Who would be Interested

Printable View

• 08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
    natatbeach
    Who would be Interested
    W'eve had some gathering excitement around here....so getting on the band wagon...

I've been on these boards for about 4 years and there's been lots of "location" gatherings....

Wondered---- if anyone thinks or has thought about planning about a year out and doing a
    gathering on the scale of a large family reunion. Where we finally get to meet each other without the restricitions of time or specific locations---I figure a year gives everyone even those abroad to plan and execute if they want to....

Maybe picking a central location that's easy to fly, walk,swim, bike or drive to for most and once that location is picked---maybe we can all work on planning the event using individual talents. I have some experience with palnning a large event---I got about half (about 125 showed up) of my graduating class together at a local restaurant with three months of planning...

so just vote---
  • 08-31-2006, 10:35 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Who would be Interested
    I think this is a great idea. If it's planned far enough in advance and not on the other side of the world (sorry Aussies), then I would be obligated to attend. I might even enjoy it :)
  • 08-31-2006, 10:58 AM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Just to toss out an idea .... A 7 day cruise to some nice ports of call would be a nice thing to do. In that situation people can do their own thing or go out to ports as a group. All food is taken care of up front with the cost of the cruise, only thing to pay for are souviners and alochol or other drinks. Then everyone is together at night on the ship with plenty of stuff to do. and during the day you get to go shoot different ports of call ... carribean , mexico , etc ...

plus for people that have never taken a cruise but have wanted to this could be a nice opportunity for that also .. take the whole family along and have a nice get together / vacation all in one ...
    I am a definate maybe on this.. depends how this coming year is for us ... but as said .. planned far enough away .. should be easy to come meet and greet and hopefully learn some tricks !

just tossing out an idea !

Ben ....
  • 08-31-2006, 12:05 PM
    Old Timer
    I for one think it's a great idea. I know that no one could commit completely at this point until date and location are set, but lets give it a try and see what happens.
  • 08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Well...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by natatbeach
    We've had some gathering excitement around here....so getting on the band wagon...

Certainly in theory, this is a great idea, nat. But realistically (and not to be a naysayer), I see this turning out to be basically the same as a regional gathering. I mean, we routinely get between 10-20 folks at some of our regional gatherings, right? So, what would be the expectations of a "national" gathering? 40? 50? Is that possible? Will that many people be able to take a week off? And travel? At the same time?

Most importantly, what would be the higher purpose of this get together? Just so we can meet each other?

Again, I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, just ask a few obvious questions that will need to be answered before anything like this takes shape.

As for me, I'll have to approach it exactly like a regional gathering. If it's not too far away and I have free time and money, I'll certainly consider going... :thumbsup:
  • 08-31-2006, 01:31 PM
    natatbeach
    Re: Well...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve

Most importantly, what would be the higher purpose of this get together? Just so we can meet each other?

higher purpose
    --- ummmm----because it would be fun!

so we can meet each other? --- well ya! duh:D and because it would be fun!

bubble burster ---:rolleyes: :D --- you need to have more fun---

It's not about the numbers it's about the enthusiasm...if 7 people show and they're excited and have been looking forward to it for a year ....then it'll be a blast
    If 100 people show---it'll be a blast.

There's been two or three gatherings that happened so quickly that I couldn't make any plans---this is an opportunity for the poeple like me and everyone else that can do short term to all look forwards to something to do and a place to learn for 3-4 days that's all...
  • 08-31-2006, 01:32 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I for one think it's a great idea. I know that no one could commit completely at this point until date and location are set, but lets give it a try and see what happens.

yay! good let's start thinking/ tossing ideas out there....:D :idea:
  • 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Just to toss out an idea .... A 7 day cruise to some nice ports of call would be a nice thing to do.
    Although I would love to be the first to say sounds great---and it does...I for one know I couldn't even with a year out afford a 7day cruise...I think it's a fantastic idea....

I would like for all of us to come up with ideas that will require minimal $$$ to all involved so we can utilize that for dinners and photo exchanges and accomodations.... I think you have the right idea of a place that's Naturally going to gather us if that makes sense.:)
  • 08-31-2006, 01:35 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think this is a great idea. If it's planned far enough in advance and not on the other side of the world (sorry Aussies), then I would be obligated to attend. I might even enjoy it :)

hear hear El Capitan:thumbsup:
  • 08-31-2006, 02:22 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Quote:

so we can meet each other? --- well ya! duh:D and because it would be fun! bubble burster ---:rolleyes: :D --- you need to have more fun---

I think you're missing the entire point of my post, but whatever. So ok, guess I'm the dumb one for not getting it. And the serious one...

Anyway, I'll step aside and let you all hash out whatever it is you're going to hash out. How's that sound?... :cool:
  • 08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
    walterick
    ArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaA rizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAr izonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAri zonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAriz onaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizo naArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizon aArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizona ArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaA rizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAr izonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAri zonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAriz onaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizo naArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizon aArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizona ArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaA rizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizona...

