Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Broadway Photo Horror

This is my first post ever to a photography forum. I hope this is the right place for it, if not, I apologize--I just today started to explore this site. What brought me here was a link I got in Google explaining several different scams posters experienced with Broadway Photo.

I just had the worst shopping experience of my life with Broadway Photo--I am 45. Not only was I cheated and lied to, but when I sought help they were, amazingly, abusive. Buying a digital camera from them is supposed to give me 7 days to get my money back and I will fight with all I have to do that.

I just want to alert everone here, hoping word will get out. I have never made a post for this reason before on any product. I am amazed a company like this can be in business.

I put tremendous work into researching the camera, but next to none into researching the seller. I hope this post saves somebody out there.

Unhappy Re: Broadway Photo Horror

Thanks for the heads up on Broadway Camera... I too wish I found this site BEFORE I went & boughtmy NIKON from Fotoconnection.com ((See forumreviews) Well I did recieve my D80 with the 2 lenses & junk I agreed to......only after being told the "Packages Listed"on there site only had manuel lenses they wanted to get rid of. Of course I was green & wanted the auto's and was sold more expensive package ( which seem to be the Nikon kit lenses anyway). Rude, impatient sales person, no email confimations,grab my Credit card fast to get me off phone... Brooklyn attitude. I should have hung up & ran.
    Love the camera & love this site. Good luck

Re: Broadway Photo Horror

If you dig a little deeper you'll find that these places in NY are notoriously common. I don't know about other specific corners of the retail market, but with photography you have to be extremely careful where you shop. Generally, if the price is too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

If you shop anywhere except the big guys (i.e. Adorama, Ritz, BH Photo, Bel-Air, Samy's), you should do your research to make sure they're on the up-and-up.

Sorry you had to find out about this the hard way. And I'm glad you posted so that others will know.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

Shame on Me!! Being ignorant of all the confusing specifics on lenses makes us bait for those sales predators...merciless bast@*ds they are.
    Advice, do as much research on the company as we do on the cameras, lenses & accessories prices. Like you said if it sounds to low to be true, probably is. . Sometimes it might be well worth shopping a a local (If available) Camera store so questions can be answered, few dollars more but when you have a problem they are there.
    Do your homework"Before" you give your credit card Number..

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I wish I would have known about this site a month ago.

I ordered a Canon S3IS about 3 weeks ago from BroadwayPhoto and I called them after they emailed me. They tried to sell me accessories, which I denied, and finally the guy told me that the camera's displays were in Japanese. Of course I had to cancel the order, but at least they didn't charge me anything (yet).

I next tried to buy the camera from the GoodGuys and after a few days, they just cancelled my order. Probably because it is last years model, and they didn't have any.

Last week I ordered it again from Wisetronics. I talked to the guy today and he said it would be shipped in 2-3 weeks. We'll see.

I think you may have made a bad choice. I just checked out wisetronics at resellerratings.com, and I can't believe any store can have such a bad rating. Their 6 month rating is only .20 out of 10. That's not 2 out of ten, that's .2 out of ten. If it's not too late, you may want to try to cancel the order. There is no way it should take up to 3 weeks to receive the camera anyway. It may cost you a few dollars more but you'd be better off ordering from a reputable company like B & H, Adorama or Amazon.com. Good luck.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    I think you may have made a bad choice. I just checked out wisetronics at resellerratings.com, and I can't believe any store can have such a bad rating. Their 6 month rating is only .20 out of 10. That's not 2 out of ten, that's .2 out of ten. If it's not too late, you may want to try to cancel the order. There is no way it should take up to 3 weeks to receive the camera anyway. It may cost you a few dollars more but you'd be better off ordering from a reputable company like B & H, Adorama or Amazon.com. Good luck.
    +1

Cancel the order immediately. If they give you any problems, just go through your CC company. Then order it from one of the big guys.
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

