Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Thread: ritz

ritz

Their store absolutely sucks. They don't stock any F2.8 lenses. I had to order them and I should have my Sigma 24-70 F2.8 in 3-5 business days.

It's also a big advertisement for quantaray which I think they make.

Re: ritz

The Ritz stores are totally focused on low-end consumer customers. They wouldn't sell many pro lenses or cameras. And you're right about Quantaray - it's their house brand. Their prices are also usually high. You should look for a pro camera dealer in your area or just start ordering online.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by specradio
    Their store absolutely sucks. They don't stock any F2.8 lenses. I had to order them and I should have my Sigma 24-70 F2.8 in 3-5 business days.

It's also a big advertisement for quantaray which I think they make.
    Ritz is not a bad store, but since most of them are in malls they can be way over priced. Quantaray is the ritz house brand, but it is produced by major bands: Like Silk, Sigma, Hoya..ect.

There are ritz super centers in larger cities and they tend to have a better slection. The one here carries tons of pro gear, namely Nikon and Canon. Last time I was there they had a nice slection of L series lenses and some pro Canon bodies.

I really don't think we should say that a store sucks just because it does not cater to our specific needs. Ritz has a nitch, and they fill it very well. If they don't have what you need then find a place that does.

If you ask me, online is the only way to shop anymore. It's the only way I buy major equipment.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

how much did you pay for your sigma?

I personally dislike ritz greatly, but not because they don't carry f/2.8 lenses, because they treat a 20 year old like me who wears normal clothes like a nobody because they don't think I can afford or know anything about photography.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    how much did you pay for your sigma?

I personally dislike ritz greatly, but not because they don't carry f/2.8 lenses, because they treat a 20 year old like me who wears normal clothes like a nobody because they don't think I can afford or know anything about photography.
    I paid $429 for it. I didn't know they didn't have it in store, otherwise I would've just gotten it on the bay for like $340. I just went with it since I was there.

I feel the same about the way they treat their customers. I went in looking for a filter that I knew was an exact price so I brought exact change and a few $$ extra incase of any weird charges. I go in, ask the guy for the filter, he brings out one and it's the right one...but the "better" version, he rings it up and i'm 5 cents short, I searched all around in my pockets and wallet for about a minute and the guy got all annoyed and pissy because of that. I told him I didn't have enough and wanted the other filter, he stomped on over all pissy and I eventually got the one I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by specradio
    I paid $429 for it. I didn't know they didn't have it in store, otherwise I would've just gotten it on the bay for like $340. I just went with it since I was there.

I feel the same about the way they treat their customers. I went in looking for a filter that I knew was an exact price so I brought exact change and a few $$ extra incase of any weird charges. I go in, ask the guy for the filter, he brings out one and it's the right one...but the "better" version, he rings it up and i'm 5 cents short, I searched all around in my pockets and wallet for about a minute and the guy got all annoyed and pissy because of that. I told him I didn't have enough and wanted the other filter, he stomped on over all pissy and I eventually got the one I wanted.

You can find jerks anywhere you go, to infer that it is just a problem with the people at ritz is an unfair characterization. The people at my local ritz and wolf camera stores are all very nice, and helpful for the most part.

Lets not bash an entire chain based on a few bad apples, huh.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    You can find jerks anywhere you go, to infer that it is just a problem with the people at ritz is an unfair characterization. The people at my local ritz and wolf camera stores are all very nice, and helpful for the most part.

Lets not bash an entire chain based on a few bad apples, huh.
    Well as you can see, it's not only me who has encountered this problem in their past visits. :thumbsup:

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

no offense almo, but I haven't been in a ritz yet that had salespeople who were both friendly and knowledgable. Either they know what they're talking about and they're absolutes a-holes about it, or they are very nice and they don't have any idea about what they're selling. I'd prefer the latter, because normally I just go in to try out stuff and have a good idea of the products anyways, but most of the time I get the former. And I have been to all 3 ritzes around my area, plus the one near my college. I guess the real "people-person" photographers are the ones out there actually photographing with people and the stand-ins are working behind a counter somewhere. Oops, I worked at best buy as a salesperson. But it doesn't count because we don't have counters.

Still havn't gotten any details about the lens coming in. They're extremley slow.

Quality of service/knowledge/etc., as with any company, is totally dependent on training, support, managers, and other factors. I have seen stores go from fantastic to crap and back again, sometimes within a year.

There are stores in my district that we laugh at.

There are entire districts that frighten us.

I, personally, do not push products that I do not believe in (I still work for them part time, so I'll leave it up to you to decide which products those might be - yes, the managers read these forums)

Lenses that we stock are dictated by what the company wants us to have. I could sell prime lenses all week long - they just don't believe us (and probably didn't get as good a profit margin).

