ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You might be a Redneck if........

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: You might be a Redneck if........

Gosh, I will never forget the culture shock the first time I visited the south and all the confederate flags every ware. I was like, what in the world...Heck, in many places the confederate flag was above the U.S. flag...But then again, here on the west coast and in particular Los Angeles, It is not uncommon to see a Mexican flag above the U.S. flag and I have the same reaction. It vexes me....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

You southerners need to remember that the score is still 1 and 0 North 1 south 0. We won! Really, I am almost 100% German. My family came here in the very late 1890's, I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SLAVERY! Not my fault! I didn't do it. I had nothing to do with the holocaust either, that was after my family came to the US.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    You southerners need to remember that the score is still 1 and 0 North 1 south 0. We won!
    The South shall rise again!

Considering that federal power has been so abused and states rights so crushed lately, perhaps the country would have been better off if the south had won.
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

[QUOTE=Tyson L. Sparks]You southerners need to remember that the score is still 1 and 0 North 1 south 0. We won! QUOTE]

NO!!!! Actually, we all lost and we all won. But please NEVER refer to that period as a "Civil" War. There was absolutely nothing "civil" about it. But our nation lost some things, all states lost some "States Rights", some important, some not so, individuals lost rights, although not as many as since 1961, but we gained unity. It took another hundred years but it happened. And now, I fear, that some of that is disappearing too.

Back to the original subject, I have seen far more Confederate Battle Flags in a northern state than I have in any southern state, and I have visited and lived in most. But my 3 month stay in West Virginia showed me more "rebel" flags and more racism than I ever have seen antwhere in the South.

We won't even talk about the fact that that is NOT the Flag Of The Confederacy. It's a battle flag and one of many used throughout the hostilities.
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

If there were another separation between the north and south, I would be in the Carolinas!

The Civil War was over money not slavery, the South would have had a leg to stand on if it were not for slavery. Without slavery I doubt the war ever would have happened. I myself have a souther battle flag!

How can I be lost

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

It was an economic and states rights war using slavery to rouse the populace.
    The emacipation proclamation didn't even happen until sept. 1862, several months into the war.
    The 'south' lost but we all paid dearly. More lives were lost in single battles and even within an hour of some battles than we've lost in Iraq.
    I've read well reasoned articles calculating the loss to the country due to the high mortality which may have set us back intellectually, financially, and loss of progress many years.
    The bitterness of the south comes not so much from losing but from the hardships imposed by the north after the war. If Lincoln would not have been murdered, the conciliation between the two sides would have progressed much more smoothly.

If I ever see a Mexican flag being flown over an American flag I'd be taking it down or calling the local authorities.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    The emacipation proclamation didn't even happen until sept. 1862, several months into the war.
    The 'south' lost but we all paid dearly. More lives were lost in single battles and even within an hour of some battles than we've lost in Iraq.
    I've read well reasoned articles calculating the loss to the country due to the high mortality which may have set us back intellectually, financially, and loss of progress many years.
    The bitterness of the south comes not so much from losing but from the hardships imposed by the north after the war. If Lincoln would not have been murdered, the conciliation between the two sides would have progressed much more smoothly.

If I ever see a Mexican flag being flown over an American flag I'd be taking it down or calling the local authorities.
    Very well said, Pride, patriotism are not dirty words. Tear down that Mexican flag!

How can I be lost

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Now that man is a hero. My father and both grand parents are veterans. God bless them!

How can I be lost

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973

Awesome Video!! I have no problem with people coming in to our country, but if you are going to live here, respect OUR country...... If you like Mexico better, go back....
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Amen and great post!!!
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Thanks everyone, racism really isn't much of an issue in my area. Not like it was when I was a kid. It was pretty bad then. But a new generation of people are slowly taking over and it's just about a thing of the past. Most people I know that have Rebel flags are far from racist.
    20 years ago the clan marched down Broad st, all ten members, guarded by the cops. I would guess there probably isn't a single member now.
    This was really kind of the intended to be a Jeff Foxworthy thing.
    But Frog I must agree. the American flag should always fly on the top. America, Love it or leave it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

wannabe

I am very surprised that everyone is not falling into the slavery was the reason for the War between brothers. I see in my kids history books that its taught that it was slavery.

