Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Thread: B&H Photo Store

B&H Photo Store

Hello,

I will be visiting my sister in NYC in a couple of weeks and I have coincidentally found most of the information I wanted to purchase my first DSLR.

I saw that B7H Photo was on the recommended list for places to buy and thought since I will be in the city, why not get it direct from the store?

Has anyone been to the store and have any experience with them? I would certainly require a good amount of a clerks time helping me pick stuff out, but also plan to drop some coin as well.

Any suggestions or comments are always welcome!

Thanks in advance.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: B&H Photo Store

Just don't plan to go on Saturday.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Pgh_N8tv
    Hello,

I will be visiting my sister in NYC in a couple of weeks and I have coincidentally found most of the information I wanted to purchase my first DSLR.

I saw that B7H Photo was on the recommended list for places to buy and thought since I will be in the city, why not get it direct from the store?

Has anyone been to the store and have any experience with them? I would certainly require a good amount of a clerks time helping me pick stuff out, but also plan to drop some coin as well.

Any suggestions or comments are always welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    B&H is probably the biggest and one of the best for purchasing photography equipment internationally.......

Having said that, I live in New Jersey - about 30 minutes away from B&H and visit there frequently. I've purchased most of my camera equipment there. The sales people are professional and knowledgeable and will spend as much time with you as necessary to answer all of your questions. Most of the cameras and lenses are on display so you can try them out. You can put a lens on your own camera or use one of theirs to try out (in the store). Their customer service is excellent. Their prices are right in line with the larger, more reputable camera stores in the US. The only places that sometimes beat them are probably electronic stores with their one-time sale of a specific camera. If another reputable camera dealer either online or in-store has a lower price, B&H has been known to meet that price. Their return policy is 14 days - no restocking fee.

IMO B&H should be on every photographer's list of things to do in NYC - just a visit to B&H is a fun experience.

The only negative: Be careful with your wallet - as you will probably be tempted to spend too much money!

They are closed from Friday 2:00 p.m. until Sunday 10:00 a.m. for Jewish religious observances. Check out their store info and schedule.

I just noticed they are closed Sunday Aug 11th

Store Info
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...SuperStore.jsp

Schedule ** note: I noticed they are closed Sunday Aug 11th
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...fOperation.jsp

Enjoy!

Liz

Thanks for the replies! I feel very confident in going there on my trip to purchase a camera. I will most likely visit the store on the 20th or 21st (wed. or thurs.) to avoid weekend crowds.

Now all I have to do is decide between Nikon or Canon before then....:blush2:

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Pgh_N8tv
    Thanks for the replies! I feel very confident in going there on my trip to purchase a camera. I will most likely visit the store on the 20th or 21st (wed. or thurs.) to avoid weekend crowds.

Now all I have to do is decide between Nikon or Canon before then....:blush2:
    I have an easy answer for that one! Canon, of course!

Liz
    Owner of Canon XTi, 50mm/f1.4 and 28mm/f1.8 lens and Canon A720

Actually - it's a fairly subjective decision. When I purchased my first SLR I did a lot of reading and research - BUT my final decision was made when I was able to handle a few cameras - and the Canon felt the best in my hands.

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I was just there today. I've been a loyal customer since 1987. No complaints! The store itself is an experience!
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Thread Information