Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

I think the moral of the story is...

that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I used to spend hours looking around for the best deals I can find on camera equipment (website, webstores, ebay, etc) and I came to this final conclusion. When it comes to buy camera equipment, go the the tried and true (Amazon, B&H, JR, etc, etc). Sure the prices may be a BIT higher but the service, reliability, and PEACE OF MIND is priceless. I wouldn't spend time looking at all these sketchy stores to try to save a buck. You, in the end, don't actually save really any money, go through a lot of hassle, and rarely get what you hoped for. If the price for the equipment you want is a bit high, just be patient and save your money for a few more weeks/months. It'll be worth it. Take care guys.

Re: I think the moral of the story is...

Quote Originally Posted by jincha79
    that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
    You know what? I might just put that at the top of this forum. I think it would be appropriate. And then we wouldn't have to repeat ourselves all the time to all the unlucky bargain hunters
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by jincha79
    that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I used to spend hours looking around for the best deals I can find on camera equipment (website, webstores, ebay, etc) and I came to this final conclusion. When it comes to buy camera equipment, go the the tried and true (Amazon, B&H, JR, etc, etc). Sure the prices may be a BIT higher but the service, reliability, and PEACE OF MIND is priceless. I wouldn't spend time looking at all these sketchy stores to try to save a buck. You, in the end, don't actually save really any money, go through a lot of hassle, and rarely get what you hoped for. If the price for the equipment you want is a bit high, just be patient and save your money for a few more weeks/months. It'll be worth it. Take care guys.
    Ah!...I imagine that you have read a response of mine about a camera dealer from Brooklyn, NY. I completely agree with you in that it's best to buy from "the tried and true" camera dealers. I almost took the bait from one of those "great deals" last week, but I spit the hook just on time. Then I came up to this forum and read about the Internet scams relating to cameras, and decided to buy a Rebel XT from B&H instead.

I ordered the camera online on November 17th., and a few minutes later received an e-mail of my transaction. All the data and prices were correct, and best of all, the "call to verify your order" notice was absent from the e-mail (not so from those other dealers). The e-mail also indicated that the package was to be shipped in the morning.

I had paid B&H to have the package delivered by USPS Priority, so it should have taken from 7 to 10 days for it to arrive at my home in Alaska. The package was delivered to my door yesterday, five days after I placed the order.

The best news is that by buying from B&H instead of the unrepeatable dealer I almost bought the camera from, I saved almost $400.00!

Kudos to B&H.

Irony

The irony of shopping buy price for cameras is that you will often end up paying more. Buying from the trusted dealers that have fair prices will save you money. If not the first time, then in the long run. And it will definitely save you peace of mind.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with B&H.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Last year I purchased my Nikon D70s from Broadway Photo in New York. I found them on-line after making phone calls to a number of the "lowest price" dealers. I paid $729.00, body only, for the camera. This Nikon was on sale and I had already gone through the funhouse of these other clowns, aforementioned here. I was wary of these guys, after the sluggos I had already tried to deal with, but found Bway to be straight forward. If you are shuffled off to more than one person or dept. hang up. Bway photo forwarded me to one person and he was very business like and straight forward. I asked him if this was a Nikon USA warranty or "gray market" and without hesitation he said it was gray. I told him I wanted only NIkon USA and then he said it wouldn't be the advertised price but it would be $40.00 more which equalled the $729.00 I paid.

Anyway, I asked questions, did my homework and did a lot of hanging up on Bozos. After I was sure I had the deal and camera I wanted I went to eBay and studied the ED G nikon lenses and then studied the feedback of those sellers offering these lenses. I ended up with two wonderful lenses that are as new. And I spent, for the camera and two lenses, $1050.00 plus a few pennies. These were ED lenses, not the cheaper Nikon lenses.

What I am saying is that you can find much better prices than the "Bozo" photo shops if you are willing to be patient and use your smarts. I have purchased cameras, lenses and enlargers on eBay and never had a problem with the merchandise. What I do immediately is check the profiles of the sellers. Also, I won't buy an item if it has a flaw, say a lens with a spec of dust inside. Inevitably the seller says that this spec of dust will not affect the photos. HUH? Says who? How'd that spec get inside the lens in the first place. Mayhaps a leak in the barrel of the lens caused by improper handling somewhere along the way? Was it dropped? Left out for months, sitting on a coffee table. I won't touch it. I also check ALL the photos and if there are no photos I figure there might be a reason. The photos will tell you, at a glance, if there are any signs of abuse evident on the exterior.

I have had my Nikkor lense for 35 years and they have been around the world with me. I could sell them at a grade of 8-10. None of my camera gear spends any time being jostled or left out to gather dust. All I am saying is that you can find new and used equipment at fantastic prices if you just take care and do your homework. Know what you are going to buy and be patient for the right item at the right price. Study!
    I Still Like Film Better

Thread Information