with our top optical, mechanical and electronics technologies.

In photo business, represented by the silver-halide photography such as color film and color paper, we have produced Japan’s first photographic paper in 1903, and Japan’s first color film in 1940, thus pioneering joy of photography for more than a century. In 1984, we introduced the world’s first compact washless photofinishing system known as a minilab system. The minilabs contributed to the expansion of worldwide photographic market by making photos closer to consumers and amazingly shortening delivery time.

However, traditional silver-halide photographic market is shrinking astonishingly by the surge of the worldwide digitization. In such a changing world, profits for camera and photo businesses worsened in recent years, and it became necessary to drastically reform business structure for the further growth of Konica Minolta. Ever since we decided and announced restructuring guidelines of our businesses on November 4, 2005, we have been considering practical and detailed plan, and we would like to announce our decision made today as follows:

1) Camera Business
    In camera business, we have reached an agreement with Sony Corporation(Sony), having numerous image sensor technologies such as CCD and CMOS, to jointly develop digital SLR cameras in July 2005. In order to continue to have our customers use Maxxum/Dynax lenses, and to maximize possibilities of the optical, mechanical and electronics technologies accumulated through development of SLR cameras in the years to come, we came to the conclusion that it was best to transfer assets concerning camera business to Sony. Since then, we have been negotiating with Sony, and as a result, we have reached an agreement with Sony to transfer a portion of assets regarding digital SLR camera system to Sony*1. In this relation, we have decided to withdraw from camera business*2, such as film cameras and digital cameras, within Konica Minolta Group as of March 31, 2006.

Sony is planning to develop digital SLR cameras compatible with Maxxum/Dynax lens mount system, so that the current Maxxum/Dynax users will be able to continue to use them with Sony’s digital SLR cameras. In addition, we will consign camera service operations for Konica Minolta, Konica,Minolta brand cameras and related equipment to Sony.

*1 Please refer to the news release, “Partial Transfer of Assets Related to Digital SLR Cameras “, separately announced today.
    *2 Except for digital SLR cameras and interchangeable lenses produced for Sony.

2) Photo Business
    In today’s shrinking photographic market represented by color film and color paper, we have been considering to scale back and to continue photo business at an appropriate size; however, when we foresee the photographic market, it is quite difficult to maintain profitability in this field, and we have decided to withdraw from photo business. As schemed below, we will, as much as possible, avoid causing any inconvenience in providing products to our worldwide customers in the course of withdrawal.

For color film and color paper, while considering our customer needs, we will step-by-step reduce product lineup and cease our color film and color paper production by the end of fiscal year ending March 31, 2007.

For minilab business, we will cease production of the system by the end of fiscal year ending March 31, 2006; however we will have such company as Noritsu Koki Co., Ltd to provide maintenance and customer services so as not to cause any inconvenience to our customers.

*1 Please refer to the news release, “Consignment of Service and Maintenance Operations for Minilabs “, separately announced today.

In line with the above scheme, with consideration to our customers and regional situations, we will step-by-step reorganize our sales offices and withdraw from all of our photo sales activities by September 30, 2007.

3) Personnel Management
    As a part of Konica Minolta Group’s restructuring, we will proceed with withdrawal plan for camera and photo businesses and aggressively shifted their management resources to other Konica Minolta Group companies. While continuing this effort, in order to rationalize a number of employees, we have decided to reduce worldwide Konica Minolta Group employees by 3,700 from the current 33,000 including early retirement offering by September 30, 2007*.

* The early retirement offering is for Konica Minolta Group’s holding company, five business companies and two common function companies in Japan.

The expenses to be incurred with this restructuring are already included in the forecast for fiscal year ending March 31, 2006.

Konica Minolta Group will make our utmost efforts not to cause any inconvenience to our customer due to the decision we made this time. At the same time, camera and photo businesses are our traditional businesses ever since our founding, and we wish to express our heartfelt appreciation to the worldwide Konica Minolta fans for their patronage to our products for more than a century.

Konica Minolta Group is aiming to become more powerful corporate group by swiftly meeting market changes and pursuing “selection and concentration”. We will, from now on, be concentrating our business resources on non-consumer businesses, such as the core “business technologies” field, the strategic “optics and display devices” field, and the growth expected “medical imaging” and “sensing” fields, increase competitiveness, and endeavor to further expand corporate value.

Outline of camera business
    Main business:Manufacturing, sale, and related services of photographic equipment such as digital cameras, film cameras and lenses
    Fiscal year ended March 31, 2005:Net sales: 117,000 million yen (Forecast for fiscal year ending March 31, 2006 is 75,000 million yen)
    Operating Loss: 7,300 million yen

Outline of photo business
    Main business:Manufacturing, sale, and related services of consumer and commercial photographic materials, inkjet media, and related equipment
    Fiscal year ended March 31, 2005:Net sales: 151,500 million yen (Forecast for fiscal year ending March 31, 2006 is 110,000 million yen)
    Operating Loss: 1,400 million yen
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sony Acquires Konica Minolta Digital SLR Technology - Press Release

Partial Transfer of Certain Assets Related to Digital SLR cameras

Since July 2005, Sony Corporation (Sony) and Konica Minolta Photo Imaging, Inc. (Konica Minolta PI) have been working on the joint development of digital single lens reflex (SLR) cameras. Sony, Konica Minolta Holdings, Inc. and Konica Minolta PI are pleased to announce that they have decided to transfer a certain portion of Konica Minolta PI ’s assets related to digital SLR cameras to Sony, and at the same time, that Konica Minolta PI will consign its customer service operation for Konica Minolta cameras and related products* to Sony. Agreement to this effect was reached today.