In the fall of '07? :D
  • 08-31-2006, 02:58 PM
    adina
    Oh please. Milwaukee is much more centrally located than Arizona. We could have a beer tasting.

I agree with Steve, though, I don't think this would be much different than a regular gathering, except with more notice, and possibly a larger turnout. And while I'd love to do a cruise, I don't think the family would appreciate me going without them, and I'm not sure they would be that interested in a gathering for a vacation.
  • 08-31-2006, 03:00 PM
    another view
    Sounds like a fun idea, but if we could only get someone to suggest a place...

I suppose AZ cools off to what, about 120 in the shade by fall? :) Being in or near a large city would make the transportation easy. Not sure that I'm up for a cruise personally but that's a good idea. Or a custom workshop open to PR people?
  • 08-31-2006, 03:02 PM
    another view
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adina
    We could have a beer tasting.

SOLD! :D

Hmm... Milwaukee has a very easy to deal with airport, Lake Michigan, very cool art museum, lots of food (a prerequisite) and beer...
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Quote:

Oh please. Milwaukee is much more centrally located than Arizona. We could have a beer tasting.

I agree with Steve, though, I don't think this would be much different than a regular gathering, except with more notice, and possibly a larger turnout. And while I'd love to do a cruise, I don't think the family would appreciate me going without them, and I'm not sure they would be that interested in a gathering for a vacation.

summerfest would be a great place for the night-time cooling :thumbsup: beer , music, beer , food, beer ... did i mention beer ?
    adina
    OOOOHHH!

Let's do a workshop! Sebastian could teach us all about the rules of photography!

:D
  • 08-31-2006, 03:04 PM
    adina
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    summerfest would be a great place for the night-time cooling :thumbsup: beer , music, beer , food, beer ... did i mention beer ?

I would not plan for Summerfest. If fests were of interest, I'd pick one of the others...Irishfest, Native American fest, Mexifest, Italianfest, Polishfest....take your pick.
  • 08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Maybe this should just be considered, "Nat's Gathering." Then all speculation about why and what it is can be tossed aside and we can all just jump on board. Nat want's something bigger, and it looks like she's willing to make it happen. Planning is the key. If it's far enough in advance and in a place that people are interested in, then it will work.
  • 08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
    adina
    Pick me Nat! Pick me!!
  • 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM
    Photo-John
    What Makes a Good Gathering?
    What makes a good Gathering?

I think answering that question will help move this forward and I think it's kinda what Steve was trying to get at. Does taking pictures matter? Does it need to be a big city? Should people stay in the same hotel? What time of year should it be?

Defining what constitutes a good Gathering will help sort things out and pave the way for a bigger, better get-together.
  • 08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
    racingpinarello
    Yes.. I would sign up for the "How to break the rules of photography class"

As for locations... Milwaukee is a great place with a great night life.

How about Denver or another airport hub location? It makes the plane rides cheaper...

Loren
  • 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

OOOOHHH!

Let's do a workshop! Sebastian could teach us all about the rules of photography!

:D

That cracked me up. :D
  • 08-31-2006, 03:30 PM
    poker
    Looking forward to seeing how this develops. I'd like to try. I've got plenty of air miles.

I'm waiting for Rick to make the Arizona Photogathering official so I can sign up :D
  • 08-31-2006, 03:31 PM
    racingpinarello
    Re: What Makes a Good Gathering?
    I think Eric laid down a great foundation for future gatherings in LA. An itnerary where people can pick and choose what they want to do.

As for the national gathering I think that people could lead workshops or specific photographic tours, such as landcapes or have a fashion shoot, etc.

A must though has to be a defined schedule that is planned well enough for people to make decisions.

Loren
  • 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    That cracked me up. :D

Based on your current avatar, I'm more interested in a styling workshop. I'll bring the Flowbee and we can get it on! :cornut:
  • 08-31-2006, 04:00 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    Re: What Makes a Good Gathering?
    Quote:

What makes a good Gathering?

I don't know what a good one would be since I have not yet attended one and am still new to photography ... too me though a good gathering would be some people with talent to maybe do a workshop or trade some secrets ... then go out and do some shooting ... maybe have 1 person good at landscapes and such do 1 day ... then another with people skills or something do the same on another day ... I know the people that don't have the skills or knowledge would greatly appreciate it ...

Quote:

Does taking pictures matter?

I think for the newer people to photography it does .. and hopefully get instant feedback or pointers from the veterans to what to do different to get a better shot ...

Quote:

Does it need to be a big city?

I think as stated before for travel reasons it needs to be at least near a big city ..

Quote:

Should people stay in the same hotel?

I think a better time could be had if people stayed in the same hotel. maybe hold the workshops in the evening to use the daytime to see the sights and or do some shooting ..

Quote:

What time of year should it be?

I think this will depend on what area is decided on ... wisconsin has the color changes in door county that could be a nice day trip ... not too expensive to get a bus to make a trip .. I am sure each area has its better time of year for this type of gathering

just my .02 ... with me being a beginner i am looking for more help on what to do in what situations ... where some of the more experienced people are probably looking for other things out of a gathering ...

