Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Anyone have any experience exchanging a defective item to B&H Photo?

I purchased a camera and a laptop from B&H. And while the camera is perfect, The laptop has a problem, the power button does not work. The laptop won't turn on unless you push the power button down so hard that it feels like you're going to break it. I called HP and they said this was not normal obviously. They said they could help me, but that it would probably be faster to just exchange it for a new one from the place I got it from. Well, of course B&H is closed for the Passover holiday and they don't resume business until April 28th. So what I'm wondering is am I going to have a mess to deal with in trying to get this thing exchanged? Because if I am I will just call HP and have them deal with it. But, being as B&H is such a big store and highly praised by everyone I thought maybe since I bought a new laptop that is broken it wouldn't be hard to get it exchanged. I'd just rather know now so I don't wait a week till they re-open just to find out they won't exchange it.
    We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters.

http://www.myspace.com/johnnybukkake

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Anyone have any experience exchanging a defective item to B&H Photo?

I had to make an exchange at B&H a few years ago. I had no problems and the transaction was completed without any issues.

I had ordered a safe light for my darkroom, but when I got the bulb, it didn't work. All I had to do was call them, and let them know what I was returning and why. I think they may have given me a return auth. # but it's been so long, I don't remember.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Considering their reputation, I wouldn't worry about it. They wouldn't have the reviews they have if they hadn't earned them.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

I'm going to add info to this since I finally was able to get my answer from B&H. Apparently, they do not do exchanges on computers, even if it is defective. So in short, I spent $1000 dollars on a laptop, it arrived with a power button that does not work and now it's my responsibility to have to dick around with HP customer support. This is simply terrible on B&H's part. I'd hate to see what would happen had I ordered like, a $5000 dollar camera from them. Would I have been told "Sorry, go tell Nikon"? I don't think I'll be ordering from them again which is a shame because all my other experiences have been positive. And I know everyone here likes them. But, I do not know any big store that will not exchange a defective item, especially when it arrived that way. Shame, shame on B&H.
    We've learned to fly the air like birds, we've learned to swim the seas like fish, and yet, we haven't learned to walk the earth as brothers and sisters.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm sure it's not going to make you feel any better about the situation, but it is clearly stated on their website that you can't return computers once they are opened. I was not aware of that until now either.

From their site:

No Return/Exchange On:

* TVs, combos and monitors 37" and larger onceopened
    * All consumable items (e.g., film, tapes, paper, bulbs, CD, DVDs, etc.) once unwrapped
    * Computers, Software and Hardware once unwrapped
    * Any computers built or modified by B&H to customer’s specifications
    * Special Order merchandise
    * Underwater equipment that has been submerged
    * Educational tapes and books once unwrapped
    * B&H Gift Cards are redeemable for merchandise only and may not be redeemed for cash.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I did read that before I bought the laptop. However, it says on that same page that defective items may be exchanged. They should probably change that to read defective items may be exchanged unless it's a defective computer. When I read no return/exchange on computers I think, ok I can't return it for a refund once I've opened it. Or exchange it for a different model because I've changed my mind. Not that if it's broken I can't get a new one. I think the wording of their policy is a little deceptive. Which I told them in my email. You'd think that they'd want to make the customer happy instead of refusing to correct my problem. Because now, sure, they've made $900 dollars off me, but how many people do you think I'm going to tell to not buy a computer there and probably anything else for that matter? Probably a lot. Even HP support told me there should be no problem returning a defective unit to an HP dealer. They take the defective one, give me a new one and they get reimbursed from HP and send the bad one back. Why put the customer through that hassle? I dunno, just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, it's doesn't make sense. I work for a company that prides itself on customer service, and I really take notice when I don't get it from a company I'm dealing with, so I understand where you're coming from.

I had a bad customer experience from a local store this weekend. I called our locally owned Radio Shack and asked them if they had a part I was looking for. The woman said she would try to look it up online. Since she was already online, I told her I could give her the address of the site I was looking at that showed the part that I needed. It was a part to build a sound trigger for a flash unit and I figured it would be easier for her to see what I was trying to do instead of explaining it to her.

Her response to me was "I don't have time for that. I have customers in the store." So I said, "what about the customer you have on the phone?" I could tell by her reaction that she wasn't expecting that. She then told me that I would have to print out the website, and bring it into the store if I wanted "one on one" service.

In the end, the only thing she was able to help me with was that I now know where I won't be going to shop.

I hope you are able to get your computer replaced.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Just an update to those who may care, (I know it's not many), but for the sake of adding information to this site. I spoke with a case manager from HP. They offered to not only completely replace my laptop, but are sending me a more expensive model with more features and a faster processor, etc... They also requested I e-mail them a copy of my receipt which I did. They were very displeased to hear that B&H photo would not replace a brand new laptop and were even less pleased at the fact that they are not standing behind the HP name by firmly supporting it, be it their policy or not. I was told that not being able to return a laptop that arrived defective is absolutely inexcusable. So, yay for me, and I hope someone at B&H gets slapped! :mad2:

That's great news! I'm glad to hear that this is getting taken care of for you.

There is a member of this site (henryp) who works for B&H and posts every once in a while. You may want to send him an email and let him know about your experience. Here is his profile page.

http://forums.photographyreview.com/member.php?u=251128
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the link. I was going to PM this thread to him just for the chance that he might care. But, it seems he has not been active since Feb and there is no option to PM him. He also has his email disabled so you cannot contact him that way either. In any case, I know it's B&H's policy, but defective is defective. Make the customer happy. :thumbsup:

Thread Information