Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Thread: Best Buy

Liz

Thumbs down Best Buy

I've had a bad experience in 2 different stores with Best Buy this weekend. I tried to exchange a p&s camera due to a defect. They would not let me get another model, even an upgrade without paying a 15% restocking fee. They tried to pressure me to purchase a service contract for $60. They said that's the only way you can return an item for a refund, credit or another model camera.

They were very rude, and when I tried to explain, the manager overrided me by his perpetual recitation of their refund policy, making it clear he was not listening. Although their written policy specifically states that a 15% restocking fee applies with the exception of defective equipment, he said it does apply to defective equipment unless you have a service agreement. I went to another Best Buy to resolve it. They were also rude and every employee tried to pressure me to get the $60 service contract.

I'm back to B&H folks.......never again bothering with electronic stores for equipment, except maybe a good deal on a CF or something.

Liz

Best Buy, only a step up from the Cell Phone Kiosk

I do go to Best Buy quite often, and never had a problem with restocking fees. BUT, they are rude and always try to push the service agreement on you. It's annoying.

The most annoying thing, is how expensive they are. I want to buy a new tv, and the price they had was OVER the suggested manufacturers retail price. Another retailer had it for $300 less than them. Not being one to let this go, I went in with my printout from Panasonic and from the competitor. They could care less, they knew that most people go there for the convenience and would buy the T.V. without shopping around. The price matching gurantee that they offer takes time to get. Needless to say, I didn't buy my TV from them.

I only go there for photo paper, video games, or to look around. I plan on buying my TV from B&H and have it shipped out.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I'm back to B&H folks.......never again bothering with electronic stores for equipment, except maybe a good deal on a CF or something. Liz
    I've gone through times in the last few years where Best Buy has practiclaly been my "home away from home". I've bought all kinds of electronic and computer items there, including my vid and sound cards, memory, Epson scanner, Canon Digital ELPH, CF cards, cell phone, and YES, more video games than I'd like to admit.

In all that time, I've NEVER had any kind of problem with them, including returning more than one medium ticket item (nothing hugely expensive, but in the $50-$75 range) with no restocking fee. That may be a recent policy shift, though.

As for the help, I've always found all the salespeople I've dealt with to be very friendly and willing to go out of their way to look things up on the instore computer for me. The folks in the computer department have always given me good advice without seeming snooty or too smart.

One cleark even spent about 15 minutes in the back room to unpack and price a new vid game that had just been released but was not yet out on the floor. This saved me another trip (over an hour of driving time).

BTW, I always comparison shop, and so only purchase items there when their prices are good. With sales and the many rebates they offer, much of their stuff is very competatively priced.

Anyway, I just wanted to point these things out. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had, Liz, but it may not be totally fair to assume all their stores are like that...

You know, Liz, many stores now tell you returns for defective high ticket items should be done through the manufacturer, not the retail outlet. Surely there's a waranty on your camera, isn't there?
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

A couple of other things to consider...

Liz,

I don't want it to seem like I'm defending BB (although, as I mentioned, I really like the one by me), but I think more and more electronic retailers are going to be using the restocking fee as part of their return policy.

The two main reasons for this are one, a returned item cannot be sold as new again. BB and many others repackage an item that is in working order, but discount the price. A scam is to return an item, get a refund, then wait for them to resell it, and buy it again at the lower price.

Another scam, especially with digicams, is to buy the camera, use it for an event like a vacation or wedding, then return it and get a full refund, basically "renting" it for free...

Now, I completely agree with you that a defective item should not be subject to this fee, but I also think that a lot of people SAY something is defective as a false reason to return it. It's really about trusting the consumer, which, sad to say, they probably do less and less.

Finally, I empathize with you regarding the rude salespeople. The more I think about this, the more I feel I just happen to be lucky being in this part of Florida. As much as I like to put down this area, I have to say Central Florida has some of the nicest people I've ever met, including sales clerks at retail stores.

Must be that Disney influence...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

BEST BUY iS the WORST

we ordered a $400 dishwasher and service contract for $100 they said it was on back order that it would take 30 days....scheduled the delivery confirmed the time a week prior to delivery and the day came and went...

long story short useless manager informed us there was a "mistake" somehow our order had been cancelled and refunded---TO the WRONG ACCOUNT----

his only response was "You'll just have to be patient and wait for your refund---I'll have to process it thru our accounting department so you'll have to wait 7-10 business days."

funny it only took them 24 hours to take the money out of our account...most of their staff is unimformed and unhelpgul in most cases from audio , to video to computer to appliances...ugh

I'm so sorry you had to deal with such a frustrating situation LIz
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I have purchased from Best Buy...when I know exactly what I want and they have a good sale. If I need to get information about a product, I research the internet or go to a different store. With that I'd like to tell you about my experiences so far.

Yes they have a 15% restocking fee for returned (within 14 days of purchase) undefective cameras. If you bring your product back within the 14 day return policy and claim it is defective they have to examine it and that's why they want you to have the service contract. I can understand if you brought it back after the 14 days...then it would be taken care of under warranty or their service contract....but during the return policy?

