• 04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
    Copy_Kot
    You, this site & photography
    I've just been wondering where photography fits into everyone~s life here, and what do you hope to get from this site. Just a simple poll.

I think I would have to choose number three for myself. It would be cool to shoot on a professional level and get paid for it, but reality is telling me not to hold my breath. I'm here to learn because I try to do the best I can with the things I'm passionate about.

If you can elaborate on your answer please do.

#1) I'm a pro and get paid for my images.

#2) I am currently doing everything I can do to become a pro.

#3) I'm just having fun, appreciate any advice, and maybe someday I'll become a pro.

#4) I'm just having fun, sharing, and appreciate any advice that will help me learn more.

#5) I'm just having fun, sharing, and do not need/want any advice.

#6) I'm new to photography and need all the advice I can get.

#7) Other

edit- lol, I knew I would mess it up. It was my first time trying to add a poll. Please just answer with a reply. I'll get it right next time.
  • 04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
    PMW518
    Re: You, this site & photography
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Copy_Kot
    ... It would be cool to shoot on a professional level and get paid for it, but reality is telling me not to hold my breath. ....

Thats pretty much how I look at it for myself too. It would be pretty cool and probably pretty fun, but its most likely not going to happen. Maybe a small personal business on the side someday, but guess I'll just have to keep going to this thing called college so I can get a "real" job. :rolleyes:
  • 04-13-2007, 06:19 PM
    Xia_Ke
    I'm thinking #3 would be the closest for me. I'm having fun with it, am open to ANY/ALL constructive criticism on my photos, but I'm not sure I would want to be a full time pro. I work in an area with lots of art galleries and would love to maybe one day be able to sell some shots on the side :)
  • 04-13-2007, 06:29 PM
    Rocket_Scientist
    Quote:

#3) I'm just having fun, appreciate any advice, and maybe someday I'll become a pro.

#4) I'm just having fun, sharing, and appreciate any advice that will help me learn more.

I guess I would be 4.5...
    "I'm just having fun, sharing, and appreciate any advice that will help me learn more...
    AND I have absolutely NO desire to EVER be a professional photographer."
  • 04-13-2007, 06:34 PM
    Frog
    Doesn't being a pro mean you have to work?
    I'm probably a 4 but if someone wants to buy something I'd be glad to accept their money.
  • 04-13-2007, 06:53 PM
    livin4lax09
    1... I guess.

I don't really consider myself a pro, but seeing as I earn more than 50% of my wages from photography, I guess I technically am considered one. Though I'll always be hesistant to call myself a professional. I dunno, I just don't think of 20 year olds as professionals in anything other than xtreme sports. ya know?
  • 04-13-2007, 07:18 PM
    Copy_Kot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    I don't really consider myself a pro, but seeing as I earn more than 50% of my wages from photography, I guess I technically am considered one. Though I'll always be hesistant to call myself a professional.

If 50% of my wages came from photography, I would be telling EVERYONE that I'm a pro (lol) :D

I hate to sound like a cheerleader... but... maybe if you started considering yourself a pro, it would get you completely there a lot faster. Attitude plays a huge role in things like this and you are already farther ahead than most people in the game (just my humble two cents).
  • 04-13-2007, 07:25 PM
    swmdrayfan
    Although I have been paid for some things (yes, I know what you're thinking..."What in the world...?"), I'm nowhere near a #1. I fall into the areas of 3, 4, 6, and I guess 7, whatever that is.
  • 04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
    almo
    I pretty much take the Ken Rockwell stance on the issue of professional photography. Being that photography itself is not a profession. There are those that make their living doing it, but to call it a profession is somewhat of an absurdity. How many amature brain surgeons do you know?

If I had to place myself on your listing I would say...

However, as always I have to make this more complicated. I have one caveat. I consider myself, on some level at any rate, an artist. This lable transends profession, skill level, or just about anything else really. I shoot because I love to shoot. This is the way I have found I best express myself. It's just frosting on the cake that it is a hell of a lot of fun too.

As for this site: I have no doubt that for the average photographiclly inclined person, be he a "pro", or she a weekend snapper, this is the best site on the web for advice, information, community, and just plain fun. We all owe a debt to this site that none of us can repay fully, but the great thing about community is we all pay it forward until eventually it comes back around to us.

God bless PR.com!
  • 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
    Tel
    3 is perfect for me! I'd love to be pro, Who wouldnt be? I mean why would you NOT wanna do something you love for a living?

But yeah, 3 is me.
  • 04-14-2007, 06:28 PM
    WesternGuy
    I am a definite 4. As I am retired, I have no desire to be a pro - maybe enter and win(?) a few contests, but not a pro, just a hobby to provide the mental challenge of being retired - don't get me wrong, retirement is grrreat(!), but you do have to have something to do with your time, otherwise you'll drive those around you up the wall!!

Cheers,

WesternGuy
  • 04-14-2007, 10:39 PM
    Didache
    Probably (7) !! I am a minister in a church in London and that means inevitably that my working life and my social life both tend to be with church people. It is seriously important to have SOME interest which is entirely unconnected and where I mix with "real" people :D

So .... I ride my bike and occasionally go on runs with my local cycling club. And I do photography, and am active in the local camera club scene. It keeps my feet on the ground.

Cheers
    Mike
  • 04-14-2007, 10:47 PM
    Mr Yuck
    3.5 here, I'm in it for the fun of it, but if I could get paid for any of my images...well...that would serve to feed my addiction rather than feed ME.

