Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards

Winners of the 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards announced

The Commonwealth Press Union is delighted to announce the winners of the 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards. Anyone living as a resident in a Commonwealth country was invited to submit a photograph interpreting the theme 'Youth'.

The growing popularity of this competition meant that we received more entries in 2004 than in any previous year. They provided an eclectic mix, taking in nearly all of the 53 countries of the Commonwealth, from Kiribati to Kenya, Pitcairn Island to Pakistan, and from Trinidad to Tonga. We received hugely diverse images of young people from throughout these countries - at festivals in India, on the streets of Kenya, at a ritual in Papua New Guinea, at anti-war protests in Australia, and at the swimming pool in South Africa.

One overall winner was selected from six regional winners. Abigail Hadeed, a Trinidadian, has won first prize with her striking photograph of two young girls in Guyana.

In 2004, we also introduced two new prizes: the 'Young Snappers' Prize for 12 to 18 year olds; and the Dan Eldon Prize for 18 to 30 year olds who use their work for social or humanitarian purposes. These portrayed, as one of the judges commented, "just a slice of real life".
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

First Prize - Commonwealth Photographic Awards

Trinidadian wins top prize in Commonwealth Photographic Awards

Abigail Hadeed, a Trinidadian, has won first prize in the 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards, with her striking photograph of two young girls in Guyana. She said when acknowledging her prize: “It is very difficult in developing countries to find support for on going bodies of work and this award will no doubt help me in my continuing efforts to document the changing face of the Caribbean and Latin American region.

The theme of the 2004 Awards is ‘Youth’ and the photographs were judged on both interpretation of the theme and technical quality. Whilst Abigail Hadeed captured ‘youthful innocence’ that ‘blinds them to the prejudices of polarised societies’, the photograph taken by Johan Botha, Africa’s regional winner, portrays a youth from a rural district of South Africa devastated by the AIDS Virus and is subtitled ‘Hope still shines in the eyes of the youth’. Johan Botha said: “As a South African it makes me proud that we (as Africans) have a positive message of ‘hope’ to give the world”.

The Commonwealth Photographic Awards are an open competition for all Commonwealth residents, and include both colour and black and white photographs, from professionals and amateurs alike. They are organised by the Commonwealth Press Union (CPU) in collaboration with the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association (CBA).

The winning photographs were short-listed from over 1000 entries and judged in London by Eamonn McCabe, well known sports photographer and picture editor of The Guardian (London); Jonathan Eastland, veteran photographer; and Chris Ison, photographer with the Press Association (London).

Chris Ison said that he was looking for “artistic ability, principally – whether you could immediately tell the story without looking at the caption”. Jonathan Eastland said that he looked for “good pictures – animation, professional ability, story content, a combination of all these things”. However, he said that to win, the photographs must “stand the test of time and have integrity”.

Eamonn McCabe said of Abigail Hadeed’s winning photograph, “there’s something lovely about two cultures, two colours”. He added that the regional winners provided a very strong set of photographs, and said, “when you put them together… they don’t duplicate each other”.

The regional winners are: Africa - Johan Botha (South Africa); Australasia and the Pacific - Steve Ferrier (Australia); Europe - Hannah Mentz (UK); Canada and the Caribbean - Abigail Hadeed (Trinidad); South Asia - Ashima Narain (India); and South East Asia - Pang Piow Kan (Malaysia).

An exhibition of all the winners’ photographs will be taking place in London at The Commonwealth Club (18 Northumberland Avenue) from 1 to 23 September (visitors should check for opening times beforehand at 020 7930 6733). Other venues throughout the Commonwealth are being encouraged to host further exhibitions.

The Commonwealth Press Union (CPU) is an association whose membership includes over 1,500 newspapers and news agencies. The CPU aims to monitor and oppose any measures or proposals likely to affect the freedom of the press; they work to improve facilities for reporting and transmitting news; and to promote the training of all involved in the Commonwealth’s press.

The Commonwealth Broadcasting Association (CBA) works for quality broadcasting throughout the Commonwealth. It furthers management and broadcast skills; fosters freedom of expression and the right to communicate; and provides a point of contact and a forum for discussion.