:cryin:
    AVOID BROADWAY PHOTO AT ALL COST !!!!!!
    I was given a camcorder for xmas and called them 3 days after too exchange, boy was I in for a surprise! The &*%$less pathetic excuse for a human being who referred himself as a representative was antagonistic from the start. After I inquired why I couldn't exchange the gift he said we were too late, b/c it was purchased in november. I asked him "So should I have asked what my mother in law got me for xmas?" He didn't like that, and really disliked it when I inquired why their online prices didn't match the expensive quotes he was giving me over the phone.
    Again, he threatened to offer no exchange and I countered that I would see his company in small claims court. And after I asked to speak to a supervisor, he responded "I am the the supervisor", what is this, and episode of the Chappelle Show? Then for the grand finale, I was transferred to the gallows manager, and folks, I kid you not, I started by saying "Hello Gabe, how are you?" and his heartwarming response, "Great, until I had to talk to you."
    The facts...
    -We contacted our credit card immediately, they were very helpful in helping us getting our money back. Document everything, make copies of receipts, etc..
    - Contact BBB and new york attorney general, file a formal complaint
    - Blog, let other people know.

If Hitler's henchmen were alive, I truly believe they could find employment at none other than....BROADWAY PHOTO.

Screw these guys and may they all rot in _ _ _ _.

I have some of the same experiences, my first deal with them went well, when I tried to order my Nikon D300 from them, I got this line about the battery and how I needed to up grade to their better one, told them, just send the camera, I don't need there batteries memory cards or any thing else. That's when the sales man got real snotty with me, so you know all about what you need? Yeah I said. B&H Photo and hung up on them and will never take that kind of crap from someone I'm trying to give my money to.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie8677

I just had the worst shopping experience of my life with Broadway Photo--I am 45. Not only was I cheated and lied to, but when I sought help they were, amazingly, abusive. Buying a digital camera from them is supposed to give me 7 days to get my money back and I will fight with all I have to do that.
    Check out the Better Business Bureau link:cryin:

http://search.newyork.bbb.org/report...age=1&id=68047
    It seems to me that the issue is these crooked dealers focus on somewhat lesser known features of the camera, like batteries and who can quote the battery model number and charger model number that comes withe their camera?

My experience is very similar to the others. Placed an order and then got an email stating that I had to call to verify my order. My first two calls weren't returned and the third, after being on hold for 10 minutes, turned out to be a up-sell. I asked if this was the only reason for the "order verification" call and was told "Yes". I was then told that my unit would be shipped in 7-10 days (this is 2 weeks after I placed an order which was advertised to have immediate shipping) but it was a "foreign" model and if I wanted a US model, it would be more. I cancelled my order - we'll see if they process the credit without further input from me.

As others have noted, the "customer service representative" was arrogant and pretty nasty.
    STEER CLEAR OF BROADWAY PHOTO.

Mistery

How this ****ing business is still existing with this ****ing business practicing???
    Is it legal to operate business like BP?
    -

i bought a cannon tx1 powershot form broadway photo... i did my research.
    put the order thru online. got a call from a costumer rep.
    "we just received your order calling to confirm that"
    i said "yes, that is me"
    he says "you know we have a special with the same camera in it that would save you money"
    i said " oh really, what is it?"
    he says " you can get all these added lenses, lenses and batteries and extended warranty for not much more"
    anyways... he talks me into paying for 2 lenses that are not compatible to the camera... i confirmed that with cannon... sends me a dead battery that does not hold a charge well... a knock off battery... and to top it off they sell me a 5 yr warranty and the company does not exist anymore...

i was super ripped off...

not sure where they get there products but ... i would never buy anything from them again.

when i spoke with cannon and the lens manufacturer about the products and they both confirmed that the products where not compatible ... broadway photo still insisted they where compatible ( l.o.l) they are out of there minds.

from what it seems from my conversation with them... they seemed to be so sort of a fundamentalist group... the way the spoke.
    trying to persuade me by fear... and how honorable they were.

there tune changed when they found out i was an attorney...
    they sent me a bunch of free stuff.

but never admitted to there lies... and now after a year the camera does not work.

terrible... warning to you all.

Thread Information