Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

First Post/Japan Express in Manhattan

Hello everybody, name's Doug, and as you can all see, this is my first post here. Long story short, I've only dabbled with photography as an extreme amateur for probably about 10 years, using mostly PnS stuff. I AM a tech head though, so I've always gotten PnS's which have had some form of manual control.

Unfortunately, I busted my Kodak (dx7440) last week while on vacation in Vieques Puerto Rico, as it fell into a bay (Mosquito Bay) in which the salt content is said to be of 50% more concentrated than the ocean ! Yes, I could have just given it an alcohol bath etc, but the camera was on while it fell in, and I did take it apart just to try, but as it was apart, something else happened which made it dead permanently ! :blush2:

And now to the point: In my search for the Canon A710 IS, which seems to be out of stock everywhere, I came across a place called Japan Express which is located on 14th Street between 5th and 6th ave. I do seem to recall this shop being in that spot for what seems like forever, but have never (well maybe, in my youth) gone in with a real interest to purchase something.

The guy inside (Rafael) told me that it's been the same owner (not sure if it's him) and they've been in that spot for 19 years. That's a pretty long time for what is an incredibly small shop. It's tiny really. But the guy has a catalogue full of stuff which is either at their warehouse, or can be shipped etc..

My question for fellow NY'rs is obviously whether or not this place is on the up and up. I would never shop in one of those 'mom and pop' electronic boutiques which are scattered about the city, as they mostly deal with black/gray market wares, and are incredibly dishonorable when it comes to returns or repairs etc..

This place was also out of the A710, but offered to sell me the A630 for $179, which is a very fair price. Now however, I'm leaning more towards the Powershot S3IS after having held and messed with it. B&H, Adorama and J&R all have it for a very respectable price, B&H being the cheapest @ $291, but intend on calling Rafael from Japan Express should his store turn out to be reputable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks !

Doug

Re: First Post/Japan Express in Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by dougrb
    Hello everybody, name's Doug, and as you can all see, this is my first post here. Long story short, I've only dabbled with photography as an extreme amateur for probably about 10 years, using mostly PnS stuff. I AM a tech head though, so I've always gotten PnS's which have had some form of manual control.

Unfortunately, I busted my Kodak (dx7440) last week while on vacation in Vieques Puerto Rico, as it fell into a bay (Mosquito Bay) in which the salt content is said to be of 50% more concentrated than the ocean ! Yes, I could have just given it an alcohol bath etc, but the camera was on while it fell in, and I did take it apart just to try, but as it was apart, something else happened which made it dead permanently ! :blush2:

And now to the point: In my search for the Canon A710 IS, which seems to be out of stock everywhere, I came across a place called Japan Express which is located on 14th Street between 5th and 6th ave. I do seem to recall this shop being in that spot for what seems like forever, but have never (well maybe, in my youth) gone in with a real interest to purchase something.

The guy inside (Rafael) told me that it's been the same owner (not sure if it's him) and they've been in that spot for 19 years. That's a pretty long time for what is an incredibly small shop. It's tiny really. But the guy has a catalogue full of stuff which is either at their warehouse, or can be shipped etc..

My question for fellow NY'rs is obviously whether or not this place is on the up and up. I would never shop in one of those 'mom and pop' electronic boutiques which are scattered about the city, as they mostly deal with black/gray market wares, and are incredibly dishonorable when it comes to returns or repairs etc..

This place was also out of the A710, but offered to sell me the A630 for $179, which is a very fair price. Now however, I'm leaning more towards the Powershot S3IS after having held and messed with it. B&H, Adorama and J&R all have it for a very respectable price, B&H being the cheapest @ $291, but intend on calling Rafael from Japan Express should his store turn out to be reputable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks !

Doug
    B & H or Adorama should be the first choice. I'd check www.resellerratings.com to see if this Japan Express is on the up & up before buying from them. JMHO.
    John

Thread Information