Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
    Liz

Thumbs down BadgerGraphics - Worst customer service award!

I purchased a Canon 24-105 IS lens from BadgerGraphic in Wisconsin. The box arrived damaged - the Canon box was also damaged - bent in 2 places with a fold across one side. I tried out the lens, but couldn't determine if the IS was working as the few images I shot were all soft and I couldn't "hear" the IS working. I'm not a pro, and the only IS I've ever used was the 28-135 a few years ago. With that lens, I could definitely tell when the IS was on as it makes a certain quiet "whir" when you press the shutter button 1/2 way down. At any rate, I called Badger and explained the damaged boxes to them.

Their initial response was "that's between you and UPS." I refuted that by explaining that the shipper is responsible and not the receiver. The manager called me back and agreed. He told me to try out the lens and call back in a few days. I told him I couldn't afford to keep this money on my credit card, and wanted to return the lens. He argued with me for a while. I finally said "please call UPS now. I don't want to keep this lens because I can't determine if there is damage inside." He finally agreed to call them. However, he would not tell me if I would get credit for the lens. He said I would have to "wait and see" and when they get a check from UPS, I will get one.

I called UPS to confirm Badger had called. I also explained to UPS that this lens has some intricate parts and they may not be able to "see" the damage outwardly. They said they would assess it - and finally picked it up. They said they would send the lens back to Badger regardless of the outcome, but I would have to call Badger to find out the status, etc.

Today I called Badger for the status. I told them since their return policy is only 7 days, and that it is already passed, how will they handle this if UPS refuses to pay them. They said I had to wait until they hear from UPS, then they will tell me. I told them I need to know if I am going to get credit for this lens because either way, I don't want the lens. Again, the man said "you have to wait and we'll just take one step at a time."

They won't answer any questions, and treat me like it is my fault the boxes arrived damaged. They haven't cooperated from the beginning. I've never been treated like this from any dealer - they aren't even nice over the phone.

I had a damaged UPS box once before from B&H. They immediately gave me permission over the phone to return it. They credited my account including shipping the same day I returned the lens - no questions asked. When I told Badger that, the reply was "that's because you live close to NY." However, I had gotten the ok to return it over the phone.

The price:
    Initially I thanked Badger for charging less for this lens than other stores. They explained to me "people buy from us because we don't add extra charges on to our photo equipment and our prices are lower." I noticed shortly thereafter they raised their price to match that of B&H and most other stores.

I will continue to support stores like B&H that stand behind their equipment, regardless of the problem.

Liz

Re: BadgerGraphics - Worst customer service award!

Wow - that's a rough one. It wasn't directly their fault that the box was damaged but these things happen, and it's the shipper's responsibility to take care of those situations when they arise. Sorry to hear that they felt that making a few phone calls wasn't worth their effort.

I have heard of Badger, but never dealt with them personally. I've seen ads in a couple of magazines and they're only a couple hours from me. I do get to that area once in awhile and had planned on seeing their store at some point, but maybe not...

Liz

Update.......

UPS informed me today (Friday) that they shipped the lens back to Badger on the 12th and suggested I call Badger to get the results.

I called Badger and they informed me they credited my account yesterday. They did not give me any more information. I didn't persue it any further, as I'm just relieved that I don't have to deal with them any more.

From now on I will stick to buying from B&H.

Liz

Sorry you were not happy with them. I had excellent service with Badger Graphics. When I purchased a 4x5 camera I called them and asked several questions, they returned my calls promptly and helped me save a few bucks with a used lens in excellent shape. When I received my camera they threw in some freebies which I was not expecting. I will continue to do business with them.

Quote Originally Posted by redclimber1
    Sorry you were not happy with them. I had excellent service with Badger Graphics. When I purchased a 4x5 camera I called them and asked several questions, they returned my calls promptly and helped me save a few bucks with a used lens in excellent shape. When I received my camera they threw in some freebies which I was not expecting. I will continue to do business with them.

One post? I got a hunch someone works for Badger!!:idea:
    Please ask before editing my photos, I'll say yes

I like to take the pictures...

That's a possibility dumpy but, I have talked to to quite a few people who have purchased LF gear and film from Badger and all were happy and continue to shop there. Hopefully Liz's experience was an isolated one or they have gotten better over the past couple years???

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Thread Information