(the money would go towards more equipment)
  • 04-15-2007, 12:18 AM
    megan
    #1) I'm a pro and get paid for my images.
    #2) I am currently doing everything I can do to become a pro

I've done paid shoots. I'm working on getting more. And I'm with Almo... I'm an artist. I've also gotten to the point where I really want to get out of being a desk jockey for a big corporation, so I've been working towards building a commerical business to compliment/fund the art. Because other than food, rent, and boxing, what else is there? My art! :)
  • 04-15-2007, 02:27 AM
    Alison
    I would say I'm a #3.

I have a website that my hubby made but I haven't done any advertising because I lack self confidence, big time.

These words ALWAYS go through my mind, "if I get paid for a shoot, what if I mess up their pictures?"
  • 04-15-2007, 04:44 AM
    Lionheart
    Quote:

I've just been wondering where photography fits into everyone~s life here, and what do you hope to get from this site. Just a simple poll.

#7) Other

7. Other. I've been doing this as a serious hobby for almost 20 years now. It's a huge part of my dental practice, which allows me buy a lot of very nice equipment that otherwise would be out of my reach as an after tax expense. I can use about 90% of my dental camera purchases on weekends for myself when I need to use high end equipment (and of course I'm responsible to the practice for it should I break the equipment) , and I use the office photostudio for family portraits and friends on weekends three or four times a year as well. There is also my personal camera gear that I can deduct a portion of for tax purposes because I use it 75% of the time at the office, but which I take home everyday for my own use and for which the office is not responsible if I break it. Unfortunately, most of my photography is dental at this time. I haven't had much time for any real creative vision based photography for myself even on weekends (last week's vacation pics notwithstanding), it's been all documentation driven photography (which unfortunately accounts for 95 out of every 100 shots I take). . That and the fact that my other hobby is competing for time with this old hobby. I do take a lot of photos of my kids, documenting their lives for posterity, but that's not quite the same as looking at the world through the viewfinder and creating the what our minds see through that viewfinder.
  • 04-15-2007, 06:13 AM
    swmdrayfan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison
    I would say I'm a #3.

I have a website that my hubby made but I haven't done any advertising because I lack self confidence, big time.

These words ALWAYS go through my mind, "if I get paid for a shoot, what if I mess up their pictures?"

You're kidding, right?
    People should be running to you for portrait work. You're fantastic!:D
  • 04-15-2007, 07:23 AM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist
    I guess I would be 4.5...
    "I'm just having fun, sharing, and appreciate any advice that will help me learn more...
    AND I have absolutely NO desire to EVER be a professional photographer."

Same here. Been there, done that - I did some wedding and event stuff, joined a co-op stock agency and did some portraits. Professional work isn't for me.

Great thread though, and it might make someone think about their future. Not to mention any names, Alison.:)
  • 04-15-2007, 07:55 AM
    adina
    well, 100% of my income is from photography, but I don't support us by any means. I did double my income from last year, so it's getting better....

so 1, I guess. People pay me. I, in turn, keep the local coffee shop and various shoe stores in business.
  • 04-15-2007, 08:01 AM
    mwfanelli
    I shoot as an amateur and enjoy it. Sure, I have allowed a few firms to use my photos in their ads but I do that for free. There is no desire to become a professional, I like my current job, teaching physics and math to aspiring "leaders of the future"... LOL! OK, teaching people struggling to get through a course that doesn't base its grade on "feelings."
  • 04-15-2007, 09:48 AM
    Alison
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swmdrayfan
    You're kidding, right?
    People should be running to you for portrait work. You're fantastic!:D

Nope I'm not kidding. I am very serious.
    Thank you so much for the compliments though. You've made me smile :D
  • 04-15-2007, 11:39 AM
    EOSThree
    I guess #3 fits me the best. I continually strive to get better at my hobby and maybe someday I will sell some of my prints. Right now I keep working toward perfection, my summer goal is to get out more before dawn and stay out 'till after sunset...hard to do in AK(22 hours of daylight here in Fairbanks)but a nice thing is the sunsets/sunrises last forever. I also plan on buying Lightroom soon and plan to improve my ability in PP this summer.
  • 04-15-2007, 11:54 AM
    readingr
    I would love to be in the 1,2, or 3, but realisticly will never get there. One day I will get round to selling some photos if they ever get good enough, but at the moment my IT job keeps me in expensive hobbies (sailing and photography) which I try to get better at all the time.

Any advice greatfully received.

Alison - I always thought you did portraits for a living. You really should start taking on jobs.

Roger
  • 04-15-2007, 12:26 PM
    Greg McCary
    7) I consider photography an art form that let's me express myself. If I sell a few pictures along the way then fine. If I did it full time and made a living at it I really couldn't every cosider myself a pro. I would think to be considered a pro you would have to own a studio, work for someone else or at least be commisioned. I know one thing, this is fun!!!!!!!
    Greg
  • 04-15-2007, 01:29 PM
    Franglais
    [QUOTE=Copy_Kot

[/QUOTE]

This is closest to me. Of course I need advice occasionally, but my photography is just something that I do that uses other parts of the brain from my work and my other interests.

It's really nice to go off somewhere and feel that I don't have to be logical (my computer work) or coordinated (dancing) - I just have to use my eyes and get the subject right.

Charles