ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Why am I taking your picture?

I've always been interested in Street Photography, but I've never really done any. I've read numerous articles and threads with people explaining their methods, tips, tricks, etc.. Common advice is to shoot as if you're doing nothing wrong, and be honest with people about what your doing. Well, that's my problem. I don't know why I want to shoot strangers in public. I just find it interesting. If someone where to ask, I wouldn't know what to say. I suspect that most people don't ask or don't care, but I would feel better if I understood it and could explain it.

So, my question to all the street photographers out there is this: How do you explain, to yourself and to your subjects, why you want to take photos of strangers?

Thanks,
    Paul

Re: Why am I taking your picture?

I would have to say watch who you take photos of some people value their privacy. With the way people photoshop faces and add them to questionable websites.

Hi Paul,

Just say your doing a photo assignment on people in your community. If you have a long lens you don't have to stand on top of your subjects. I sometimes use a 35mm lens and set the depth of field so I don't have to put the camera to my eye and shoot from waist level. I've gotten some good images that way.

Cheers,

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

Thanks for your comments. I'd just about given up on this thread.

CyberF828,

I hear what your saying, but I have no idea how to pick out the people who are sensitive about it. How can you tell from looking? I usually refrain from photographing women that are too good looking because I don't want to look like a perv or a stalker. Sometimes that means I miss a good moment. Maybe with experience I'll gain the confidence to avoid that problem.

Jim,

I can think of a lot of good excuses to give people, but that's what I'm trying to avoid. I'd rather just tell the truth, but I'm not sure how. I'm a bad lier, so if I give some BS reason for what I'm doing, people will see right through me. Of course, if there's some angry biker asking me, who knows what I'll say.

Right now I'm using a newly acquired Canonet with a 40mm lens. So far I think it's great for street shots, but I'm still getting used to the focusing. I took a shot from my waist just last night, but I doubt I pulled it off. I set the focus for 10 feet and as I was walking by I guessed at my distance to time the shot.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    I've always been interested in Street Photography, but I've never really done any. I've read numerous articles and threads with people explaining their methods, tips, tricks, etc.. Common advice is to shoot as if you're doing nothing wrong, and be honest with people about what your doing. Well, that's my problem. I don't know why I want to shoot strangers in public. I just find it interesting. If someone where to ask, I wouldn't know what to say. I suspect that most people don't ask or don't care, but I would feel better if I understood it and could explain it.

So, my question to all the street photographers out there is this: How do you explain, to yourself and to your subjects, why you want to take photos of strangers?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul,

I think you have to consider your safety first (there are some real nut-jobs out there and risking your safety doesn't justify capturing a potentially great photograph). And if someone asks why, in my opinion, it's best to just tell the truth like you said. If you are on public property, and presumably doing nothing wrong, you have no reason to lie. And if you are on public property, you can photograph anyone.

Yep, it can be very difficult to explain why you took their picture, especially since most folks hate having their photo taken...

I realize I haven't given you a good reason to tell your subjects, but I also don't think there is one simple explanation either.

As you mentioned, I think the truth works best.

Max

p.s. are you familiar with Garry Winogrand's work?
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Max P D
    Paul,

I think you have to consider your safety first (there are some real nut-jobs out there and risking your safety doesn't justify capturing a potentially great photograph). And if someone asks why, in my opinion, it's best to just tell the truth like you said. If you are on public property, and presumably doing nothing wrong, you have no reason to lie. And if you are on public property, you can photograph anyone.

Yep, it can be very difficult to explain why you took their picture, especially since most folks hate having their photo taken...

I realize I haven't given you a good reason to tell your subjects, but I also don't think there is one simple explanation either.

As you mentioned, I think the truth works best.

Max

p.s. are you familiar with Garry Winogrand's work?
    Thanks for the comment, Max. Yes, safety first. I think the truth is always best, but I don't really feel like I need to explain to someone why I took any specific photo. I just want to be able to give a general explanation of what I'm doing when I photograph strangers. I think I'm starting to understand it. Hopefully this conversation and some pondering will help me put it all together.

Paul

Paul,

And if you are on public property, you can photograph anyone.
    They (the law makers) are attempting to change that. I also agree that alot of people are not going to want to be photographed. Example your daughter and yourself are walking down the street and someone you notice is taking her pic would you be happy. Trust me I get the whole photograph thing cause I love to shoot as much as the next guy. I say you just have to pick your shots then and hope for the best.

And if you are on public property, you can photograph anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberF828
    They (the law makers) are attempting to change that. I also agree that alot of people are not going to want to be photographed. Example your daughter and yourself are walking down the street and someone you notice is taking her pic would you be happy. Trust me I get the whole photograph thing cause I love to shoot as much as the next guy. I say you just have to pick your shots then and hope for the best.
    CyberF828,

Are you saying law makers are trying to ban shooting in public i.e. city parks, the street, etc. or potential terrorist targets such as subways, bridges and the like?

To play the devil's advocate, if a strange photographer took a shot of me, I, too, would be very curious why they would be taking my photo...

Keep on keepin' on, :thumbsup:
    Max
    "Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire." - Reggie Leach

FWIW,

In my first post to this thread I referred to my favorite street photographer Garry Winogrand. It's been a few years since my media law class and I know enough not to publish a photo of someone showing them in a bad light.

In Winogrand's book, Figments From the Real World, some of his subjects are shown in less than a flattering situation. And I would bet the farm that he never got a photo release. Maybe there is a statute of limitations or some other legal loophole I'm not aware of...

I guess if you never intend to publish a street photo you're golden.