Ben
  • 08-31-2006, 05:12 PM
    Photo-John
    Should we make a map?

Anyone know how to set up a Google or Yahoo map so we can all stickpin our loactions? That might direct us to a central point.

Plus, it would be cool to have a map like that on the site :)
  • 08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    i used to have one of the states ... for an r/c site .... have to see if i can dig it up again and get it running ... if someone has something else go ahead ...
  • 08-31-2006, 06:13 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    I think you're missing the entire point of my post, but whatever. So ok, guess I'm the dumb one for not getting it. And the serious one...

Anyway, I'll step aside and let you all hash out whatever it is you're going to hash out. How's that sound?... :cool:

??? ---I really meant no offense by what I said...I was really joking to some degree---I do understand what your saying.... but i never one to side with reason :p
  • 08-31-2006, 06:20 PM
    walterick
    Arizona is way better than Milwaukee. Here's why:

1) The name is cooler. I mean, who can't think of Milwaukee without getting mental images of coke bottles on a conveyer belt and getting the theme song to Liverne and Shirley stuck in your head? Just creepy, if you ask me.

2) I'm here. I'm not there.

3) Our state flag looks like a sunset. If you go to enough interesting places, we might see one.

4) Despite prior (read: Steve's) concern, our temperatures are a pleasant 85 degrees in mid-October here in Phoenix. Compare that with the mid-50's in Milwukee! Brr!

5) Phoenix is a major airport hub.

6) The secret city we'll all be staying in has really cheap hotels.

7) We have really cool cacti.

8) We border on another country. Oh, wait...

9) I'm here.

And the number 10 reason to come to Arizona rather than Wisconsin for the National Gathering...

10) Grand Canyon
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...//506/gc_1.jpg

Sedona
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...69780hiker.jpg

Lake Powell
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...e_powell_5.jpg

Antelope Canyon
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...antelope_7.jpg

and Monument Valley.
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...monument_1.jpg

That's the best I could do on short notice.

I'll even throw in a night photography workshop for free :D

But, you know, Nat you have to make your own decision...
  • 08-31-2006, 06:43 PM
    natatbeach
    My top four choices are

1. Washington D.C.
    2. Nashville
    3. Denver
    4.Austin or Houston

Other thoughts:
    Balloon Fiesta- Albuquerque is usually in October
    Fireworks-4th of July in D.C. (they host a cultural event featuring food and music and displays of different cultures)

And for added note

This gathering is about a whole---not about me ... I am willing to put the work in finding the info once the location is set and getting it together...
    I was hoping this couldbesomething taht we can all work towards and contribute to...
  • 08-31-2006, 06:51 PM
    natatbeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genebowhay
    Ask and ye shall receive. Click Here! When you get there, click on "add place" and let's see where we are, so we can determine where we want to go, to get to where we ought to be. :D

And, of course, Penny and I are interested.

oh yay---you rock!
  • 08-31-2006, 07:17 PM
    Dylan8i
    i'm interested however, i wouldn't be able to travel very far (but with any luck i'll be back in utah for summer) being a Graduate student and all. plus that limits my time alot.
  • 08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
    poker
    Thanks Gene! The map is too cool!!

I'm sold on Rick's post! Good presentation....clap clap clap! Send this Top Ten to Letterman immediately.

My desire to go to Arizona has nothing to do with the fact that I have family there that will put me up for the night. Also, it has nothing to do with the fact it will only cost me 10,000 points to fly there since Phoenix is America Wests main hub.

:thumbsup:
  • 08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
    julsoph
    Ooh...Washington, DC would be perfect for me...:D

Emily
  • 08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
    Loupey
    Hey, I might even be interested. But only if I can bring a couple cages of 6-legged and 8-legged creepy crawly stuff.

And if you don't someone up in the boulevard trees shooting macros and what not.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense.
  • 08-31-2006, 08:53 PM
    zrfraser
    This time next year me and my girlfriend will be in Florida for her to go to graduate school, so anywhere in the South workd for me, Nashville more than likely since we have family close by to there, and don't forget about Hotlanta.

Z
  • 08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
    jar_e
    I'd be interested; than it could be an international gathering! w00t. Anywho, I'll watch this thread and see what happens.
  • 09-01-2006, 06:14 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

My top four choices are

1. Washington D.C.
    2. Nashville
    3. Denver
    4.Austin or Houston

Other thoughts:
    Balloon Fiesta- Albuquerque is usually in October
    Fireworks-4th of July in D.C. (they host a cultural event featuring food and music and displays of different cultures)

And for added note

This gathering is about a whole---not about me ... I am willing to put the work in finding the info once the location is set and getting it together...
    I was hoping this couldbesomething taht we can all work towards and contribute to...

Wow Nat I like all those choices. I'd go with Austin over Houston in TX though.
  • 09-01-2006, 06:27 AM
    Old Timer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by genebowhay
    Ask and ye shall receive. Click Here! When you get there, click on "add place" and let's see where we are, so we can determine where we want to go, to get to where we ought to be. :D

Gene this map is so cool. Thanks for setting that up.