Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Gateway and Consumer Rights?

I recently ordered a digital camera from Gateway. It was not until the order was taken that I was told that there might be a delay. Waited for over a week and was told a new shipment was coming but could cancel if wanted to. I did Not and said would wait. A day later my order was cancelled without my consent.

Have never had this happen before and am wondering what my rights are? I am in New York and do know this varies with location but would be Very Interested in hearing what others have done in similar circumstances.

Thanks

Gene OHara

I would be inclined to think someone has read how you answered not to cancel and put it in as a cancellation. I would, if you still wanted the camera from Gateway, contact their sales manager and voice your annoyance with this and ask that it be rectified and your status on the wait list either be reinstated or upgraded to a better position.

This has been a common occurance with Gateway and Dell, have seen this sort of thing repeatedly on photography website forums.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by genosmm
    I recently ordered a digital camera from Gateway. It was not until the order was taken that I was told that there might be a delay. Waited for over a week and was told a new shipment was coming but could cancel if wanted to. I did Not and said would wait. A day later my order was cancelled without my consent.

Have never had this happen before and am wondering what my rights are? I am in New York and do know this varies with location but would be Very Interested in hearing what others have done in similar circumstances.
    They do not need consent to cancel an order. Their only obligation is to give you a chance to cancel the order yourself if the item becomes backordered. As long as they didn't cheat you out of the money, there is no legal issue here.

Both Dell and Gateway have a habit of doing this. Both work on thin margins and can not always get the supply to meet the demand at the price they want. On the other hand, Dell once cancelled an order of mine - two days after I received it! When you choose the cheap prices, you have to be willing to put up with this sort of thing.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information