On the other hand, posting a photo on this site would be considered publishing (please correct me if I'm wrong). And for that reason I am very leery of posting a stranger's photo without a release...

I dunno, call me paranoid, but in this litigious society I'm just trying to cover my butt... :blush2:

Best,
    Max

Tell them, you are interested in candid and street photography to display another aspect of your skills in your portfolio. If you are a pro and have a card, put candid or street photography on it, have copies available and hand it to them.

I find that if you choose a tourist centre in the summer or winter where everyone is carrying a camera and shooting photos, no one will bother you. A superzoom is great for street photography because it is difficult for anyone to figure out what or who you are shooting. I also have an LCD that can twist to several angles, allowing shots from the waist or around curves etc. A pocket camera with a good zoom and manual settings is also useful in even more restrictive situations.

With journalistic experience, I also tend to keep in the shadows, off at an angle, wear dull clothing, and don't draw attention. If you are with a "companion", often you can even "seem" to be taking a photo of him or her.

There are all kinds of approaches and different methods that fit different situations. Either I have been lucky, or my methods have prevented me from being the subject of any harassment etc.

Ronnoco

CyberF828,

Are you saying law makers are trying to ban shooting in public i.e. city parks, the street, etc. or potential terrorist targets such as subways, bridges and the like?

Keep on keepin' on, :thumbsup:
    Max
    Yes it was on TV I would say 5 or 6 days ago. I think it was Dateline or something similar TV show. After 9/11 they have been brainstorming alot of things. How do you know when far is too far for security and freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Tell them, you are interested in candid and street photography to display another aspect of your skills in your portfolio.
    Thanks for the comment, Ronnoco. This is what I want to do, but I'm not sure of an effective way to explain it. I don't think most people know what "street photography" is. I'm not a pro, so I have no business cards.

Paul

Thanks for the comment, Ronnoco. This is what I want to do, but I'm not sure of an effective way to explain it. I don't think most people know what "street photography" is. I'm not a pro, so I have no business cards.
    Paul
    You should take a particular note to what he said after that first paragraph because he just gave good advice. What he said has worked well for me so far and I mainly shoot in the streets.
    Olympus E-Volt 500
    "Whoever controls the media, controls the mind"
    -Jim Morrison

Here is a site for Photo rights

http://photorights.4020.net/

Here is a site for Photo rights

http://photorights.4020.net/
    That is mostly for Australia. The differences seem to be the definition of a "public place".
    In the U.S. for example it has been defined by the Supreme Court as "a place to which the general public has access". This could of course include libraries, arenas and a wide variety of other buildings and venues. In Canada related to the copyright act, they seemed to have defined anything that is not a home or residence as a "public place".
    Québec law is based on the French system, so applying a ruling there to the rest of Canada is rather a "stretch" to say the least and not likely to hold up in the rest of Canada.

As I have indicated before in the Photography law forum, yes, property owners can make rules against photography but their only option, if you choose to ignore them is to tell you that you are trespassing and to leave the property. As the photographer you still retain any photos that you have taken and the rights to use them. As indicated in the site and it applies to both Canada and the United States as well: property, buildings, structures, artistic works permanently in a public place etc. are not subject to any kind of copyright that prohibits photography or limits the rights of the photographer to any photo taken.

Ronnoco

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

It is my understanding that one can take pictures of anything that can be seen from public property; e.g: I'm on the street and can take a pic of your house.
    Please, tell me if I'm mistaken!
    toad

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    That is mostly for Australia. The differences seem to be the definition of a "public place".
    In the U.S. for example it has been defined by the Supreme Court as "a place to which the general public has access". This could of course include libraries, arenas and a wide variety of other buildings and venues. In Canada related to the copyright act, they seemed to have defined anything that is not a home or residence as a "public place".
    Québec law is based on the French system, so applying a ruling there to the rest of Canada is rather a "stretch" to say the least and not likely to hold up in the rest of Canada.

As I have indicated before in the Photography law forum, yes, property owners can make rules against photography but their only option, if you choose to ignore them is to tell you that you are trespassing and to leave the property. As the photographer you still retain any photos that you have taken and the rights to use them. As indicated in the site and it applies to both Canada and the United States as well: property, buildings, structures, artistic works permanently in a public place etc. are not subject to any kind of copyright that prohibits photography or limits the rights of the photographer to any photo taken.

Ronnoco
    Okay now I feel stupid I guess I should have read the top. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    It is my understanding that one can take pictures of anything that can be seen from public property; e.g: I'm on the street and can take a pic of your house.
    toad
    I'm not sure on the details exactly, but at some point you cross a line where this becomes an invasion of privacy. If you use a long lens to peep into someone's window, for example.

Paul

Okay now I feel stupid I guess I should have read the top. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
    It's cool. We have some friends from down under on this site that might benefit from that post.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

toad
    You are definitely not mistaken, but more than that. Whether tresspassing or not, you still own all the rights to photos that you have taken, whether on private property or not. The only possible exception is for advertising purposes, in that you are making "implications" from the photos that may not be true, ie. that they use some product etc.

Ronnoco

I'm not sure on the details exactly, but at some point you cross a line where this becomes an invasion of privacy. If you use a long lens to peep into someone's window, for example.

Paul
    Invasion of privacy has to be pretty extreme, as you indicate, in order to be illegal.

Ronnoco

That is one of the most accurately written summaries I have seen of American law related to photography. I would only repeat that common sense rules and invasion of privacy has to be pretty extreme to be considered a risk by any photographer.

Ronnoco

Just me and my camera

I've always enjoyed looking at street photography and have considered getting into it myself, so this thread is very interesting to me; thanks for all the information everyone.
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Thread Information