ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

View Poll Results: A National Gathering

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm interested

23 63.89%
  • Not interested

0 0%
  • Maybe

13 36.11%
  • this is retarded ---who came up with this idea?

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Who would be Interested

W'eve had some gathering excitement around here....so getting on the band wagon...

I've been on these boards for about 4 years and there's been lots of "location" gatherings....

Wondered---- if anyone thinks or has thought about planning about a year out and doing a
    gathering on the scale of a large family reunion. Where we finally get to meet each other without the restricitions of time or specific locations---I figure a year gives everyone even those abroad to plan and execute if they want to....

Maybe picking a central location that's easy to fly, walk,swim, bike or drive to for most and once that location is picked---maybe we can all work on planning the event using individual talents. I have some experience with palnning a large event---I got about half (about 125 showed up) of my graduating class together at a local restaurant with three months of planning...

so just vote---
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Re: Who would be Interested

I think this is a great idea. If it's planned far enough in advance and not on the other side of the world (sorry Aussies), then I would be obligated to attend. I might even enjoy it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Just to toss out an idea .... A 7 day cruise to some nice ports of call would be a nice thing to do. In that situation people can do their own thing or go out to ports as a group. All food is taken care of up front with the cost of the cruise, only thing to pay for are souviners and alochol or other drinks. Then everyone is together at night on the ship with plenty of stuff to do. and during the day you get to go shoot different ports of call ... carribean , mexico , etc ...

plus for people that have never taken a cruise but have wanted to this could be a nice opportunity for that also .. take the whole family along and have a nice get together / vacation all in one ...
    I am a definate maybe on this.. depends how this coming year is for us ... but as said .. planned far enough away .. should be easy to come meet and greet and hopefully learn some tricks !

just tossing out an idea !

Ben ....

I for one think it's a great idea. I know that no one could commit completely at this point until date and location are set, but lets give it a try and see what happens.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    We've had some gathering excitement around here....so getting on the band wagon...
    Certainly in theory, this is a great idea, nat. But realistically (and not to be a naysayer), I see this turning out to be basically the same as a regional gathering. I mean, we routinely get between 10-20 folks at some of our regional gatherings, right? So, what would be the expectations of a "national" gathering? 40? 50? Is that possible? Will that many people be able to take a week off? And travel? At the same time?

Most importantly, what would be the higher purpose of this get together? Just so we can meet each other?

Again, I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, just ask a few obvious questions that will need to be answered before anything like this takes shape.

As for me, I'll have to approach it exactly like a regional gathering. If it's not too far away and I have free time and money, I'll certainly consider going... :thumbsup:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve

Most importantly, what would be the higher purpose of this get together? Just so we can meet each other?

higher purpose
    --- ummmm----because it would be fun!

so we can meet each other? --- well ya! duh and because it would be fun!

bubble burster --- --- you need to have more fun---

It's not about the numbers it's about the enthusiasm...if 7 people show and they're excited and have been looking forward to it for a year ....then it'll be a blast
    If 100 people show---it'll be a blast.

There's been two or three gatherings that happened so quickly that I couldn't make any plans---this is an opportunity for the poeple like me and everyone else that can do short term to all look forwards to something to do and a place to learn for 3-4 days that's all...
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I for one think it's a great idea. I know that no one could commit completely at this point until date and location are set, but lets give it a try and see what happens.
    yay! good let's start thinking/ tossing ideas out there.... :idea:
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Just to toss out an idea .... A 7 day cruise to some nice ports of call would be a nice thing to do.
    Although I would love to be the first to say sounds great---and it does...I for one know I couldn't even with a year out afford a 7day cruise...I think it's a fantastic idea....

I would like for all of us to come up with ideas that will require minimal $$$ to all involved so we can utilize that for dinners and photo exchanges and accomodations.... I think you have the right idea of a place that's Naturally going to gather us if that makes sense.
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think this is a great idea. If it's planned far enough in advance and not on the other side of the world (sorry Aussies), then I would be obligated to attend. I might even enjoy it
    hear hear El Capitan:thumbsup:
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Well...