The Awards are sponsored by The Commonwealth Foundation, The Royal Commonwealth Society, the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO) and the Globe & Mail (Toronto, Canada).
    Photo-John

Abigail Hadeed, Trinidad - Winning Photo

Canada & Caribbean - Abigail Hadeed, Trinidad
    Bashful Moment, South Rupununi, Guyana – I happened upon two friends after their swim in a creek in the Rupununi savannah. Until my presence they were oblivious to their nakedness. These are precious moments between childhood and maturity when girls are becoming aware of their bodies and sexuality. Youthful innocence blinds them to the prejudices of polarised societies. Their acceptance of difference reveals to us that integration is possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards-hadeed.jpg  
    Photo-John

African Regional Winner - Johan Botha

Johan Botha, South Africa
    AIDS orphan – Taken in a remote rural area in the South African Limpopo Province, the picture depicts the plea of so many children in an area devastated by the Aids Virus. Left alone and hungry, without the support and love of her parents and no access to primary healthcare. But “hope still shines in the eyes of the youth”.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards-botha.jpg  
    Photo-John

Europe & Atlantic Regional Winner - Hannah Mentz

Europe & Atlantic - Hannah Mentz, UK
    Upside Down Boy – This photograph was taken on Brighton Beach last summer. To me, this photograph represents the glorious, carefree spirit of being a child – he’s hanging upside down for the sake of it and because he’s enjoying performing for the camera. He has a sparkle in his eyes that only a child could have. The seagull flying past between the boy’s legs was a complete accident but I think this small spontaneous detail really makes the photograph – both the bird and the boy are flying in a different world.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards-mentz.jpg  
    Photo-John

Australasia & Pacific Regional Winner - Phil Reid

Australasia & Pacific - Phil Reid, New Zealand
    The photo shows pupils at school in a mission in the Soloman Islands. They have little or no resources due to years of corruption and civil war but they still enjoy singing, despite the conflict in their country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards-reid.jpg  
    Photo-John

Dan Eldon Prize - Richard Booth

This new prize is awarded to a young photographer aged 18 to 30, whose work is used for social or humanitarian purposes. It is sponsored by Creative Visions, which assists and encourages young photographers, artists and film makers to create work which will help to stimulate positive change in the world. Dan Eldon – a photojournalist – was born in London and raised in Kenya. He worked as a photographer for Reuters in Africa, but died aged 22 in Mogadishu.

The Dan Eldon Prize went to Richard Booth (UK), currently engaged in social documentary projects in Edinburgh for editorial and gallery use.

His photograph – ‘Wet summer Sunday’ – depicts bored youngsters in the fishing town of Fraserburgh in Northeast Scotland looking out to sea and an uncertain future. Eamonn McCabe said that he liked “the aggression in this, and the angle of it is strong”.

It formed part of a photo essay addressing chronic social ills in the town of Fraserburgh and was published in a Sunday newspaper in March 2003 when readers were invited to donate to Fraserburgh Futures, an organisation dedicated to improving the future for youths like these.
    Photo-John

Dan Eldon Prize Winner - Richard Booth

Prize Winner - Richard Booth, UK
    Wet summer Sunday – bored youngsters in the fishing town of Fraserburgh in Northeast Scotland look out to sea and an uncertain future. The nearest cinema is an hour’s bus ride away and there’s little else to do in town until the concrete on the new skate-park sets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2004 Commonwealth Photographic Awards-booth.jpg  
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Prize Winner - Richard Booth, UK
    Wet summer Sunday – bored youngsters in the fishing town of Fraserburgh in Northeast Scotland look out to sea and an uncertain future. The nearest cinema is an hour’s bus ride away and there’s little else to do in town until the concrete on the new skate-park sets.
    How did I miss these..thes erae fantastic...thanks for bringing such diversity to thes e boards...you really do a fantastic job! I appreciate it!
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    This is the link for the virtual gallery of winners.
    http://www.cpu.org.uk/photoawards/gallery.html
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information