Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Angry Broadway Photo Scam

I am new to digital photography and was trying to find the best price for a Nikon D40. I placed an order for $407 after two phone calls to Broadway Photo. The first time I was told I need to buy a charger. The second time I was told the camera comes with accessories. After placing the order I was emailed to call to expedite the overnight delivery otherwise it could take 72 hrs to process the order, I am told the usual battery story of the camera comes with 30 min. battery, I foolishly agrea to second battery. After calling Nikon I call back Broadway and I am told why are you calling Nikon USA. Another call to Nikon and a web search and I figure out the camera is an import. I now call back Broadway and read them the riot act. Now they will sell me a USA model for circuit city price. I say no and they drop the price to $499 and include overnight delivery. So at this point I say ok. After this I find out their reputation and call to cancel. I am told it is too late my order is in the warehouse. So I call my credit card Company to refuse the charge. I am told it is just comming thru and it can be rejected.I was charged $539 on my card. I notify UPS to refuse shipment and breath a sigh of relief. Two calls to my card Company confirm the charge was rejected. Two days later I find out the charge is on my credit card and I have to go thru a written process to get the charge off. I find out by the tracking No. that Broadway recieved back the camera and signed for it. Every time I email Broadway I am told the package was shipped. I have filed a complaint with the New York BBB. On Monday I will be calling Broadway again. Any suggestions will be apprciated. I don't have alot of money. Why is this comapny allowed to stay in business???
    Last edited by kyla sandberg; 08-04-2007 at 02:12 PM.

Re: Broadway Photo Scam

Where are they located? Contact info just so we can be aware.
    DISPOSABLE WEDDING CAMERAS to fit any party or wedding theme.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yet another story of how it helps to read up BEFORE you purchase.

and once again, if it sounds too good to be true, then it usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla sandberg
    I am new to digital photography and was trying to find the best price for a Nikon D40. I placed an order for $407 after two phone calls to Broadway Photo. The first time I was told I need to buy a charger. The second time I was told the camera comes with accessories. After placing the order I was emailed to call to expedite the overnight delivery otherwise it could take 72 hrs to process the order, I am told the usual battery story of the camera comes with 30 min. battery, I foolishly agrea to second battery. After calling Nikon I call back Broadway and I am told why are you calling Nikon USA. Another call to Nikon and a web search and I figure out the camera is an import. I now call back Broadway and read them the riot act. Now they will sell me a USA model for circuit city price. I say no and they drop the price to $499 and include overnight delivery. So at this point I say ok. After this I find out their reputation and call to cancel. I am told it is too late my order is in the warehouse. So I call my credit card Company to refuse the charge. I am told it is just comming thru and it can be rejected.I was charged $539 on my card. I notify UPS to refuse shipment and breath a sigh of relief. Two calls to my card Company confirm the charge was rejected. Two days later I find out the charge is on my credit card and I have to go thru a written process to get the charge off. I find out by the tracking No. that Broadway recieved back the camera and signed for it. Every time I email Broadway I am told the package was shipped. I have filed a complaint with the New York BBB. On Monday I will be calling Broadway again. Any suggestions will be apprciated. I don't have alot of money. Why is this comapny allowed to stay in business???
    Kyla, first, write a letter and send it registered mail receipt requested to Broadway and fill in the whole story as you told it here. Tell them you want your money back and to cancel the order. Be very emphatic about cancelling and refunded. Keep a copy for yourself. Give it 10 days for Broadway to respond, if they haven't responded, call and file a complaint with the NY State Attorney General or whatever the title is there. They helped my wife when a store was harassing her about money she didn't owe. If everyone would do that instead of just writing stuff off, companies like that would be eliminated.

Michael

Do n't bother with BBB it has no authority. If you dispute charges with the credit card write on the affidavit :"Item not as ordered" They would NEVER EVER challange your dispute. They would not kill the feeding hand exposing themself to Federal charges of mail fraud and credit card fraud. I did it with few different merchants like this one. Believe me, if they get away with 2 out of 10 sales like yours, they are making tons of money. Not many people would bother to fight them back. If you are trying to return the item you did not order or sent to you by error, your only resposibilityis to notify the merchant in good faith . If the merchant refuse to cooperate, the item is yours to keep for free.

P.S. They of course claim that have a record of a phone conversation with you. Ha-Ha I am just waiting to see a judge's face when he hears that crap

I can not believe what this company has just done to me, so I truly have empathy for what you have been through with them. I do not, for the life of me, understand how they can possibly be in business.

I am in the process of trying to get my money back and am working with my credit card company. Like you, I do not have a lot of money, but soemthing this horrific goes beyond the money.

These people are outright evil. It must be stopped. Please keep us posted as to how you make out--I will do the same.

NY State Attorney General Consumer Hotline

1-800-771-7755

I hope this brings helps for all of us suffering through this one. At the Attorney General's site, there is also a number called a "Brooklyn Regional Office #" (718) 722-3949

Quote Originally Posted by seagatebrooklyn
    Do n't bother with BBB it has no authority. If you dispute charges with the credit card write on the affidavit :"Item not as ordered" They would NEVER EVER challange your dispute. They would not kill the feeding hand exposing themself to Federal charges of mail fraud and credit card fraud. I did it with few different merchants like this one. Believe me, if they get away with 2 out of 10 sales like yours, they are making tons of money. Not many people would bother to fight them back. If you are trying to return the item you did not order or sent to you by error, your only resposibilityis to notify the merchant in good faith . If the merchant refuse to cooperate, the item is yours to keep for free.

P.S. They of course claim that have a record of a phone conversation with you. Ha-Ha I am just waiting to see a judge's face when he hears that crap
    Actually a tape of your phone conversation is illegal unless they told you they were recording it and that shows on the tape and they have to get your permission for it. I really don't think they want to go to court with that.

Michael

For the future. Never buy from a camera dealer on Broadway street. It is a long known thing with us photographers that they scam EVERYONE.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Wedding Cameras

thy are in brooklyn

I have some of the same experiences, my first deal with them went well, when I tried to order my Nikon D300 from them, I got this line about the battery and how I needed to up grade to their better one, told them, just send the camera, I don't need there batteries memory cards or any thing else. That's when the sales man got real snotty with me, so you know all about what you need? Yeah I said. B&H Photo and hung up on them and will never take that kind of crap from someone I'm trying to give my money to.

Thread Information