When I went to the reenactment this weekend I found out thatthe Union burned the town of Dayton because it would not choose there side. And I read letters from the war from troops saying they are in it because they didnt want to loose there lands to "THOSE BLUE BELLIES" .
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Funny thread... with a serious edge!

Here in Southern Texas, I never see a Rebel flag at a home anywhere... or a Mexican flag for that matter. Proud Texans, we are. Quite content to be the only state that legally and constitutionally can secede from the US if and when we like. We have enough food, oil, natural resources, and guns to make it stick too!

Thankk goodness we have cameras!

Cheers
    JIM

If you read deep into history you will find it is full of lies, just like the civil war. It was not an issue of slavery but money. We almost lost WW2 and our goals in the Vietnam war were almost met. South east Asia did not fall entirely to communism. That was the goal, the domino effect.Anyway we can't change the past just our futures. Keep life moving one frame at a time.

How can I be lost

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

There was absolutely nothing "civil" about it.
    It's certainly the war with the highest percentage of American casualties.
    Is it the war with the highest number of American casualties?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    It's certainly the war with the highest percentage of American casualties.
    Is it the war with the highest number of American casualties?
    Yes you are right Paul. Almost 4000 troops died in this one battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chickamauga

Sony a99/a7R

History books are written by the winners.

Really, that's all I have to say, other than, if you think a flag for a curtain is redneckish, once you get up here, you get bedsheets. And not those solid color ones, either, it's the cheap character sheets. You look up and there's Jeff Gordan, or the Tazmanian Devil, hanging in the window.

You don't have to be southern to be a redneck.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Just A Friendly Reminder...

That the South hasn't forgotten the War of Northern Aggression!

;-)

I'm southern born,and southern bred, and when i die, I'll be southern dead.

I am unaware of any family involvement in the War of Northern Aggression. My father's family immigrated from Germany around 1900, and my mother's family were fishermen (read poor), though given the gene pool, I feel sure some of my ancestors did participate to protect their homes.

BTW, if you've never heard Jeff Foxworthy, there are Rednecks all over. North, south, east and west.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Ha. I'm southern born, northern raised, lived in the east, the west, the south and now the midwest again. I have to say I've seen that flag just about everywhere.

Depending on where you live and who sees it, it can mean different things and rouse different feelings. Probably always will, to some extent.

As for other flags above Old Glory, as a vet that bothers me a lot. I'm weird about it though. I don't feel it should be against the law, just as I feel people should be allowed to burn the flag. Do I like it? Absolutely not. However, we are supposed to be the land of the free, allowed to express our opinions freely, even if others don't agree with them.

In my view it's not much different than flying a ratty, old, tattered flag. It's disrespectful. Just ask the Wal-Mart in my old stomping grounds in Arkansas. I had discussions (respectful, friendly, no raised voices or anything) with several "managers" until word got high enough that they pulled down the torn, tattered, sad flag they were "proudly" flying.

Enough, I'm about to start a rant!

I think I'll go start a thread of respectful flag shots!!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

To me as a ''Spanican'' the flag is sacred...I am ''proud'' to be an American...I was blessed to have been born here and Thanks God my folks migrated here ''legally'' I might add...My Parents are both U.S. Citizens and proud of it...They taught us (my siblings) to be proud of the flag and what it stands for just I have taught my kids...My 8 year old twins no more about U.S. History and in particular the Revolutionary war as well as the civil war than most adults...Why? Because I taught them...I taught them about what led to the civil war which was the ''great awakening''...Yes I am all for the first amendment, but I believe that anyone who burns the flag or flies one above the U.S. flag should be deported and or kicked out of this country...This country is not and was not a Free country...It cost many ''AMERICANS'' their lives....SO THAT WE CAN LIVE FREELY.....I am so pro military it is not even funny...My regret in life is that I was not able to serve for my country but if my Son choses to serve, then so be it. I will encourage him to do so....

