Window Light Portrait

Printable View

• 03-08-2007, 06:48 AM
    Old Timer
    1 Attachment(s)
    Window Light Portrait
    I caught Joy sitting at the breakfast table Saturday morning with some pretty nice light streaming in. I'm certainly not know for my portraits but I'd be interested in what you guy think about this. And If you have a favorite gal or guy in your life that you'd like to share a picture of here feel free to post away. I'd rather see candid natural light portrait rather than studio stuff if you don't mind.
  • 03-08-2007, 06:54 AM
    adina
    Re: Window Light Portrait
    This is gorgeous! Photography and the model. I'm sure she is thrilled with it.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:04 AM
    Old Timer
    Well thank you very much Adina. Joy was pretty pleased with this one. Over the years she has become accustom to me turning the camera her way. For the most part she tolerates it. Her favorite phrase now is , "Work your magic on it."
  • 03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
    Jimmy B
    1 Attachment(s)
    One of Justin, last Sunday morning. Hard to keep a 3 year old still:D
    Good or bad please let me know:)
    Jimmy B
  • 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM
    Alison
    One word OT...WOW!!!

And that's not fair getting us to post our window light portraits. I'd take over the thread! LOL
    Almost all my portraits are window light as you know :D
  • 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    One of Justin, last Sunday morning. Hard to keep a 3 year old still:D
    Good or bad please let me know:)
    Jimmy B

That expression tops any technical flaws. Love this one it's going to make a great additon to the family album. That's what it's all about for me Jimmy get these kind of pictures to top off the rows of albums that he kids will someday inherit.
  • 03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison
    One word OT...WOW!!!

And that's not fair getting us to post our window light portraits. I'd take over the thread! LOL
    Almost all my portraits are window light as you know :D

I know that and that's one of the reason I did this one. I was trying to get an image that would measure up to some of your. I don't have a 50mm f1.8, but I do have a 28-70 f2.8 and I think it did a pretty good job here. I'll handicap you a bit and say that anything you post in this thread has to be new work. How's that for putting the pressure on you. (And by the way I know mine doesn't measure up to yours, but you did make me try.)

Hope you liked my humble attempt.
  • 03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
    Alison
    Ok I'll post one...or two...or three LOL
  • 03-08-2007, 05:31 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Ok I'll post one...or two...or three LOL

These are wonderful as usual. I love the natural look and feel and as always your eyes are captivating. Nice work Ali.
  • 03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
    MJS
    Either Alison is a photoshop expert in hiding, or her whole family has just drop dead, light up your light eyes. No fair. The Shot of your wife OT is fantastic, the light looks fabulous on her. I'll be doing a new shot of my bride of 25 years for a book jacket cover soon, just haven't decided on what theme she wants. She's and author and print journalist and one of my toughest picture editors. Knows what she wants and expects me to figure it out by reading her mind.

Some day I'll figure it out.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:15 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJS
    She's and author and print journalist and one of my toughest picture editors. Knows what she wants and expects me to figure it out by reading her mind.
    Some day I'll figure it out.

Sound a lot like my English teacher/education administrator wife. I guess that after 35 years you are suppose to be able to do that, but I'll be darned if I can.
  • 03-08-2007, 07:39 PM
    MJS
    We might have to start a long term, clueless husband group.
  • 03-08-2007, 10:28 PM
    Lionheart
    2 Attachment(s)
    Awesome portrait, OT. I've always been partial to window light portraits because of the softer lighting, and the way the face as the point of focus seems more accentuated.
    Here's a couple of my son (yeah, I know, they always seem to be my favorite portrait subjects, he he).
  • 03-09-2007, 06:22 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lionheart
    Here's a couple of my son (yeah, I know, they always seem to be my favorite portrait subjects, he he).

Wonderful portraits Leon. Really like that first one, he looks really lost in his thoughts. So glad to see this post from you. We're not seeing nearly enough on your photos. Your going to let those two kids grow up on us and we're going to miss it all. For many years my four children were my favorite subjects now that the grandchildren have come along it seems my kids kind of take a back seat in the getting your picture taken wars.
  • 03-09-2007, 06:54 AM
    Speed
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I caught Joy sitting at the breakfast table Saturday morning with some pretty nice light streaming in. I'm certainly not know for my portraits but I'd be interested in what you guy think about this. And If you have a favorite gal or guy in your life that you'd like to share a picture of here feel free to post away. I'd rather see candid natural light portrait rather than studio stuff if you don't mind.

Great shot OT! The light is perfect, and that's a very nice smile you caught on the lovely Joy!

Here's a shot of my lovely wife, a reminder to all of you buried under six feet of snow, that summer is coming!
  • 03-09-2007, 07:13 AM
    MonkeyWrench
    Very nice OT. Love the eyes and smile. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Alison has inspired me as well and I plan on getting a 50mm lens with my tax return. My wife has final say and approval on all pictures that feature her. I think it’s in our marriage contract somewhere.
  • 03-09-2007, 07:38 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    Great shot OT! The light is perfect, and that's a very nice smile you caught on the lovely Joy!

Here's a shot of my lovely wife, a reminder to all of you buried under six feet of snow, that summer is coming!

Thanks for the kind words Robert. Nice to have this reminder that spring is nearly here and summer is just around the corner. This thread would have not been complete without at least one photo of the lovely Dawn. You don't have to wait for summer to take pictures of her. I'm sure she looks just as fetching in a parka. Please give her our best.
  • 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench
    Very nice OT. Love the eyes and smile. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Alison has inspired me as well and I plan on getting a 50mm lens with my tax return. My wife has final say and approval on all pictures that feature her. I think it’s in our marriage contract somewhere.

