Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

Canon's 21.1 megapixel EOS 1Ds Mark III

From Engadget.com

Not only did Amazon loose the goods on Canon's EOS 40D, they've also activated the page for Canon's 21.1 megapixel EOS 1Ds Mark III for the pros. That's an 11 megapixel jump from their EOS 1D Mark III (pictured) announced in February... Shazam! Canon's hope is to supplant the medium-format cameras dominating fashion and commercial photo studios with this relatively light-weight, full-frame DSLR. We're talking a 28 x 18.7-mm self-cleaning CMOS sensor; a pair of DIGIC III image processers operating in parallel; improved 45-point advanced autofocus; 5fps continuous shooting (for bursts of up to 45 Large/Fine JPEGs or 15 RAW images); sRAW image support; 3-inch Live View LCD with 5x or 10x magnification; and CF, SD/SDHC storage options. Of course, it won't come cheap when (and if) it ships on December 10th. In fact, you'll be looking at $8,000 for the body (only) according to Amazon's site. While it's not an official announcement, it's close. Besides, we've been waiting for this thing to get official since we first heard about it in February. So expect one of two things to happen next: either Canon will officially announce in the next few days or Amazon will pull their pages.

Re: Canon's 21.1 megapixel EOS 1Ds Mark III

I am confident that there will be a 40D announcement sometime soon. But the EOS-1Ds Mark III is doubtful. For one, that's a camera that would be a more likely announcement for the PMA or Photokina tradeshows. Traditionally, all camera announcements towards the end of the year are for consumer models. Plus, Canon is very tight with new camera information and almost every time there's been a rumour, it's been wrong.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Certainly wrong if engadget or amazon think 28 x 18.7 is full frame !
    With the 1DmkIII announced at PMA, Photokina September 2008 is possible.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    With the 1DmkIII announced at PMA, Photokina September 2008 is possible.
    That makes a lot more sense to me, Paul. And someone recently pointed out to me that Canon has competition for full frame cameras. So they're really under no pressure to rush out a new one.

I would not consider engadget a good source for information. It's all rumors. When there is an announcement, Canon will let me know and I'll post it. Until then, it's all speculation.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information