• 11-17-2009, 06:00 AM
    jetrim
    1 Attachment(s)
    World's largest cruise ship (for now)
    Oasis of the Seas pulled into Port Everglades this past weekend, and the photos just don't do this monster justice... This shot was taken from close to half a mile away, as it's docked at the far end of the port. Going to try to get some more shots this weekend as it clears the jetty on it's "maiden voyage" (at least it's first voyage with paying customers). Supposedly it has just under double the number of guest cabins as the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, has rooms (and it wasn't that long ago that it was the largest hotel ever)
  • 11-17-2009, 06:11 AM
    Grandpaw
    Re: World's largest cruise ship (for now)
    You did an outstanding job on this shot! The ship sure does look top heavy. I wouldn't want to be on it in ruff seas, Jeff
  • 11-17-2009, 10:29 AM
    hminx
    That is one very impressive ship, even the dockside crane seems to be in awe. It must have a very efficient set of stabilizers otherwise I don't think I'd like one of those top cabins in a heavy sea.......:)
  • 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
    GB1
    Yep, looks very top heavy !!
  • 11-17-2009, 11:32 AM
    armando_m
    what a huge ship!

it's size makes the crane look small
  • 11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
    OldClicker
    Nice shot. I read an story about the trip over from where it was built (Norway? Sweeden?) and there was a bridge that it wouldn't fit under unless they had it at full speed because it sits a little lower in the water at speed. I guess they got it right right. :-) TF
  • 11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
    jetrim
    Seems like not that long ago QE-II was the largest so I'm sure it won't be long before something else dwarfs this one, but I heard on the local news she stands 170' from waterline to the top and is as big as the Empire state bldg. laying on it's side. They estimated 300+ pro photographers were out on the South jetty when she came into port Friday morning.
  • 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
    Shebang
    I read this thing has telescoping smokestacks that were lowered so as to clear this bridge and there was still only about 2 feet of clearance - at a fast speed. That's close. That's huge.
  • 11-18-2009, 06:57 PM
    cm_mtb
    It looks kind of ugly to me. The beauty of modern design. :) Definitely looks top heavy too.

Half a mile away with a 140mm focal length... wow, that's big.

Nice work. :thumbsup:
  • 11-18-2009, 10:58 PM
    Frog
    Great photo. I've never understood the attraction of cruise ships. Like going on a vacation and having to stay at your hotel the whole time.
  • 11-20-2009, 06:37 AM
    Speed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrim
    Oasis of the Seas pulled into Port Everglades this past weekend, and the photos just don't do this monster justice... This shot was taken from close to half a mile away, as it's docked at the far end of the port. Going to try to get some more shots this weekend as it clears the jetty on it's "maiden voyage" (at least it's first voyage with paying customers). Supposedly it has just under double the number of guest cabins as the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, has rooms (and it wasn't that long ago that it was the largest hotel ever)

I read that this thing is designed to carry 5,400 passengers! Crew of 2,165. No thanks!
  • 11-20-2009, 09:25 AM
    armando_m
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    I read that this thing is designed to carry 5,400 passengers! Crew of 2,165. No thanks!

LOL ! specially designed for private, romantic honey mooners :D
  • 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
    splats
    It still befuddles me how some thing That big, can float
  • 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
    Franglais
    Quote:

Originally Posted by splats
    It still befuddles me how some thing That big, can float

It's mostly air. I looked up the plans. As you can see from the photo, the upper part from left to right is:

- a couple of fairly lightly built hotel rooms
    - a big gap
    - another couple of fairly lightly built hotel rooms

It's like that almost all the way from front to back. The lower part is a solid metal barge with probably not a lot under the waterline.
  • 11-21-2009, 11:09 AM
    natgaines
    5X larger than the Titanic I hear? Just hearing that comparison makes me a little nervous! Lovely shot! Always neat when you can capture history!
  • 11-21-2009, 05:49 PM
    icicle
    Holy mother of Joesph, that is one massive cruise ship.
    I would rather take a smaller one. that has a little style to it.

Great Shot
  • 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
    mjs1973
    That thing is huge. Here is a link to some more photos of the ship.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...ss=The%20Frame

It looks pretty cool, but not my idea of a vacation. The fewer people, the better for my vacation. :)