I'm hoping to add that 50mm to my arsenal soon as well Russ. I sometimes slip a photo or two by Joy but this one did have her full approval.
  • 03-09-2007, 09:50 AM
    Speed
    I think it’s in our marriage contract somewhere
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench

Actually, it's not. But it is implied.

:-D
  • 03-10-2007, 07:30 PM
    BMOORE
    1 Attachment(s)
    I shot this with the canon kit lens and a sheet hung on the wall for backdrop. This is my
    grandson, his sister made her ViewFinder debut last month.
  • 03-11-2007, 04:44 AM
    Alison
    My 50mm strikes again!!!
    Here's a shot I got yesterday while on our way to the beach.
    I thought it was a pretty good shot considering I was in a moving vehicle and in the passenger seat, twisting my body round to face my baby girl.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...MG_0482-01.jpg
  • 03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
    Old Timer
    She's gorgeous!! Nice job Ali. I spent the weekend with my grandson Jack. Hope to have one or two of him in window light to post very soon.
  • 03-11-2007, 11:27 PM
    Jimmy B
    1 Attachment(s)
    Another of Justin from this past weekend. Cloud cover outdoors.
  • 03-12-2007, 06:45 AM
    Speed
    Quote:

My 50mm strikes again!!!
    Here's a shot I got yesterday while on our way to the beach.
    I thought it was a pretty good shot considering I was in a moving vehicle and in the passenger seat, twisting my body round to face my baby girl.

Great catch Alison!

Don't you just love that 50mm?
  • 03-12-2007, 09:06 AM
    Alison
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed
    Don't you just love that 50mm?

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

I keep trying to convince myself that i love my 17-40mm L lens and I do when I run out of space but my 50mm is my TRUE LOVE!

Here's a shot I got of Trinny today. She is standing by the baby gate in our kitchen door. The kitchen windows are behind me.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...MG_0543-01.jpg
  • 03-12-2007, 11:06 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    Another of Justin from this past weekend. Cloud cover outdoors.

Wonderful pose and expression. The main comment that I would have on this one is that the eyes have gone a little flat on you. To get a little more life into them try reflecting a little light back at Justin off a piece of white card board or some other type reflector. This should put in a catch light and give him a sparkle in those big eyes to go with the big grin.
  • 03-12-2007, 11:18 AM
    Jimmy B
    Thanks OT, I will try something along those lines next time, He was busy playing in his sand box,and I kept telling him to look at me.
    The sun will be out on the weekends here in Seattle area one of these months
    Jimmy
  • 03-13-2007, 01:27 AM
    Lionheart
    amazing what a "standard" 50mm can do. My earlier posts are also 50mm :-)
  • 03-13-2007, 05:59 AM
    Old Timer
    3 Attachment(s)
    Here a couple more that I took over the weekend while in Nashville. I caught Jack in front of a large window with morning light streaming in. Jack like most little ones can change moods in a hurry here are a few different moods.
  • 03-13-2007, 08:37 AM
    Alison
    Oh wow! Gorgeous shots OT!
    The clarity and colours are wonderful.
    What lens did you use for these?

Here's a couple more from me.
    My son, complete with ketchup, pepsi cup and rosie cheeks from playing in the fresh air lol.
  • 03-13-2007, 08:50 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Oh wow! Gorgeous shots OT!
    The clarity and colours are wonderful.
    What lens did you use for these?

Here's a couple more from me.
    My son, complete with ketchup, pepsi cup and rosie cheeks from playing in the fresh air lol.

Two more for the Oh These are Great Album. That little guy is always so animated I love pics of him. Love the way your colors really pop. I see he is in his favorite shirt too. On the ones I posted of Jack I was using the 28-70 f2.8. It is pretty much my standard lens and stays on the D70 most of the time.
  • 03-13-2007, 01:27 PM
    natatbeach
    beautiful shot(great expression and smile)...I would book her often...shhh don't tell the wife...hi
  • 03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    beautiful shot(great expression and smile)...I would book her often...shhh don't tell the wife...hi

Nat so great to hear from you. I hope you are going to post some of your wonderful images. I know you have some that would be perfect for this thread. They are greatly missed.
  • 03-18-2007, 10:01 PM
    Axle
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/4...e3f1335178.jpg

King Edward Hotel, Crystal Ballroom, after 10pm.
  • 03-19-2007, 05:58 AM
    Old Timer
    Nice job Axle! You put a whole new twist on the theme of window light portraits.
  • 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
    adina
    Some old ones....

I'll be getting my kids outside today, so they won't be windowlight, but they will be current.
  • 03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
    Old Timer
    These are wonderful Adina. So glad you finally post in this thread. You and Ali were my inspiration for starting this thread in the first place. Thanks for joining in and I hope you post more.
  • 03-19-2007, 05:06 PM
    Alison
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    You and Ali were my inspiration for starting this thread in the first place. Thanks for joining in and I hope you post more.

Oh bless you OT. It's so nice to know how much I am appreciated. Thank you.

Here's a funny one. I was trying to stop the glare in Danielle's lenses and told her tilt her glasses down a little. She came up with the pose. Cheeky little monkey LOL.
  • 03-19-2007, 05:24 PM
    freygr
    Quote:

Oh bless you OT. It's so nice to know how much I am appreciated. Thank you.

Here's a funny one. I was trying to stop the glare in Danielle's lenses and told her tilt her glasses down a little. She came up with the pose. Cheeky little monkey LOL.

Did you think of trying a polarizing filter to remove the glare?
  • 03-20-2007, 02:24 AM
    Alison
    I don't have a polarizing filter. Thanks for the tip though.