ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: Yellowstone

Yellowstone

So i just found out that this summer (June through September) i will be working and living in yellowstone NP, YAY! i'll be working as part of a wildlife health project, concentrating on the amphibian aspect, and helping out with a water fowl portion, and maybe a little bit on squirrels and bats.

anyways juts wanted to share, and see if anyone had any advice on which teleconverter i should get (it will be used on my 70-200 2.8 vr)
    im leaning towards the 1.7X but debating between the 2.0x. im not sure when i'll be out shooting ( most animals are MORE active at dusk and dawn- but ive never been to Yellowstone so im not sure if you can see alot during the day there), and the cheaper price is definitely a positive, and supposedly better IQ from the 1.7. but will i regret not having the extra reach?
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Yellowstone

If you're out at dusk and dawn, I'd say the extra stop may make a difference.
    Plus from my Canon experience 1.4x is better IQ than 2x.

Maybe you need a 400mm VR, or even longer, fast prime
    I would seriously consider renting a longer lens to get the best of the opportunity.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

id like to rent, but it wold be pretty expensive to rent one for 4 months.

its always an option to try one for a week or so, but the rest of the time, i'd like to have this option.

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

That's an awesome assignment! I would love to have that kind of time in the Park. I think I'd run right out and get a 500 f/4, good-bye bank account...

I have the Kenko 1.4x it's been a good TC for me. I chose it over the Canon because after research I decided it had the best combination of center and edge to edge sharpness over the Canon 1.4. The Canon was definitely the sharpest in the center, but the Kenko was best overall.
    Last edited by EOSThree; 04-03-2010 at 07:22 AM.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

n8

sounds like an awesome opportunity. good thing film is cheap nowadays.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Once you know the habitats, and where the best photo opportunities are, that's the time to rent.
    Some rental companies give a discount on purchases through them.
    So if you can afford it you could rent both and make up your mind from experience which extender to buy.

Otherwise, I'd make sure you get a good 2x
    I suspect mine may be optically flawed, the results aren't as good as I expect.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

If you main goal is to shoot your wildlife health project subjects, your current lens selection should be fine. If you plan to shoot wolves, elk, bear, mtn lions, etc.
    400mm would be minimum so my vote is the 2x
    Congrats on the assignment, I hope you will have internet access would love to checkout what's going on up there.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

I plan to shoot opportunistically every thing i see. that said, other field jobs ive gotten opportunities to go out with other groups and say, catch elk calves and what not, so i hope to definitely shoot the big mammals. as far as the animals ill be working with (herps and i guess water fowl) i should be fine with what i have, especially since i don't have much interest in bird photos :-P

another thing i think would come in handy is a good bean bag (to use on my car, since i assume a lot of chances will be when driving, with no time to set up a tripod).

does anyone have a link to a good site for them?

also im not sure about internet, he said last year at the housing area there wasn't any, but the office does (not sure if i can use it for personal use) and im sure the hotels and stuff do, if i could sneak on to those. if not, you'll get alot of photos in september/october when i get done.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

I like this one, and this one.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

nice, the fat bag is kinda what i want, what did you fill yours with? im thinking rice would work well. how easy is it to sit on flatter surfaces though? like say the roof of a car?

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

I bought the filled one, but I think beans or peas would probably work pretty well. I guess rice would work too. It's sits kind of tripod like on a flat surface.

Based on my experience from a number of trips through YNP over the years, you will see a lot of wildlife during daylight hours and you get a lot of hours up here in midsummer. Maybe it is just the lens-lust I've contracted, but I suspect that whatever lens you bring, you will still want a little more reach! If you have a camera store nearby that is willing to work with you, I'd suggest bringing your camera and 70-200 to the store, set up on a tripod and shoot a couple long distance subjects that you can evaluate to determine sharpness with each converter. Then make your decision. Alternatively, rent them prior to your trip and make the same evaluation. A couple of the camera stores I frequent are willing to go the extra mile to make a sale right now, so I'd give that route a try first because it is free and quick!
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

I've had both the 1.4x and 2x Canon versions. I found that the 1.4x wasn't enough for N&W subjects. With good camera techniques, one could easily crop an image to produce moderate sized enlargements with the same angle of view as those produced with the 1.4x TC.

If I had only the 1.4x and the lighting was not optimal, I would rather keep the ISO as low as possible and crop rather than lose the extra stop. But if I had only the 2x, at least I would have something if the extra magnification was really needed.

I sold my 1.4x and kept my 2x - my second most used accessory after tubes.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

so i just ordered the 1.7X. i just feel the light loss will be to much with a 2x, we'll see what i think when it gets here.

also no shops around me carry ANY of the nikon tcs so i was out of luck there. i may still try to rent a big boy lens once i'm out there for a bit and survey the situation.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    SB-600

WOW you are so lucky, I been there 2 times I use a 2x with 200 mm it was ok but you lose a critical F stop to shoot wild life. I shot this with a 180 mm

If you are still there in mid to late September, I may look you up and buy you a beer at the BBQ joint in West (Yellowstone). That's kind of in my winter neck of the woods.

Thread Information