Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Extreme frustration with Adorama

I ordered a Digital Rebel + lens for my daughter last Wednesday. I was assured by the salesman that I would receive the shipment by Christmas with three-day shipping.

It's not Christmas yet, but according to UPS, my order's status has now been "Billing Information Received" for four days. It's now Saturday, and I'm doubtful anything will get done on this over the weekend. That'll make it six days of my items being in limbo.

According to Adorama's site, the items are not backordered and have been "shipped."

Unless they take some extraordinary measures, like bumping this to overnight shipping, I don't believe I'll receive the shipment in time. We'll be traveling after Christmas (and having the camera was part of our plans), so you can imagine how I'm feeling about Adorama now.

Had the salesman indicated anything but 100% confidence that I'd receive the order in time, I would have asked for overnight shipping when I placed the order. I've tried to reach Adorama's customer service department by phone and email, but they aren't available Friday afternoons and Saturdays. I've emailed Helen Oster, Adorama's Customer Service Ambassador, but I haven't receive a reply yet. I'd offer to pay for overnight shipping now, if I could just get in touch with ANYONE at Adorama.

Five years ago, I had a remarkably similar experience with Adorama not getting items to me in time for a trip to Australia. I gave them the benefit of doubt because any company can drop the ball occasionally.

Some other posters have mentioned good service and prompt shipping from Adorama. It makes me wonder if there are two different companies by that name.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Extreme frustration with Adorama

Are you sure its an Adorama problem and not a UPS problem?
    Recent report on news about all the delivery companies having problems becuase of the ice/snow storms across the country.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I had a UPS shipment like that recently, never did give me an accurate tracking listing, but it was on my door step a few days later. I went back to try the tracking number and it said the same thing it had always said.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

I'm with the others in thinking it is a UPS issue. 2 weeks ago I ordered some framing supplies. Never got my shipping confirmation from UPS which I would normally get. Few days later my package arrived. Next day I get an email from UPS with my tracking number 8-|
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've never had that problem with UPS. And because I've had a problem with an Adorama delay in the past, I assumed it was Adorama's fault.

As you can guess, I'd much prefer that this be a UPS tracking error because that would mean I might receive it on time. If so, and it gets here on time, I'll sing Adorama's praises.

Edit: Whatever happens, I'll post the results here.
    Last edited by PatrickH; 12-21-2008 at 04:43 AM.

I've had a couple problems with Adorama recently. They were supposed to ship an in stock item, but I guess it wasn't in stock. Like you I couldn't get in touch with anyone.

I think my lesson learned with Adorama is they will eventually fix it, but I will not ever order from them if I'm in a time crunch.

Whether it's UPSs fault or theirs I'm just not thrilled with their lack of communication over the holidays.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

You can find my dilemma is this thread. Even after Helen posted here my package went out overnight it didn't. It went out a day later then she stated and never once acknowledged that.

Great service at Adorama

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Update

Yesterday (Sunday) I called Adorama. I knew their customer service department would be closed, so I called the sales area and hoped someone would help. (As you may know, all their areas are closed Friday afternoon and all day Saturday.)

The salesman didn't mind spending time to look up my order's record. He said it indicated that the order was picked up by UPS on the day I placed the order, and he said it sounds like UPS' tracking was incorrect. He also told me to call customer service Monday morning because they had access to more information than he had.

Later Sunday, I received an email from Adorama customer service. It confirmed what the salesman had told me, said they had proof the package was picked up, and indicated that I should receive the shipment Monday (today). It also said Adorama would ask UPS to trace the package Monday morning.

Early today, I received an email from my inquiry to UPS. It states that "our system does not show that this package was physically picked up from the shipper's location" and advised me to contact Adorama. I don't know whether that statement indicates any investigation into the matter, or if it's simply a rewording of the "Billing Information Received" status.

Somebody's wrong, and I hope it's UPS.

Update and conclusion

I'm happy to report that the camera arrived today. I apologize for assuming that UPS' tracking indication meant I was experiencing the same kind of delay I had with Adorama a few years ago.

As I stated in the previous post, the Adorama people I got in touch with the past two days have been most helpful. Shortly after I posted that, I received another email from Adorama saying they expected me to receive the package today, but they were asking UPS to track it just in case. Everyone was professional and courteous.

As for UPS' tracking: the status remained "Billing Information Received" until it changed to "Delivered" once I received the package.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Glad to hear one of our trusted sites can be trusted still.
    I had a similar thing with ups once though I hadn't chosen one of the quick delivery options.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Re: Update and conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH
    I'm happy to report that the camera arrived today. I apologize for assuming that UPS' tracking indication meant I was experiencing the same kind of delay I had with Adorama a few years ago.

As I stated in the previous post, the Adorama people I got in touch with the past two days have been most helpful. Shortly after I posted that, I received another email from Adorama saying they expected me to receive the package today, but they were asking UPS to track it just in case. Everyone was professional and courteous.

As for UPS' tracking: the status remained "Billing Information Received" until it changed to "Delivered" once I received the package.
    This is fantastic news!

Happy Holidays!

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Re: Response from Adorama

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Glad to hear one of our trusted sites can be trusted still.
    I had a similar thing with ups once though I hadn't chosen one of the quick delivery options.

As I explained directly to Patrick, occasionally UPS miss the scan of a package at the local hub - particularly at busy times of the year.

Unfortunately, this is purely down to human error, which we have no control over.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Thread Information