Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.

Question Amazon.com scam?

I just did a search of this forum and didn't find anything, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of a scam on amazon.com where you do a search for something, in this case any expensive camera, and it comes up with all these 3rd party merchants who are offering too good to be true prices. The thing is that amazon gives full buyer protection if you pay thru their website, which at least one of these 3rd party people is OK with that I know of, so I don't really see how they can scam you???

Ghost

Re: Amazon.com scam?

It's a scam. If it sounds too good to be true it is. Listen to your first instinct. I'm not going to do the research, but I am confident that the statement "The thing is that amazon gives full buyer protection if you pay thru their website" is not what you expect.

I wouldn't assume that "full buyer protection" means you immediately get a full refund. PayPal guarantees transactions but it can be a pain in the ass to get your money back when there's a dispute. It's always better to pay a little more and buy from a reputable dealer. Like Trevor said, "if it sounds too good to be true..."

Check the Dealer Feedback forum and the Featured Merchant Links in the reviews here. Our main dealer partners, B&H and Adorama, are very reputable and their prices are excellent. You can't go wrong if you buy from either of them.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 01-27-2005 at 11:25 AM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

If Amazon's policy was to give your money back immediately, then they wouldn't have these 3rd party scam artists - at least not very long! Maybe they'll help you out, but it ain't gonna be that easy.

Here's a test: There is only one page on Amazon's website that lists their phone number. Anyone know where to find it? Have to admit I didn't ever need it or pay attention to it until I heard about this - but think about that fact if you had a dispute...

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    If Amazon's policy was to give your money back immediately, then they wouldn't have these 3rd party scam artists - at least not very long! Maybe they'll help you out, but it ain't gonna be that easy.

Here's a test: There is only one page on Amazon's website that lists their phone number. Anyone know where to find it? Have to admit I didn't ever need it or pay attention to it until I heard about this - but think about that fact if you had a dispute...
    I only buy from Amazon.com, Adorama and B&H Photo from amazon.com's website. The other 3rd party vendors with prices too good to be true, maybe so or sell imported gray market items instead of those for the usa market. Even amazon.com screens all their vendors there's a few that slip through.

Quote Originally Posted by another view

1-800-201-7575.

I did a little research on this for a friend:
    You will notice that all of these too good to be true items are quoted as shipping from somewhere in the U.S.; when you actually contact any of these merchants, they are usually from Eastern Europe or Malaysia and want you to send the money via Western Union Money Order -- NOTE HERE, Amazon is explicit in stating do not send money via money orders as this transaction does not fall under their order protection.

Any time you see any of these new merchants, report them to Amazon.

Thread Information