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    so we can meet each other? --- well ya! duh and because it would be fun! bubble burster --- --- you need to have more fun---
    I think you're missing the entire point of my post, but whatever. So ok, guess I'm the dumb one for not getting it. And the serious one...

Anyway, I'll step aside and let you all hash out whatever it is you're going to hash out. How's that sound?...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

ArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaA rizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAr izonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAri zonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAriz onaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizo naArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizon aArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizona ArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaA rizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAr izonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAri zonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaAriz onaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizo naArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizon aArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizona ArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaA rizonaArizonaArizonaArizonaArizona...

In the fall of '07?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Oh please. Milwaukee is much more centrally located than Arizona. We could have a beer tasting.

I agree with Steve, though, I don't think this would be much different than a regular gathering, except with more notice, and possibly a larger turnout. And while I'd love to do a cruise, I don't think the family would appreciate me going without them, and I'm not sure they would be that interested in a gathering for a vacation.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Sounds like a fun idea, but if we could only get someone to suggest a place...

I suppose AZ cools off to what, about 120 in the shade by fall? Being in or near a large city would make the transportation easy. Not sure that I'm up for a cruise personally but that's a good idea. Or a custom workshop open to PR people?

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    We could have a beer tasting.
    SOLD!

Hmm... Milwaukee has a very easy to deal with airport, Lake Michigan, very cool art museum, lots of food (a prerequisite) and beer...

Oh please. Milwaukee is much more centrally located than Arizona. We could have a beer tasting.

I agree with Steve, though, I don't think this would be much different than a regular gathering, except with more notice, and possibly a larger turnout. And while I'd love to do a cruise, I don't think the family would appreciate me going without them, and I'm not sure they would be that interested in a gathering for a vacation.

summerfest would be a great place for the night-time cooling :thumbsup: beer , music, beer , food, beer ... did i mention beer ?

OOOOHHH!

Let's do a workshop! Sebastian could teach us all about the rules of photography!

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    summerfest would be a great place for the night-time cooling :thumbsup: beer , music, beer , food, beer ... did i mention beer ?

I would not plan for Summerfest. If fests were of interest, I'd pick one of the others...Irishfest, Native American fest, Mexifest, Italianfest, Polishfest....take your pick.

Maybe this should just be considered, "Nat's Gathering." Then all speculation about why and what it is can be tossed aside and we can all just jump on board. Nat want's something bigger, and it looks like she's willing to make it happen. Planning is the key. If it's far enough in advance and in a place that people are interested in, then it will work.
    Photo-John

Pick me Nat! Pick me!!

What Makes a Good Gathering?

What makes a good Gathering?

I think answering that question will help move this forward and I think it's kinda what Steve was trying to get at. Does taking pictures matter? Does it need to be a big city? Should people stay in the same hotel? What time of year should it be?

Defining what constitutes a good Gathering will help sort things out and pave the way for a bigger, better get-together.
    Photo-John

Yes.. I would sign up for the "How to break the rules of photography class"

As for locations... Milwaukee is a great place with a great night life.

How about Denver or another airport hub location? It makes the plane rides cheaper...

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

OOOOHHH!

Let's do a workshop! Sebastian could teach us all about the rules of photography!

That cracked me up.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. I'd like to try. I've got plenty of air miles.

I'm waiting for Rick to make the Arizona Photogathering official so I can sign up
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: What Makes a Good Gathering?

I think Eric laid down a great foundation for future gatherings in LA. An itnerary where people can pick and choose what they want to do.

As for the national gathering I think that people could lead workshops or specific photographic tours, such as landcapes or have a fashion shoot, etc.

A must though has to be a defined schedule that is planned well enough for people to make decisions.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    That cracked me up.
    Based on your current avatar, I'm more interested in a styling workshop. I'll bring the Flowbee and we can get it on! :cornut:
    Photo-John

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information