One thing in defense of their service contract....It is $60 for 4 years...that's $15 a year.
    While your product is under warranty, their contract just provides extras that your warranty doesn't cover...like product failures due to dust, heat, humidity and normal wear and tear.
    Once your warranty expires their contract covers all parts and labor except for problems from abuse or accidents. They will also replace your product if they can not fix it after three tries. Of course there have been cases, I'm sure, where they claimed a problem was due to dropping, for example, and it would be your word against theirs.

As for my experience....I asked the clerk some questions about their digital cameras. He answered briefly and kept looking in other directions. I said I would like try out a camera. And he pointed to the rack. I told him they had no power source. He called over another clerk who put some batteries in and walked away. The other clerk vanished too. The camera was not working properly. I left the store and went to Sears and had an attentive clerk spend some time with me. In fact Sears has a replacement agreement. Their return policy is 60 days....no restocking fee. If you buy a replacement agreement (15% of purchase price) you can have the camera replaced with a new one (no repairs are done)...this contract lasts for one year after your original warranty ends. Of course their selection is limited but they had what I was looking for.

I then went to Walmart and talked to another attentive clerk. Their return policy is 90 days and they ask that the camera be returned in it's original condition with all box inserts. I also know that if I use certain credit cards (my mastercard in this case) that the manufacturers warranty would be doubled...or I could get a Mack Warranty online within 30 days of purchase. The problem with Walmart cameras is that you may be getting a camera that was returned by someone else. I was only interested in trying out the camera to see if indeed I wanted a digital camera so I had no problem with this. I was upfront with the clerk about my trying it out. I know many would not agree to this situation...it is an honor system afterall....but it is Walmart's policy and I have no problem returning it if I have to when I am finished checking it out. I refuse to pay $100s of dollars for an item that I either can't return or can't return without a big hassle. And I refuse to have to send a camera that I just purchased to be repaired.

While I understand the scams and the tighter policies that many stores have to impose, it is unfortunately hurting would be customers....but then it's always the bottom line. I'd gladly pay extra for a camera (defective or not) that I could return without a hassle.

Best Buy does have some of the best prices on CDs/DVDs, and blank CD media, so that is what I go there for. Other than that I dont go to BB.
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

bestbuy.com is aok

i purchased from bestbuy.com a couple of weeks ago.i ordered next day air,and it was there nextday. it was my d70.they also have a 2 yr interest free program,this cannot be beat.like all big store,they get a few employees that dont care about their job,and give huge companies a bad name.
    freelance1021@aol.com

Update

After much research and "trying out" I ended up ordering my camera (Canon A80) from Bestbuy.com during a sale. I got an email that told me it was ready for pick up at my local store the same day. I also purchased the 4 year service contract ($60)....as I stated before $15 a year isn't too bad for peace of mind and I can return it for servicing at my local store and not deal with mailing it out (unless it needs to go to Canon).
    I have since returned to the store with some questions and this time was given some undivided attention by a knowledgable clerk. Of course I already had bought the camera.

Interesting enough, there was an article in my daily newspaper about BestBuy and their take on what they called the "Demon Customer". "Some retailers are deciding that the customer can be very, very wrong - as in unprofitable. And some, including Best Buy Co. Inc., are discriminating between profitable customers and shoppers they lose money on. Like a customer who ties up a salesworker, but never buys anything, or who buys only during big sales. (give me a break) Or one who files for a rebate, then returns the item." Apparently they will be tightening their rebate policies and diminishing their offers.

mjm
    that guy.
    the service contract is a scam.
    "we can change this at anytime without notice" pretty much screws the consumer.
    buy your stuff online.

"the service contract is a scam."

That may be a possiblity, but I know of some customers that were given a new camera ( in some cases a more current model) because BestBuy was not able to fix the one still covered under the service plan. If some one is wary of such service contracts then I guess the best bet would be to get an extended warranty either through the Camera company or Mack.

Thrugh the Best Buy service contract "scam" we have received two new (beter) video cameras, a new monitor, two desktops and a laptop. All because they could not fix the ones that were broken.

And everything with the exception of the laptop was for work, they didn't even need to honor it since the plan clearly states that business items are not covered. We buy it anyway, and they still exchange it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Hope you don't mean here

I hope you don't mean Best buy only

I bought a camera through here recently and it was a great deal. Guess they have an unfortunate name association ;)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcm
    I hope you don't mean Best buy only

I bought a camera through here recently and it was a great deal. Guess they have an unfortunate name association ;)

Nah - they're talking about the BestBuy electronics store chain, and their website BestBuy.com

The site you turned up here - bestbuyonly.com - is one of many such sites, that serve as a pointer to other websites to order from. Some of these type are legitimate recommendations, given in good faith - while far too many of them are driven strictly by advertising dollars.

As always, Buyer Beware - cause it's a jungle out there!

Thread Information