Under this agreement, on March 31 2006, Sony will receive certain assets from Konica Minolta PI that are necessary for the development, design, production and so forth of digital SLR cameras compatible with Konica Minolta PI’s “Maxxum/Dynax lens mount system”.** Sony will accelerate development of new digital SLR cameras based on and compatible with the Maxxum/Dynax lens mount system with a view to marketing these models this summer.

On the basis of its ongoing “selection and concentration”, Konica Minolta Group will concentrate on its core “business technologies” field and its strategic “optics and display devices” field and withdraw from camera business*** as of March 31, 2006. At the same time, Konica Minolta PI will partially transfer certain assets related to digital SLR cameras to Sony.

From April 1 2006, Konica Minolta PI will consign the customer service operations for Konica Minolta cameras and related products* to Sony, and Sony will implement service operations from that date onward.

* Konica Minolta, Konica and Minolta brand film cameras, digital still cameras, lenses, accessories etc.
    ** An original lens mount system to connect camera body and lens adopted in Konica Minolta Maxxum/Dynax series SLR cameras
    *** Excludes production of digital SLR cameras and interchangeable lenses for Sony
    Photo-John

Noritsu Takes Over Konica Minolta Minilab Service - Press Release

Consignment of Service and Maintenance Operations for Minilabs

Noritsu Koki Co., Ltd. (Noritsu Koki) and Konica Minolta Photo Imaging Inc. (Konica Minolta PI) have reached an agreement to consign service and maintenance operations of Konica Minolta brand* minilabs and peripheral equipment to Noritsu Koki, and have signed a basic agreement today.

Minilabs are mainly installed in retail photo shops to develop color films and to print digital photo images, and are contributing to improving efficiency and convenience of photofinishing. Thanks to the convenience they provide, minilabs became indispensable for photo industry and the total number of minilabs installed worldwide is presumed to be 150,000 units.

Noritsu Koki, as a leading manufacturer of minilabs and peripheral equipment, has always made efforts in meeting the needs of customers and developed attractive products full of unique know-how and ideas. In addition, by establishing proprietary sales and service channels, Noritsu Koki’s products have been well-accepted in 180 countries and have been ensuring satisfaction to various customers worldwide. Furthermore, Noritsu Koki is always endeavoring to quickly perceive customer needs and reflect them directly in the development of products and services.

Konica Minolta Group, in order to concentrate in its core “business technologies” business and its strategic “optics and display devices” business on the basis of “selection and concentration”, has decided to withdraw from its photo business. In this relation, Konica Minolta PI will cease production of minilabs by the end of March 2006. Since Konica Minolta PI would like to ensure the continuous maintenance of existing minilabs it has sold to-date even after ceasing production, Konica Minolta PI decided to consign its headquarters’ service and maintenance operations for Konica Minolta brand* minilabs and peripheral equipment installed worldwide (excluding certain areas) to Noritsu Koki. As for the service and maintenance currently provided by Konica Minolta PI’s sales companies, they will be considered individually by regions later.

On the basis of the agreement reached today, Noritsu Koki will succeed service and maintenance operations of Konica Minolta brand* minilabs and peripheral equipment as of April 1, 2006 onward.

*Konica Minolta brand includes Konica brand as well.
    Photo-John

Re: Konica Minolta Leaves Photo Business - Press Release

So not only are they getting out of the film business, they are getting out of the photography business.

Guess the market is getting really competitive. I didn't expect to see this!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

A Surprise

It's a surprise to me, too. I have to say I'm disappointed. Even though the KM digital SLR hasn't been selling so great, I think it's an innovative and important camera. And the Dimage A200 I tested last spring is, hands down, the best high-end compact digital camera I've ever used. But business is business, right? I'm very interested to see what Sony uses and what they don't use. There are some interesting partnerships and consolidation happening in the camera business right now.

I think it's very telling that the KM announcement comes immediately after Samsung, a purely consumer company, announces that they're bringing a digital SLR to the market.
    Photo-John

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Too bad...

While I've never been much of a Konica fan, for a while there in the late 70's and early 80's (and maybe even later, I stopped paying attention), Minolta was right up there with Canon and Nikon with their top-o-the-line SLR system.

They really made some pretty (as well as pretty good) cameras...

This news, however, does not surprise me...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Too bad...

Suddenly my Topcon camera seems cool ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I just recently checked out my airmiles reward program for anything new regarding digital cameras. To my surprise, airmiles cut the reward miles on most of their Minolta cameras. I almost got carried away, but remembered the article about Minolta leaving Canada. Then just yesterday, I came across Photo John's article about Minolta. I guess it isn't worth buying a Minolta, especially when I won't have repair service here if I need it.
    Thanks for the update Photo-John.

[QUOTE=barb_48]I just recently checked out my airmiles reward program for anything new regarding digital cameras. To my surprise, airmiles cut the reward miles on most of their Minolta cameras. I almost got carried away, but remembered the article about Minolta leaving Canada. Then just yesterday, I came across Photo John's article about Minolta. I guess it isn't worth buying a Minolta, especially when I won't have repair service here if I need it.
    QUOTE]

Actually it probably is worth buying a Minolta, if there are bargains out there. As for repairs, I even got one repaired in Mexico in an hour. Design and ease of use are big pluses for their compact and DSLR lines and their pocket cameras have considerable features for their small size.

Ronnoco

Thread Information