ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

you know, it is really HARD to figure out your best work!

I need to choose some images that will be going to a few galleries over the next few weeks - I have the worst time choosing images though! While I do love my flowers, I also love my mythical story book images, but choosing the best is tough! I want saleable items too, versus personal favorites. Humbug. lol

How do you guys choose? Ask friends and families and co-workers... here? lol
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

I hear ya....

I'm putting up 10 framed prints next weekend, and trying to figure out which ones were *good*, then which ones were good that were my *style*, then which ones were good, my style, appropriate for the audience and SELLABLE.... oy. tough calls.

Next I get to update my bio and cut window mats. Oh joy!!!

Megan

How about here? That's what Gerry Widen did (see his recent post) and ended up with some good advice (or so he says...).

Other people look at your work differently, and ultimately it is your decision. Only use your best, of course - better to have six strong images than 20 that you feel like you might need to explain. Problem with some non-photographers is that they just want to make you happy. "Oh, I can't choose, they're all great", etc. That doesn't help much. You might want to ask an artist (as in someone who works with watercolor, sculpture, etc) or person who knows art what they think too.

Well, i'm slowly but surely putting my better stuff all in one directory if you want to peek - but I have a ton more - I have about a thousand images that are all over the place on my computer and some I still haven't scanned yet - so I defragged and dragged photos into one directory where I could organize them! Anything I like I upload into this directory:
    http://bizfx.com/photography/newimages/ So if you HATE anything, definately tell me! If you LOVE something - certainly tell me!

I want to start archiving this stuff on CDs because last year I lost some really good work when my hard drive died. Do NOT want another case of that!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    How about here? That's what Gerry Widen did (see his recent post) and ended up with some good advice (or so he says...).

Other people look at your work differently, and ultimately it is your decision. Only use your best, of course - better to have six strong images than 20 that you feel like you might need to explain. Problem with some non-photographers is that they just want to make you happy. "Oh, I can't choose, they're all great", etc. That doesn't help much. You might want to ask an artist (as in someone who works with watercolor, sculpture, etc) or person who knows art what they think too.
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

My favorites are...

(Not in any particular order...)

Daisy
    Daisyweb
    Hell
    Iris (mixed feelings about this one)
    Irisscreenweb
    Mermaid (and the other images like this one)
    Whitetwins

It will be interesting to see what the others have to say on the subject. I'm always amazed by what others like and think it is funny just how subjective art is.

Good luch in your decision Janie!
    ~Brian
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

People/portraits

I looked through them and found myself most attracted in the ones of the people! here are my favorites off all of them:

abstractwild, dawneangel, flags, 5, hell, 020, mermaid, myeye, pinkfairy, rivergod, vamp, and vampire - though i wouldn't hang the last two together, and vampire has a slight edge over vamp because you can't see the teeth but the eyes tell it all.

Hope that helps? Maybe?!
    Good luck!

Megan

When I had the same problem I received some good suggestions here. I'll take a look at your work when I get a chance. I tried to create a link to my original posting which was in March. For some reason the program wouldn't let me copy the page. If you click on my name and go to the post I created you will find it. There were some good suggestions, especially on how to keep the groups separate. Also maybe if you can find a site like photo.net(there are many out there and maybe you can do it here) where you can set up a folder where the viewers can see all of the thumbnails at once it is easier for us to take a look. Anyway I'll take a look later when I have more time.

Thread Information