Every month, We send a care package to IRAQ from my company...We send toiletries, tooth brushes, tooth paste, soap, things we take for granted...We send letters and many things because we care...As far as the government goes, shame on them for the way they treat our Soldiers....shame, shame shame, but do not take it out on our soldiers....

No I am proud to be an American and proud to fly my U.S. flag in my home, business, truck, you name it....My biggest complaint is that this government has forgotten they work for ''US'' the people......

And I do not apologize for my rant....
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Javier,

No need to apologize. One of the great things about our country is that we can disagree without worry of disappearing one day.

I proudly served our country for 20+ years and carry a retired reserve id, with the understanding that I can be called up at anytime. I used to participate in a Flag ceremony that talked about respecting our flag and the costs that have been paid in preserving our freedoms.

My opinion, and it's only that, is that if we start kicking people out for doing something we disagree with, we're no longer free. You're telling people tow the party line or else. Our country was formed during a period when we, as a nation, refused to tow the line. If we had, British accents probably wouldn't sound so "cool".

I'm not saying, in any way, that I endorse burning the flag. It makes me sick to my stomach that people don't recognize how great our country, with all of it's faults, is. But I recognize that not everyone feels the way I do and they choose to express their opinions in a manner that I find offensive and that I don't feel it right to restrict their actions because I don't agree with them.

Just my opinion!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

drg

If there were another separation between the north and south, I would be in the Carolinas!

The Civil War was over money not slavery, the South would have had a leg to stand on if it were not for slavery. Without slavery I doubt the war ever would have happened. I myself have a souther battle flag!
    I have to weigh in here as this is a "nice version" of history that has been promoted by well meaning but ill informed or perhaps some with an agenda whose political motivation I will only alude to as being, well, deceptive.

My family fought and died on BOTH sides. The lineage I directly descended from left the Carolinas in the early 1800's (1801-1804), made a couple of stops along the way before my immediate branch landed in Illinois (or in one case what would become Illlinois). That exodus was over slavery and branches of the family have only in the past 30-40 years once again made contact. In fact I've met family in restaurants from Montana to Florida in restaurants and even standing in line for a movie that I never knew existed. One guy worked for me for six months before we figured out we were related.

Those who doubt or disbelieve the role of slavery need only look to the Abolitionist movement, the motives behind the Raid on Harper's Ferry, the Underground Railroad activities, and even the U.S. Congressional Record of the time leading up to to the Secession.
    Cincinnati, Ohio has a tremendous museum dedicated to the Underground Railroad and Civil Rights. Check it out.

There were additional underlying factors that go back the time of the American Revolutionary Period as well. War was coming.

Slavery was a way of life for a meaningful percentage of the economic livleyhood of Americans. Without slavery the Agrarian economics of the South would have indeed been different so the issue of free v slave was vastly important and to deny it is to minimize the impact on the U.S. of this abomination.

The vestiges of this continued in Mississippi until the 1970's.

A historian I heard speak in 1990's on some particularly gruesome battles in Miss. and Ark. (yes, there were some skirmishes that are not famous but no less deadly in these areas) put it this way,

"The war's over, y'all come down".

I have been going for years and will continue too, but this is a time in U.S. history whose echoes are still very loud today and the lessons learned and that need not be repeated again were soaked in blood.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Troy, I can't argue with you as you are 100% right...When push comes to shove it is the freedom to burn the flag that has made this country great, But I still say to those America hating folks, GET OUT and head to Cuba, China or where ever you will feel home....I also say learn to speak English as I and my folks did...
    εὐχαριστέω σύ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information