ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Red face OMG, I feel really stupid... I need some help

Can someone help me?? :blush2:

I was playing in the menu on my camera (Nikon D70s) and then it froze on me... I took the battery out, waited a minute, put it back in, and it works fine, but now, every time I take a picture, anything white in it starts flashing black....the picture itself is fine, but in the LCD screen is where it flashes black...

I don't know what I hit to make it do that..... and now I can't get it to go back to normal (my manual is packed right now as we are trying to sell our house.... this is so embarrasing!!)
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Re: OMG, I feel really stupid... I need some help

Is the white overexposed? I have this setup on my Canon so that I can see the items over or underexposed. The shadows flash red when underexposed. I use this a lot to help check the pics, especially for landscapes.

There should be a menu setting to turn it off. Try getting the manual online from Nikon. Canon offer this service.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Yup, sounds like you turned on the "blinkies". Like Roger said, it's telling you what areas of the image are over exposed. A very useful tool. I leave mine on all the time. There should be a menu options called highlight warning, or something similar to that.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

As a D70s owner allow me...

Use the directional pad, select either up or down to change the playback mode.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Axle is right if it's the same as the D80. You can also check the digitutor link.
    I couldn't figure it out the first time it happened to me either.

Welcome to the Does Dumb Stuff Club!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I had the same thing happen with my d50, and freaked until I figured out that you can use the directional keypad to see a lot of information that I needed to know but didn't know how to get to, so I learned by accident and it sounds like you just did too.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I have a D70s as well but it's left and right that let you turn off that feature. When you're looking at your pictures, hit the left or right arrow key and it will toggle through your EXIF info, the histogram, and that feature you have on now. It will take a few pushes but you'll get it!

Rick
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Thank you very much....... I am SO glad I am not the only person that has done this and couldn't figure it out....

hehe, I have been a member of the "Does Dumb Stuff" club for a long time, this is just one of the first time I went public with it! lol
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Thread Information