Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

An important security reminder. PLEASE READ!

So I was going to list an item on Ebay and had it scheduled to start this evening. I log into my email and there is a question about my item. I click reply and log in. That's when I look up and notice that the address is NOT Ebay :mad2: Now I have always laughed at these stupid emails and forwarded them to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com . I also always go to Ebay through my browser to answer questions instead of clicking email links. Of course, the one time I don't, BAM, I get hit. Normally spoof emails are blatently obvious but, this one was very legit looking (not that it is any excuse). I immediately realized what I did and quickly closed the window and cleared internet history and cookies. I then logged into the real Ebay and changed my username and password right away. I went onto Ebay's live chat and put my account on notice. They checked my account, nothing had happened in the brief time in between. I also went and changed all my Paypal security info. I only ever entered my Ebay username and password in the phishing link but, figured I would hit Paypal too as an extra precaution. I decided not to list my item just as temporary measure, let the dust settle for a couple weeks.

I feel like an idiot and of course am rather embarrassed by this whole thing as I am normally the first to warn and help safeguard others :blush2: I thought I would share this though as a reminder for everyone, it only takes one brief lapse in judgment. Be safe everyone.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: An important security reminder. PLEASE READ!

Thanks for the warning, Aaron!

To avoid that kind of thing I have an ebay/paypal email that is only used for those two things and have never got a phishing or scam letter in it.
    I've received plenty in my other email account telling me there's a problem with my paypal or payment for an ebay item or somethign.
    I too report them all even though its a bit of a hassle, I'll do anything I can to make trouble for these scumbags.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks Frog. I'm so pissed at myself over this :mad2: Odds aren't exactly in our favor and I guess is was bound to happen at some point though I like the idea about a second email. I'll have to try that out.

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Alright, second email address created and changed over with Ebay and Paypal
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr

Thread Information