We do our best to cover the knowledge that our customers expect. Each of us has our areas of expertise, and we each have our brands that we concentrate on - but no, I'm sorry, I don't have the memory to remember which of the 12 DSLRs we carry has 100% viewfinder coverage and which don't off the top of my head. I'll look it up for you, but I resent the implication that now knowing all minutiae of each camera instantly is a sign of us not knowing the product. Sighing loudly doesn't help.

I was once asked what kind of glass the mirror in an SLR was made out of, how thick it was, and the reflectivity rating. OK, buddy, you got me - I'm a complete moron because I don't know this off the top of my head.

Damage plans? Rewards cards? Extras? Some are worth it, some... Yes, there is Strong Influence from above to sell them. But ultimately, it's your decision.

Frankly, yes, I know - there are horrific stores in this chain, and all chains. A customer told me just this weekend about a poor experience where they were pressured and bullied, and I have notified that store's district manager.

As to the lens that took a long time? No reason for this. Call them daily. I know, that shouldn't be your responsibility, but something is messed up here that they need to address.

The other thread about ritzcamera.com? Yes, two different companies. No, we can't take a return from them in the stores. Yes, it is totally outrageous. Yes, the online print service is much the same way - if our lab goes down and they don't take it off the site in time, we are not allowed to give a refund when the customer shows up and the work is not done.

Good, bad - same as any company. But I agree with an above post - trashing the entire company based on your experience is why things like "User Ratings" exist. If I look at a product with 10 good reviews and one scathing, expletive filled review...

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    ...I guess the real "people-person" photographers are the ones out there actually photographing with people and the stand-ins are working behind a counter somewhere...
    Some of us do our best to make ends meet and work part time (in addition to a full-time job) in a store like Ritz while 1) paying off our tuition 2) polishing our portfolios 3) trying to reach a point where our photography can pay the bills in a market that aspires to more than just firing a shutter at something approximating the right time in the right place.

Making a blanket statement about the kind of person that would work in a camera store is a crappy way to behave, and I would encourage anyone who is treated poorly to feel free to mention it: "Why are you being so high-minded about a simple question?"

Trust me, it works.

Why do I work there? I enjoy talking about photography. I like the equipment, and have built a customer base that comes back because I help them. I have had customers come in from referrals, and have had people tell me all the tales of woe that you read in these forums and finish with "But I'm glad I stopped in here."

All this and some extra money to pay for my imaging - quite possibly the biggest money-suck behind owning a boat?

Fine.

As with all large companies with a .com affiliate... ritz and ritzcamera.com are only 'technichally' two different companies. Tax laws say that, as a .com Co. you have to pay sales/state taxes in those states where you have an actual store (which for ritz is just about every one). They save money that way and pass the savings onto the consumer by not having to charge you sales tax.

I am also a Ritz/Wolf employee. And, at my store we will exchange merchandise purchased on ritzcamera.com; but nom we typically will not return it unless there is an obvious defect.

I know some stores have bad customer service but you get that with any chain store. Some Great, some good and some not so good.
    I have been to the local Ritz store and one sales person wasn't the most knowledgeable but the manger was and even though I was just looking, they answered all the guestions I had.
    Went to another local store, highly rated as a great store. Wanted to buy flash, just happened the store was out of the model, I wanted. The salesman said he could have it by wednesday. I told the clerk, fine, I didn't need the flash until the following Sunday. and they I would probably not pick it up until the friday after it was due in. Just happened, I called the store on Wednesday and a clerk checked and told me it wasn't it but would be in by Friday. Told her, OK I don't need it till Sunday would be, by on Friday to pick it up. Come Friday. Called Friday, no flash!!! Am I disappointed yes, for I felt the salesman was trying to the best of his ability and was as truthful as they could have been. Would I go back again, probably. But another local store got the sale.
    If you think, this store is bad, then go to one of those bait & switch stores in New York.

Newbie here
    rovowen

There are a few good ritz stores out there...but they are expensive as hell! Shop around online (never buy from a store located on Broadway street!!) and you'll usually get much better deals.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

I recently bought a Canon A710 IS digital camera from Broadway Photo. Their website advertised it as a brand-new camera. More than a month later, a problem cropped up, and I had to call Canon Technical Support for advices. Only then, I discovered that the camera was a refurbished item. Never buy anything from Broadway Photo again.

There are other good stores.. why are you arguing especially about this one? Try to bring some nice places where we can find something to buy and talk about them!
    All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed. - Sean O'Casey arizona employee handbook

Thread Information