Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Question canon dont offer ext warranty on digi cameras

Guys,
    In my earlier post, I got good inputs about protection plans. One of the suggestions inspired me to search for the manufacturer's extended warrany for canon rebel xti. Reputed stores like B&H, Amazon etc are selling these 'official'(?) canon extended warranties by Canon.
    A simple call to Canon office/call center revealed something rather surprising to me; CANON DOESNT OFFER ANY EXTENDED WARRANTIES TO ANY OF THEIR DIGITAL CAMERAS forget rebel xti(apart from the one year warranty that we all know of).

This brings me back to square one again.
    Any thoughts on these warranties, protection plans etc?

Re: canon dont offer ext warranty on digi cameras

Check the price on the service plan, as well as if it covers accidental damage. Also be sure that whoever you buy it from is not representing it as a extended manufacturer warranty. If it covers accidental damage, and seems reasonable, then it's worth it. Also ask yourself how hard you will be on your equipment. I can be pretty rough on mine. On digital point and shoots at our location, for example, repairs start at about $150 dollars without the service plan, with the plan, which would cost 34 dollars on some models, the repair would be free.

Reputed stores like B&H, Amazon etc are selling these 'official'(?) canon extended warranties by Canon.

Before we get carried away I think it's worth noting that our web page description for each warranty we carry specifies which products the warranty covers. We offer a Canon extended warranty for the 35mm Elan 7NE camera because Canon USA has one. For Canon digital SLRs, we only offer Mack Camera warranties because Canon USA doesn't offer any extended warranties for their digital SLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by amolkhedgikar
    Guys,
    In my earlier post, I got good inputs about protection plans. One of the suggestions inspired me to search for the manufacturer's extended warrany for canon rebel xti. Reputed stores like B&H, Amazon etc are selling these 'official'(?) canon extended warranties by Canon.
    A simple call to Canon office/call center revealed something rather surprising to me; CANON DOESNT OFFER ANY EXTENDED WARRANTIES TO ANY OF THEIR DIGITAL CAMERAS forget rebel xti(apart from the one year warranty that we all know of).

This brings me back to square one again.
    Any thoughts on these warranties, protection plans etc?
    Hi! My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera. Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions that you may have regarding Mack Camera extended warranties. You can also view our website, www.mackcam.com at your convenience. I can be reached via email at helpdesk@mackcam.
    Thank you,
    Desiree

Thread Information